Biden 2024 Run Thread

What do you mean by the word coerced?

- Joe, the donors are dropping away like flies. You are dropping in the polls. WE don't think you should continue. That is coercion.
-Joe, we are gonna beat the living hell out of your old body if you don't drop out. That is coercion.

The first certainly happened. And should have. The second didn't. Using the word "coercion" as if that means it is bad is poor form.

Hollywood elites pulling up at the Whitehouse to coerce Biden

07fdb191_ani_wayne-brady-cop-killer (1).gif

Because for the past few weeks, he's adamantly claimed he wasn't dropping out.

Did you watch the interview with Ed Gordon?
That wasn't a man who was on the verge of stepping down.
And Trump's running mate called himself a "never-Trump" and called Trump "America's Hitler" and "cultural heroin." It would be hard to come up with words that show more conviction. And, Trump didn't turn a new leaf or anything. Yet, here we are.

If two weeks ago Biden would have said, "Well, I'm gonna look at my prospects and see if I should stay or go" it would not have mattered as he would be done at that moment.

What you are claiming is that either:
1. Biden is not even competent to make the decision and someone made it for him ignoring the mechanisms of government that are in place for such an issue.
2. We just had a coup.

I don't think either of those are even close to as likely as an old politician finally got past his ego and saw the writing on the wall that all of us (including you) saw directly after the debate.

And Trump's running mate called himself a "never-Trump" and called Trump "America's Hitler" and "cultural heroin." It would be hard to come up with words that show more conviction. And, Trump didn't turn a new leaf or anything. Yet, here we are.

If two weeks ago Biden would have said, "Well, I'm gonna look at my prospects and see if I should stay or go" it would not have mattered as he would be done at that moment.

1. Biden is not even competent to make the decision and someone made it for him ignoring the mechanisms of government that are in place for such an issue.
2. We just had a coup.

I don't think either of those are even close to as likely as an old politician finally got past his ego and saw the writing on the wall that all of us (including you) saw directly after the debate.
I pick 1.

2. We just had a coup.

I pick 1 and 2. Personally, I wish he would have stayed hooked because the Dems were headed for certain defeat. Yes, they forced him out (of course they did, good grief) and in the process made a mockery of the entire primary process and gave the big “screw you” to over 14m of their voters. Bold strategy! We’ll see how it plays out. They’ve still got a “Kamala “ problem and I don’t know who in their right mind would jump on that ticket as VP. It almost feels like the Dems are conceding the POTUS and are trying to salvage some down ballot races.

If Joe had said that he was dropping out because of difficulty overcoming Covid, I wouldn’t think a thing about it.

I pick 1 and 2. Personally, I wish he would have stayed hooked because the Dems were headed for certain defeat. Yes, they forced him out (of course they did, good grief) and in the process made a mockery of the entire primary process and gave the big “screw you” to over 14m of their voters. Bold strategy! We’ll see how it plays out. They’ve still got a “Kamala “ problem and I don’t know who in their right mind would jump on that ticket as VP. It almost feels like the Dems are conceding the POTUS and are trying to salvage some down ballot races.
I’m not sure Kamala will be the nominee. What other Dems would be interested in throwing their hat into the ring?

I’m not sure Kamala will be the nominee. What other Dems would be interested in throwing their hat into the ring?
If it’s not Kamala they still have a problem with all of the campaign money they have stocked up. Maybe they figure out a way around that but if they don’t it could be a big issue.

Party over country.

We could all see that President Biden at that debate was not a qualified candidate for president for the next 4 years. Regardless of who might win now, for the good of the country, I am glad that risk, no matter how small you think it was, is gone. You would rather give your party more chance by running against someone not qualified, and risk the consequences to the country if he were to win.

And, at the point I hear a significant number of democrats complaining that their primary vote was taken away I'll have concerns about them being "screwed." A bunch of MAGA people suddenly worried about the democrat voters being disenfranchised after calling Jan 6th no big deal? Give me a break.

Party over country.

We could all see that President Biden at that debate was not a qualified candidate for president for the next 4 years. Regardless of who might win now, for the good of the country, I am glad that risk, no matter how small you think it was, is gone. You would rather give your party more chance by running against someone not qualified, and risk the consequences to the country if he were to win.

And, at the point I hear a significant number of democrats complaining that their primary vote was taken away I'll have concerns about them being "screwed." A bunch of MAGA people suddenly worried about the democrat voters being disenfranchised after calling Jan 6th no big deal? Give me a break.
Not all of "we" could see it. I heard and read much about how he "just had a bad night"
"was fighting a cold" etc.

Also, a small sample, high percentage of my liberal FB friends are publicly complaining about their primary votes being meaningless, and wanting him to stay in the race.

This. The vast majority of people upset about this are the same people who were saying 2 days ago he was unfit to run. I would like to think the disconnect is because people on one side of the aisle have gotten to used to the cult of personality surrounding their nominee and are struggling to see how the other side could just be ok with someone else leading the party. I don't believe it though-like you said party over country and now they can't use arguably their opponents biggest weakness to their political advantage.

Not all of "we" could see it. I heard and read much about how he "just had a bad night"
"was fighting a cold" etc.

Also, a small sample, high percentage of my liberal FB friends are publicly complaining about their primary votes being meaningless, and wanting him to stay in the race.

Aren’t all primary votes meaningless? Party primaries aren’t in the Constitution. Pretty sure the parties themselves as private entities set their own rules for choosing candidates. That’s why calling this a “coup” is silly. I think the Biden campaign finally heard from enough big donors and forced his hand to drop out. We’ll see who the delegates select. I doubt it’ll even be anyone we’ve mentioned.

Party over country.

Why even go through the primary process at this point? For the record I’m not worried about anything. Just pointing out, accurately that the party that has done little other than sky scream about all of the many existential threats to democracy embedded in the Republican Party decides “Hell, we’ll just let our super delegates and billionaires pick your candidate at the convention. And you’ll like it. But hey, thanks for all that cash you sent us for Joe! We’ll put it to good use.” Wink wink

Aren’t all primary votes meaningless? Party primaries aren’t in the Constitution. Pretty sure the parties themselves as private entities set their own rules for choosing candidates. That’s why calling this a “coup” is silly. I think the Biden campaign finally heard from enough big donors and forced his hand to drop out. We’ll see who the delegates select. I doubt it’ll even be anyone we’ve mentioned.
They certainly aren't meaningless to the candidates who don't win and they aren't meaningless to me when I want someone besides Trump.

Party over country.

Republicans will never admit it but I think deep down they know what Jan 6 was, and their attempt to label this as a "coup" is a desperate, asinine attempt to say the other side did the same thing and they're just as bad.

Why even go through the primary process at this point? For the record I’m not worried about anything. Just pointing out, accurately that the party that has done little other than sky scream about all of the many existential threats to democracy embedded in the Republican Party decides “Hell, we’ll just let our super delegates and billionaires pick your candidate at the convention. And you’ll like it. But hey, thanks for all that cash you sent us for Joe! We’ll put it to good use.” Wink wink
Because it isn't common to have an 80 year old who can't finish sentences in a debate win?

But, I would be hugely in favor of getting rid of the primary process. Presidential elections should take FAR less money and take about 8-12 weeks.

Because it isn't common to have an 80 year old who can't finish sentences in a debate win?

But, I would be hugely in favor of getting rid of the primary process. Presidential elections should take FAR less money and take about 8-12 weeks.
Agree! Now it takes 8-12 weeks to count the votes.

Back