2024 Presidential Election

Then how do you minimize the impacts?
I don't really have an answer.

I'm not in favor of government control or restriction of free speech on social media.

And divisiveness drives views and posts on social media. Algorithms in social media push posts you have shown you either deeply agree with or deeply disagree with because those are the ones that you're likely to amplify.

Maybe it'll take some kind of a vast grass roots social movement highlighting the dangers of social media overconsumption and in favor of living an actual offline life.

I know that I have recently actively worked towards limiting social media and the types of posts to which I react and to getting outside and "touch grass" (to use the popular cliche). My social media (that I view and that I post) is now mostly dogs posts, food posts, sports posts and music posts. And I'm in a better state of mind for doing that.

Last edited:

Are we ever going to be able to get foreign influence out of our social media and "news"?

I'm so tired of increased division in this country. And a lot seems to come from foreign countries stoking it and certain politicians using it for personal political gain while knowing it's fake.

Some people prefer it. You see it all the time with people complaining about fact checkers on Facebook. I think they would rather spread a lie that supports their opinion than seek out the truth. I'll never understand that mentality.

I don't really have an answer.

I'm not in favor of government control or restriction of free speech on social media.

And divisiveness drives views and posts on social media. Algorithms in social media push posts you have shown you either deeply agree with or deeply disagree with because those are the ones that you're likely to amplify.

Maybe it'll take some kind of a vast grass roots social movement highlighting the dangers of social media overconsumption and in favor of living an actual offline life.

I know that I have recently actively worked towards limiting social media and the types of posts to which I react and to getting outside and "touch grass" (to use the popular cliche). My social media (that I view and that I post) is now mostly dogs posts, food posts, sports posts and music posts. And I'm in a better state of mind for doing that.
I’ve made a similar effort. This is the only sight I respond about politics.

Speaking of conspiracy theories, Trump might as well make himself look silly again by declaring that he will MAKE WEATHER GREAT AGAIN by banning use of government weather control to make weather bad. Stop the droughts. Stop the flash floods. Stop the hurricanes!

Last edited:
Another thought on early voting. I wonder how many folks are so conflicted that they just vote early so they can quite thinking about it and move on with life?
My parents both voted early this election. Said they didn't want to stand in line on election day. Of course they are both getting to that age where standing in line is actually tough on them, especially my dad. They don't mind thinking about it though and will watch the taking heads all the way up until election day.

My parents both voted early this election. Said they didn't want to stand in line on election day. Of course they are both getting to that age where standing in line is actually tough on them, especially my dad. They don't mind thinking about it though and will watch the taking heads all the way up until election day.
The only time I voted early was because the weather would be beautiful. On voting day, the weather was going to be cold and icy and didn't want to get in it.

Being sedentary brings on stiffness and old age faster, I think. Some older folks avoid it by regularly exercising, such as by walking. I've heard of some gentleman who is age 84 and walks over 10 miles every day. But maybe exercise is overrated. My mother lived to age 96 when she died in her sleep and seldom did much, such as exercise by walking. That she didn't drink, smoke, or was obese, though, probably best explains her long life, though she did have one heart attack.

Last edited:
View attachment 7919
Happy Paul Rudd GIF by Saturday Night Live

So this is our first election that we're doing mail in ballots. Question though... I want to take ours to the post office and have them priority mailed just for safe measure but can I do that by myself for the both of us? It's just the mailing part. We're both obviously going to be present to get our ballots notarized. I just don't want to avoid going to the post office and being told I can't mail my wife's ballot.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

So this is our first election that we're doing mail in ballots. Question though... I want to take ours to the post office and have them priority mailed just for safe measure but can I do that by myself for the both of us? It's just the mailing part. We're both obviously going to be present to get our ballots notarized. I just don't want to avoid going to the post office and being told I can't mail my wife's ballot.

if you were mailing it from your mailbox, only one of you would walk it out there...I'm no expert, but seems like it's OK for you to mail both...

Be sure to hint to the lady at the post office that your "wife" is really someone here illegally and you plan on doing this multiple times before election day. Tell her it's easier this way than pretending to be a dead relative.

Back