2024 Presidential Election

I'll preface this by saying I absolutely can't stand Musk, and I think he's a danger to our society:

Isn't what he is doing in Penn. clearly breaking a LOT of campaign and election laws? He's literally paying people to vote a certain way.

I'll preface this by saying I absolutely can't stand Musk, and I think he's a danger to our society:

Isn't what he is doing in Penn. clearly breaking a LOT of campaign and election laws? He's literally paying people to vote a certain way.
I haven't read a lot about it but is he paying people to vote or paying them to sign a petition? Either way it is disgusting.

I haven't read a lot about it but is he paying people to vote or paying them to sign a petition? Either way it is disgusting.
From what I can tell, you can't pay to register to vote either and one restriction on his petition and rallies is to be registered... so it falls into the paying them to register side of things.

"Musk’s latest ploy to assist Trump to attain more political power, has been to give away $1m every day to a member of the public, provided they also live in a swing state and are registered to vote.

The stunt is prohibited and akin to buying votes, in the view of some experts, as it violates federal election law preventing payments for registering to vote."

From what I can tell, you can't pay to register to vote either and one restriction on his petition and rallies is to be registered... so it falls into the paying them to register side of things.

"Musk’s latest ploy to assist Trump to attain more political power, has been to give away $1m every day to a member of the public, provided they also live in a swing state and are registered to vote.

The stunt is prohibited and akin to buying votes, in the view of some experts, as it violates federal election law preventing payments for registering to vote."

I can’t imagine MAGA’s reaction if Zuckerberg as doing this for Kamala.

I can’t imagine MAGA’s reaction if Zuckerberg as doing this for Kamala.
Yeah, or if he was as vocal about her and the Dem viewpoint as Musk has been on Twitter.

They complain that Instagram and Facebook prevent MAGA posts but Musk has done so much to amplify and contribute to MAGA talking points and prevent the counter to it.

Not presidential election, but Democrats are attempting a write-in campaign for a US House Seat in GA due to the Primary winner now coming out as being to the right of the Republican in the race. "Hes not conservative enough". Not sure what happened in the primaries on this one, but wouldn't be the first time a congressman got elected and then changed parties. Also, the Republican incumbent is expected to win anyway.

Being in one of the listed swing states, I was just chatting with my friends here, and if we did it correctly, we could make a few hundred dollars (though I would have to sign this idiotic petition). Maybe buy ourselves a nice bottle of whiskey to hopefully toast Trump's defeat in November (or to get drunk enough to forget the evening). Either way, win/win?

If Musk is charged with a crime, he could just bribe LE with a million dollars or more to get them to not bother him.

1. That website looks like it was made by me in middle school, 30 years ago.
  2. A petition for what?? To support things already guaranteed by the constitution, and will not be repealed?
  3. What's the real end game for this? I assume they just blast you with MAGA bs until you're pounded into submission and vote for fascism?
  4. The party that constantly rails against "the elites" sure has fallen in love with the most elite of the elite.
  5. Wouldn't it be grand if Musk used his vast wealth for something actually beneficial to humanity? This guy has gone from pretend visionary to complete joke in a few years. History will not look kindly on this d-bag

2. A petition for what?? To support things already guaranteed by the constitution, and will not be repealed?
  3. What's the real end game for this? I assume they just blast you with MAGA bs until you're pounded into submission and vote for fascism?
  4. The party that constantly rails against "the elites" sure has fallen in love with the most elite of the elite.
  5. Wouldn't it be grand if Musk used his vast wealth for something actually beneficial to humanity? This guy has gone from pretend visionary to complete joke in a few years. History will not look kindly on this d-bag
You are right about everything but 5.

Paypal.....45% of online commerce market share and was higher
Tesla....second largest EV company in the world bigger than all other American ones combined. As well as residential solar/battery.
SpaceX...gets our folks out of a jam and just caught a large rocket for re-use. Doing more cheaper than anyone else in the space sector.
Starlink...opened the internet to pretty much anywhere in the world affordably good and bad

He is as much of a visionary as exists today. Pick any one of those and it's puts him higher on the list than 99.99% of all people in the visionary category. I don't disagree a lot of what he does puts him in the d-bag category but it doesn't change what has been done. The OG Tesla was crazy too....but you can thank him for the power grid. All that changed was his politics so he went from genius to idiot in an election cycle.

No. 3 is probably the goal here. Someone who doesn't pay that much attention thinks they sign some random petition and have a shot to win a million. What's the harm there?

Then they get a bunch of emails asking for donations or telling them how the democrats are a threat to democracy. The catch is stuff like that tends to annoy people, so I don't know how big of an impact it will have. But I guess it it can sway a couple thousand in the right state it might be worth it.

Tesla....second largest EV company in the world bigger than all other American ones combined. As well as residential solar/battery.
SpaceX...gets our folks out of a jam and just caught a large rocket for re-use. Doing more cheaper than anyone else in the space sector.
Starlink...opened the internet to pretty much anywhere in the world affordably good and bad

He is as much of a visionary as exists today. Pick any one of those and it's puts him higher on the list than 99.99% of all people in the visionary category. I don't disagree a lot of what he does puts him in the d-bag category but it doesn't change what has been done. The OG Tesla was crazy too....but you can thank him for the power grid. All that changed was his politics so he went from genius to idiot in an election cycle.
Yep. Lots of people of one particular ideology dislike/hate him now, but stating he hasn’t done anything beneficial to humanity is laughable and not credible.

I have a friend at NASA who was attended the amazing rocket booster catch two weeks ago. Those at NASA have done a 180 (in the other way) with him. First they dislike/hated the thought of privatization of space exploration…now they love him because it opening up so much more for NASA.
Certainly fair to hate his politics and he is so open with it he deserves the wrath…but the man is quite the visionary and is putting significant investments that makes the world better (or has the potential).

Didn't he buy Tesla and Space-X? Not sure if he started Starlink or not.

He hasn’t started crap. He’s either been lucky to be around someone that knew what they were doing or bullied his way to being CEO.

Just reading about him it's a mixed bag.

He luckboxed the internet boom early in his career but to his credit he didn't take the money and run. Tesla wasn't his creation but it looks like spacex was. History is probably going to remember that favorably.

Im not sure what his endgame with Trump is. Just a guess but it's a combination of seeing him as a useful idiot and someone important in California hurt his ego and he sees the whole thing as a banana measuring contest.

Back