2024 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what most discount or fail to understand is that the secondary plays better when you can get pressure on the QB. The other teams QB has pressure than he can’t complete a 50 yard pass because he is worried about Collin Oliver leveling him.

3-3-5 will never work in the big 12 because the ball is coming out too quickly in the passing game. The Knowles defense was the best model and why we decided to move away from it is confusing.

That said, this is not a knock on Nardo. I think he can be a good coordinator but he is going to need to adjust to a more 4 man front.

Our defense is significantly better with Oliver at DE. You can play him some at LB fine but we need to get pressure and it won’t happen with 3 lineman.

I believe we can become a lot better in a short amount of time the quicker we realize that a 4 man front is the answer. Do what works!

You do realize we bring several LBs every snap don’t you? Kirkland will take a double team then the scheme play begins. You use LB speed and versatility to double shoot gaps, twist, stunt etc to create havoc. No one outside the SEC has elite NFL DL. They are hard to find. So you use speed now to offset that. Not many teams run power any more. It’s all pulls and combo blocking so the defenses have to react to their schemes. We don’t sit in a 3-3 every snap. It’s a base with 1000s of blitzes, schemes, etc coming off that base. Trust me the defense will be fine. Bowman is not our best QB but gundys loyalty is his biggest fault. We will go as far as bowman takes us which sucks because he is good not great

You do realize we bring several LBs every snap don’t you? Kirkland will take a double team then the scheme play begins. You use LB speed and versatility to double shoot gaps, twist, stunt etc to create havoc. No one outside the SEC has elite NFL DL. They are hard to find. So you use speed now to offset that. Not many teams run power any more. It’s all pulls and combo blocking so the defenses have to react to their schemes. We don’t sit in a 3-3 every snap. It’s a base with 1000s of blitzes, schemes, etc coming off that base. Trust me the defense will be fine. Bowman is not our best QB but gundys loyalty is his biggest fault. We will go as far as bowman takes us which sucks because he is good not great
An interesting quote from an opposing Big XII coach in the Athlons pre season football annual (unarmed) “The offense is fine; it really comes down to how much better he (Bowman) can get to keep them in the conference title race. (On the defense) “They were easy to get off their reads and fits last season, they really struggled with tempo. If they can improve, and the consistency in the coaching (Nardo going into his second year as DC) helps that then OSU should be a conference title contender.”🤔

I think what most discount or fail to understand is that the secondary plays better when you can get pressure on the QB. The other teams QB has pressure than he can’t complete a 50 yard pass because he is worried about Collin Oliver leveling him.

3-3-5 will never work in the big 12 because the ball is coming out too quickly in the passing game. The Knowles defense was the best model and why we decided to move away from it is confusing.

That said, this is not a knock on Nardo. I think he can be a good coordinator but he is going to need to adjust to a more 4 man front.

Our defense is significantly better with Oliver at DE. You can play him some at LB fine but we need to get pressure and it won’t happen with 3 lineman.

I believe we can become a lot better in a short amount of time the quicker we realize that a 4 man front is the answer. Do what works!

I don't think that anyone disagrees with the notion that pressure on the QB helps the secondary. That's one of the basic tenets of defense.

I'm not a fan of the 3-3-5, but I do concede that TCU got to the national championship running it. They just couldn't match up with UGA's OL and TEs.

Not arguing, but explain Iowa State then. They use almost exclusively 3 man fronts in said 3-3-5 and have been an extremely good defense for years, in the same quick passing league.

Not arguing, but explain Iowa State then. They use almost exclusively 3 man fronts in said 3-3-5 and have been an extremely good defense for years, in the same quick passing league.

I can’t explain every defense but I can tell you Iowa State has NEVER sniffed a big 12 football title.

Not saying statistically that they don’t have good defenses from time to time. I think TCU probably is the biggest example of showing the 3-3-5 can work.

However, I think it requires too much experience in the secondary and if you play a team with a good oline then you are cooked.
TCU had a good offense the year they made the title game but they were exposed by the Georgia tight end and the smash mouth football.

It could work to run a hybrid of 3-3-5 and 4 man front. We just have to be honest and understand the strengths and weaknesses of the team we play. Obviously, Georgia is different than playing Iowa state. But we need to analyze game film to figure out which defense caused each team the most problems

I can’t explain every defense but I can tell you Iowa State has NEVER sniffed a big 12 football title.

Not saying statistically that they don’t have good defenses from time to time. I think TCU probably is the biggest example of showing the 3-3-5 can work.

However, I think it requires too much experience in the secondary and if you play a team with a good oline then you are cooked.
TCU had a good offense the year they made the title game but they were exposed by the Georgia tight end and the smash mouth football.

It could work to run a hybrid of 3-3-5 and 4 man front. We just have to be honest and understand the strengths and weaknesses of the team we play. Obviously, Georgia is different than playing Iowa state. But we need to analyze game film to figure out which defense caused each team the most problems
I struggle with how we looked at times last year (not every game obviously but a few for sure) compared to how ISU or TCU have looked under the same system. We'd get gashed up front, then embarrassed on the back end. Were we out of position? Didn't have the players up front to help the defensive backfield? No depth? Didn't have the schemes or blitz packages to assist in anyway? They just hadn't learned it yet?

Then there were times they'd make plays and it was like "where has this been?"

I am hopeful we see something completely different in year 2. I am excited about the possibilities but they've got to prove it. Just like the o line I think.

FTR - 2020 ISU lost championship to the great satan 27-21, in what was a fantastic football game. That qualifies as "sniffing" in my book but I understand the point.:)

I struggle with how we looked at times last year (not every game obviously but a few for sure) compared to how ISU or TCU have looked under the same system. We'd get gashed up front, then embarrassed on the back end. Were we out of position? Didn't have the players up front to help the defensive backfield? No depth? Didn't have the schemes or blitz packages to assist in anyway? They just hadn't learned it yet?

I am hopeful we see something completely different in year 2. I am excited about the possibilities but they've got to prove it. Just like the o line I think.

FTR - 2020 ISU lost championship to the great satan 27-21, in what was a fantastic football game. That qualifies as "sniffing" in my book but I understand the point.:)
It was troubling to me that the D didn't really seem to improve over the course of the season. Still had guys out of position and getting gashed on the back end. Hopefully it can be chalked up to the first year in a new system.

I agree ISU in 2020 was close but I’m noticing a trend with 3-3-5 success which is that each team has a very good offense to go with it. I mean Brock Purdy with ISU and max Duggan with TCU.

I think if they didn’t have a good offense to complement and take the pressure off the defense then it would not have been a successful season.

You look at our offense with Spencer sanders and it seemed that Knowles defense once they were mature kept us in games regardless of sanders turnover/ints.

I feel like we have a good experienced team with a QB that is at the level of Brock Purdy and a good 4 man front that we have a national championship caliber team.

For some reason, I don’t know if the 3–3-5 would get the same results. Of course, I don’t know how an experienced defense works with it for us

I agree ISU in 2020 was close but I’m noticing a trend with 3-3-5 success which is that each team has a very good offense to go with it. I mean Brock Purdy with ISU and max Duggan with TCU.

I think if they didn’t have a good offense to complement and take the pressure off the defense then it would not have been a successful season.

You look at our offense with Spencer sanders and it seemed that Knowles defense once they were mature kept us in games regardless of sanders turnover/ints.

I feel like we have a good experienced team with a QB that is at the level of Brock Purdy and a good 4 man front that we have a national championship caliber team.

For some reason, I don’t know if the 3–3-5 would get the same results. Of course, I don’t know how an experienced defense works with it for us
And our qb makes more than Mr Irrelevant

3-3-5 puts more pressure on the play caller to be effective. We don't know yet if Nardo has the capability to make a positive difference in that regard, but that's the gig if you're coaching that scheme. Its also less effective against a team that can push you around for 4+ ypc running simple, quick runs into the LOS, but that'll mainly impact us if we get outside the Big 12.

That said, the 3-3-5 is a valid strategy if you wanna reduce the pressure on recruiting more imposing DL. Oddly enough, we've seemed to do ok getting those guys on campus over the years, but maybe the worry is that we can't get them at a high enough rate to maintain depth OR it just eats a lot of recruiting resources to land each one.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see if Nardo has grown as a play caller in his second season.

Why have there been zero interviews, workout videos, new coach interviews, nothing. We have a top 10 team based on experience with tons of potential. Wish our marketing would blow it up. Helps with recruiting, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back