Wrestling Recruiting

Yeah he's a stud. I'd like to see him kicking it in Orange & Black
Fanning The Daily Show GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

Which ever of OSU, Mizz, Michigan, or Iowa (naming schools that make most sense) get Wyatt Hendrickson, they becomes the favorite to finish second behind Penn State in next year's NCAA's. Okie State finished 10th with around 56 points. Cornell finished 2nd with 73 points. Hendrickson could score something like 20 points at NCAAs, as he is likely to finish high and will score alot of bonus points while he does it.
I am a homeboy, but I see Plott, Hamiti, and Carroll as sure things to AA. Spratley, Hughes, WIlliams, and Fish all have very good chance to AA. Add Hendrickson to the roster and you may seperate from rest of field for 2nd place.

If his goal is to get better, Okei State is clear winner. In wrestling room you have Doucet, Merrill, Simpson, and Carroll (with Carroll at 197). No other room will give you same level of competition (other than maybe Penn State).
But Michigan has gotten more transfers than anyone else, so one has to think if NIL money is involved other schools have edge (both Michigan and Iowa).
Other posters on X say OSU is not in running. I have no clue.
Also interesting is Hendrickson in portal has crowded out guy from Rutgers who is also in portal. He finished 7th and beat Iowa State guy in blood round, so a solid addition to any team. Another guy who would get much better with year in OSU's wrestling room, as before Rutgers I think he was at Harvard (but I doubt he is looking at OSU or OSU is looking at him).

If his goal is to get better, Okei State is clear winner. In wrestling room you have Doucet, Merrill, Simpson, and Carroll (with Carroll at 197). No other room will give you same level of competition (other than maybe Penn State).
But Michigan has gotten more transfers than anyone else, so one has to think if NIL money is involved other schools have edge (both Michigan and Iowa).
Other posters on X say OSU is not in running. I have no clue.
Also interesting is Hendrickson in portal has crowded out guy from Rutgers who is also in portal. He finished 7th and beat Iowa State guy in blood round, so a solid addition to any team. Another guy who would get much better with year in OSU's wrestling room, as before Rutgers I think he was at Harvard (but I doubt he is looking at OSU or OSU is looking at him).

Whoever is saying OSU isn't in the running doesn't know what they are talking about.

I think the favorite is Mizzou, as they have Dom Bradley on staff, but OSU is absolutely in the running.

Rutgers guy going back to Rutgers.

Lee, assuming we don't get Wyatt H, who do you think starter is at 285? I think Merrill wins ranking match with Doucet but think they are going to redsirt Merrill no matter what.

Also, how do you see Carroll at 197 and Hughes at 133 doing in 2024-2025? Will be interesting to see Carroll at 197. Will be short, but so much stonger than most other 197 guys. He has mainly been freestyle guy, so will be interesting to see haw he adapts. I could see him win it all. But I am a homer.

Hughes we will see be got to be in top 6 IMO.

Rutgers guy going back to Rutgers.

Lee, assuming we don't get Wyatt H, who do you think starter is at 285? I think Merrill wins ranking match with Doucet but think they are going to redsirt Merrill no matter what.

Also, how do you see Carroll at 197 and Hughes at 133 doing in 2024-2025? Will be interesting to see Carroll at 197. Will be short, but so much stonger than most other 197 guys. He has mainly been freestyle guy, so will be interesting to see haw he adapts. I could see him win it all. But I am a homer.

Hughes we will see be got to be in top 6 IMO.

1) I think it's between OSU and Mizzou for Hendrickson. Wouldn't count us out by any means, but Mizzou is going to make a compelling pitch.

2) I think Doucet is going to be the guy at 285, if no Hendrickson. Funny thing about KD is he is really athletic and really smart. In the room, he's great. He beat Carroll fair and square in ranking matches. I think it would be more of the same for Merrill. Doucet has crafty quickness and is really good on top, so he really makes young guys pay for their mistakes. If he could just turn this on on the mat when it matters, he would be a podium contender.

3) We just watched Christian Carroll outhorse Ryan Warner and Tony Cassioppi... grown ass men. One a 5x AA at 197, one that was a 3x AA at heavyweight. Those guys are legit good wrestlers and very strong... and Carroll beat them with his brute strength. If Carroll is ok on bottom and on the mat, I think he will be a force even in a stacked 197.

4) Hughes is going to be solid and 133 is wide open. I think he's every bit as good as Frost from Iowa State or Ragusin from Michigan.

If this is your lineup....

125 - Spratley (Top 6. Beat the champ. Right there with the runner up. All around solid.)
133 - Hughes (I think he's an AA guy.)
141 - Jamison / Young (I like both guys here. Both have it. May the best man win.)
149 - Williams (has about the highest ceiling on the team from a talent perspective. If he can keep his head straight and keep his focus he will go as far as he wants to at this weight.)
157 - Travis (probably a round of 16 guy. Get 4-5 points at NCAAs and we'll call it great.)
165 - Fish (has pretty much been an R12 guy. Will being in a good room help him jump a level? Possible.)
174 - Hamiti (top 3 guy. No question. Good in all positions. Get him at the right weight and he could be great.)
184 - Plott (finalists. There's Keckisen -> Plott -> Everybody else and Plott proved that all season.)
197 - Carroll (I think he will AA like Hughes. 197 is pretty stacked though.)
285 - Doucet (as mentioned I think he could make the podium but if he makes R12 and gets 4 points that's fine.)

I think worst case you're looking at 5 AAs for OSU with two finalists. That should get OSU into 2nd place.

I am pretty close to where you are.

When I watched replays of Hughes and Carroll at freestyle events, I have more confidence in Hughes being AA this year. He won US open and most (all) of points he scored (on matches I watched) were basic leg takedowns. Transitions to folkstyle with no problem. Carroll on other hand got a lot of points on chest wrap tilts that do not count in folkstyle. I think he has talent, but an adjustment will be required.

I might be a bit higher on Travis and Fish than you. Travis was 149 pounder who moved to 157 because Williams was going to be 149 guy. Went to 157 after CK. He was clearly small for 157, and many of matches he lost he was overpowered. Give him year to bulk up and he should be better. Likewise Fish beat Amie from Michigan and lost on OT to Nebraska guy that placed. With graduations and guys moving up, 165 doesn't looked stacked as it has past years. Given a weaker weight class, and a year at OSU where he should improve, and I think he is likely an AA.

And while I think we have good team next year, we have a lot of guys on bubble. They could place 5th or lose in blood round. So maybe less sure we get 5 AAs.

I agree assuming they d not get WH, Doucet is guy. I think given Thompson's season, they are going to want to redshirt Merrill no matter if he can beat Doucet (which is unclear).

Back