Wrestling Recruiting

Ok, let's look at lineup.

125 Spratley
133 Hughes (assuming he can make 133, which is likely)
141 Jamison or Young. Jamison started strong, but faded at end. Young was higher rated recruit, but didn't do that well his 2 years at 141. One could argue Young had to go up a weight class (because of Fix) and was overpowered at 141. Now, after 2 years in lineup and redshirt, he is not an undersized 141 pounder and will not be overpowered.
149 Williams
157 Travis (though could Fish go down as looked like a small 165 pounder)
165 Hamiti if he stays at 165, Fish if Hamiti goes to 174.
174 Hamiti if he goes to 174. If Hamiti stays at 165, either Heeg if Thompson redshirts or Thompson.
184 Plott
197 Carroll
285 Doucet or Merrill. My guess is if Merrill is much better than Doucet, he starts. Otherwise, Merrill redshirts and Doucet.

My take is this should be a little better team than last years team. To move up to top 5, some of the guys that are solid wrestlers that they have on squad need to be AAs. Now most of those guys were freshman (or first year starters with Travis), so there is reason to believe they improve a bit which is enough to get to AA status.

If you look at who placed at 174, and assuming Starocci from PSU doesn't come back (as reported), then 174 looks pretty open. Don't see anyone who clearly beats Hamiti. But can he deal with bigger and stronger guys?

At 165 you have O'Toole from Mizzu and Messenbrink (or Haines if they switch weights) from PSU. I don't think Hamiti can beat O'Toole and at best 50/50 that he beats Messenbrink (or Haines).

But it makes sense Hamiti wants to go up. One assumes he knows Fish and they talk. Why would Fish transfer to OSU if his spot is being filled by Hamiti, who he knows is better. Transfer to sit on bench? Likely he talked to Hamiti and got word he plans on moving to 174.

If you look at OSU's team, Plott, Carroll and Hamiti look to be solid AA, maybe in finals (bit early for Carroll, but he looks very good in freestyle stuff). If Merrill starts (which means he is much better than Doucet), maybe you add him to list. Rest of team looks solid, but unless they improve they are all bottom tier AA, or if unlucky in draws, get eliminated after a couple of wins in NCAA. Now one can make argument each one should improve, but we will see.

Ok, let's look at lineup.

125 Spratley
133 Hughes (assuming he can make 133, which is likely)
141 Jamison or Young. Jamison started strong, but faded at end. Young was higher rated recruit, but didn't do that well his 2 years at 141. One could argue Young had to go up a weight class (because of Fix) and was overpowered at 141. Now, after 2 years in lineup and redshirt, he is not an undersized 141 pounder and will not be overpowered.
149 Williams
157 Travis (though could Fish go down as looked like a small 165 pounder)
165 Hamiti if he stays at 165, Fish if Hamiti goes to 174.
174 Hamiti if he goes to 174. If Hamiti stays at 165, either Heeg if Thompson redshirts or Thompson.
184 Plott
197 Carroll
285 Doucet or Merrill. My guess is if Merrill is much better than Doucet, he starts. Otherwise, Merrill redshirts and Doucet.

My take is this should be a little better team than last years team. To move up to top 5, some of the guys that are solid wrestlers that they have on squad need to be AAs. Now most of those guys were freshman (or first year starters with Travis), so there is reason to believe they improve a bit which is enough to get to AA status.
If you had to guess, who do you guys think is someone that might surprise us next year either as AA or higher on NCAA podium?

Depends on what you mean by surprise us.

We should excludes Plott, Hamiti, and Carroll as I think a lot is expected of those three (I think Carroll should be expected to AA). And also we should exclude Merrill. If he doesn't redshirt, I think he will also be expected to be an AA.

I think of the rest of the lineup, Williams is most likely to AA. Came on late in year, clearly has "special" talent, and was injured at Big 12 so likely not 100% at NCAA. Also lost to guy at NCAA that finished 8th in OT. But Williams was top recruit and one might expect him to become an AA.

You could argue Travis would be the most surprising. Started out at 149 and moved to 157. Was small for weight class and in most of his losses he was overpowered. Give him year to work out in weight room and gain some weight (and strength) and he could be much better.

Enough guys had big wins last year that it might not be a big surprise to make a run at top 8 at nationals. I'll give an out of the box answer - Surber at heavyweight. We've seen him have some success. It looks like Carroll will be 197. Why not?

Other than Penn State, we are not that far behind anyone else. There are something like 10 teams with shot for #2, and we are one of them.
Surber was better than Doucet at 285 in 2021-2022. But I would put my money on Doucet against Surber now. Doucet has gotten much better the last couple of years. And Doucet is a natural 285 while Surber is a 197 who wrestled 285 to fill a void in lineup.
Doucet had better NCAA this year than Surber did in 2022 when he went at 285.
I also think it is 50/50 Merrill goes at 285 next year and does not redshirt.

If you look at who placed at 174, and assuming Starocci from PSU doesn't come back (as reported), then 174 looks pretty open. Don't see anyone who clearly beats Hamiti. But can he deal with bigger and stronger guys?

At 165 you have O'Toole from Mizzu and Messenbrink (or Haines if they switch weights) from PSU. I don't think Hamiti can beat O'Toole and at best 50/50 that he beats Messenbrink (or Haines).

But it makes sense Hamiti wants to go up. One assumes he knows Fish and they talk. Why would Fish transfer to OSU if his spot is being filled by Hamiti, who he knows is better. Transfer to sit on bench? Likely he talked to Hamiti and got word he plans on moving to 174.

If you look at OSU's team, Plott, Carroll and Hamiti look to be solid AA, maybe in finals (bit early for Carroll, but he looks very good in freestyle stuff). If Merrill starts (which means he is much better than Doucet), maybe you add him to list. Rest of team looks solid, but unless they improve they are all bottom tier AA, or if unlucky in draws, get eliminated after a couple of wins in NCAA. Now one can make argument each one should improve, but we will see.

O'Toole is reportedly going up to 174 as well.

Depends on what you mean by surprise us.

We should excludes Plott, Hamiti, and Carroll as I think a lot is expected of those three (I think Carroll should be expected to AA). And also we should exclude Merrill. If he doesn't redshirt, I think he will also be expected to be an AA.

I think of the rest of the lineup, Williams is most likely to AA. Came on late in year, clearly has "special" talent, and was injured at Big 12 so likely not 100% at NCAA. Also lost to guy at NCAA that finished 8th in OT. But Williams was top recruit and one might expect him to become an AA.

You could argue Travis would be the most surprising. Started out at 149 and moved to 157. Was small for weight class and in most of his losses he was overpowered. Give him year to work out in weight room and gain some weight (and strength) and he could be much better.

Spratley, Jamison, and Williams will only get better. Fish getting into a real program could make a jump as well. Michigan State is terrible.

Enough guys had big wins last year that it might not be a big surprise to make a run at top 8 at nationals. I'll give an out of the box answer - Surber at heavyweight. We've seen him have some success. It looks like Carroll will be 197. Why not?
He definitely has the motor and we know he will try and score points which has been especially critical for Heavyweights in recent years.

Spratley is a finalist contender. He beat the national champ last season. Right there with everybody in the weight class.
This was my pick as well if I had to give an answer. He seemed to improve throughout the year and I don’t think we have seen his best yet.

Back