Wrestling Recruiting

I think he is 2nd best 165 pounder (assuming Carr is done). Guy from Mizz is 1st, this guy is 2nd best. Look at Big 10 matchup between him and Peen State guy that finished 2nd. at NCAAs. He lost on bad move late, but I think he is better wrestler and give him year in OSU's room.

It is early, but will be interesting to see next year's lineup. This fills 165 spot. At 174, does Heeg or Robb replace Thompson at 174, giving Thompson a chance to redshirt. Robb looked like he could be good at limited time at 197, and he was clearly much too small for 197. Plott is guy at 184. At 197 does Merrill redshirt or start? Got to assume Carroll starts at 285. With the lighter weights, 125 set with Spratley, 133 with Hughes (assuming he can make 133). 141, Jamison returns, or maybe Young. 149 Williams, or does he go up to 157 (was tall for 149 and might be a better 157 pounder bulked up a bit). Travis either bulks up a bit more and stays at 157 (was small for 157) or goes down to 149 if Williams moves up.

Next years team should be better, maybe even top 5, but not close to Penn State.

Interesting. Carroll is a bit short for 285, but built like a brickhouse. If he can make 197 he will be a beast.

I think Hamitti is at 165. He beat Iowa guy and really should have beat PSU guy (that finished 2nd) at Big 10. Not sure why you think he goes up a weight class.

I think year in OSU wrestling room and he is solid AA. So 125, 184, 165, 149, and 133 are set. That assumes Hughes makes 133 and Williams makes 149. If Hughes has to go to 141, he still starts, but the rest of lineup changes. Likkewise if WIlliams has to go to 157.

To me the weights to watch are 285, 197, 174, 141, and 157.

197/285, Carroll takes one of those slots. Does Merrill take the other or does he redshirt?

What happens at 174 (and I don't think it will be Hamitti) is interesting. At times, Thompson was pretty good. At times not very good. Was a top 10 guy coming out of high school. Does OSU assume he gets his act together and put him on mat as 174 starter next year? Or can Robb make 174. Robb looked very good in some matches at 197. Or go with Heeg, who was a to 20 guy coming out of high school.

141, Jamison started strong and faded. Carter Young is coming off redshirt. Does he beat out Jamison? And Alvarez is still around. One could argue the Jamison fade just part of being a freshman, and comes back next year strong.

149 is Williams if he can keep his weight under control. But he may be a better 157 with a little bulk. But he starts, likely at 149. If he goes up to 157, then you have question between Travis and Young at 149.

157 is likely Travis. Was too small so give him a year to bulk up and he could be much better. Was clearly overpowered by better 157 pounders last year. He was surprise of last year, maybe he can be surprise of next year also.

I think Hamitti is at 165. He beat Iowa guy and really should have beat PSU guy (that finished 2nd) at Big 10. Not sure why you think he goes up a weight class.

I think year in OSU wrestling room and he is solid AA. So 125, 184, 165, 149, and 133 are set. That assumes Hughes makes 133 and Williams makes 149. If Hughes has to go to 141, he still starts, but the rest of lineup changes. Likkewise if WIlliams has to go to 157.

To me the weights to watch are 285, 197, 174, 141, and 157.

197/285, Carroll takes one of those slots. Does Merrill take the other or does he redshirt?

What happens at 174 (and I don't think it will be Hamitti) is interesting. At times, Thompson was pretty good. At times not very good. Was a top 10 guy coming out of high school. Does OSU assume he gets his act together and put him on mat as 174 starter next year? Or can Robb make 174. Robb looked very good in some matches at 197. Or go with Heeg, who was a to 20 guy coming out of high school.

141, Jamison started strong and faded. Carter Young is coming off redshirt. Does he beat out Jamison? And Alvarez is still around. One could argue the Jamison fade just part of being a freshman, and comes back next year strong.

149 is Williams if he can keep his weight under control. But he may be a better 157 with a little bulk. But he starts, likely at 149. If he goes up to 157, then you have question between Travis and Young at 149.

157 is likely Travis. Was too small so give him a year to bulk up and he could be much better. Was clearly overpowered by better 157 pounders last year. He was surprise of last year, maybe he can be surprise of next year also.

Sammy Alvarez graduated and grad transferred I believe.

To me big story is can Christian Carroll get to 197. If he can, he is a beast.

Next, does Merrill redshirt. Assuming Carroll is at 197 and he is 285, I think if he can be Doucet he starts.

Then, how good is Hughes and can he make 133.

If those 3 weights turn out positive, and we get some improvement from existing guys at 125, 141, 149, 157, and 174, OSU will be pretty good.

And I would not be surprised to see new starters at 141 and/or 174.

Christian Carroll registered to wrestle at 97KG at the last chance Olympic trails in Virginia this Saturday and Sunday. Safe to say he’ll be at 197 next season

I saw that also, and agree. If he can make 213 (97 kg) after redshirt season, he can make 197.

I just hope Cael Hughes can make 133. We have 5 very good guys, and they all look to be 141/149. Williams, Travis, Hughes, Jamison, and Young. If Hughes can make 133 that helps a lot. Maybe with a year in weight room Travis can be a full sized at 157. That leaves Young and Jamison to fight it out at 141.

So likely 3 new starters, at 133, 165, and 197, and maybe as many as 6 (285, 174, and 141).

Not really sure where he fits. Does he move down to 157 and try to beat out Travis. Does Hamitti go up to 174?

Not sure why Hamitti would want to go up to 174 or OSU would want him to. He is a 5th year senior and had Penn State guy that finished second beat until he got caught in bad move and put on his back in 3rd period. I think OSU coaching for a year and he is top 3 at 165. At 174, not sure. Though moving up didn't hurt Griffin.

Fish is a fine wrestler, but unless he improves a lot being in OSU wrestling room, don't see he does much for team. My guess is he is smart guy and a good student and got academic scholarship to OSU. He figured he would give it a shot being in top tier wrestling room and see what happened. OSU figured it was costing program nothing to get him and worst case (and most likely case) he helps starters by being solid competition in room. Best case, he improves, someone moves up or down a weight class, or someone gets injured, and he starts.

Not really sure where he fits. Does he move down to 157 and try to beat out Travis. Does Hamitti go up to 174?

Not sure why Hamitti would want to go up to 174 or OSU would want him to. He is a 5th year senior and had Penn State guy that finished second beat until he got caught in bad move and put on his back in 3rd period. I think OSU coaching for a year and he is top 3 at 165. At 174, not sure. Though moving up didn't hurt Griffin.

Fish is a fine wrestler, but unless he improves a lot being in OSU wrestling room, don't see he does much for team. My guess is he is smart guy and a good student and got academic scholarship to OSU. He figured he would give it a shot being in top tier wrestling room and see what happened. OSU figured it was costing program nothing to get him and worst case (and most likely case) he helps starters by being solid competition in room. Best case, he improves, someone moves up or down a weight class, or someone gets injured, and he starts.

I think DH wants a chance at 174. Would also give BT a year to refocus and mature with a redshirt. If nothing else, will make the room a little better with new competition

I agree BT needs redshirt year. I just think DH is better at 165. I would just put Heeg in at 174 as he was highly ranked as recruit (assuming Robb can't make 174 and Heeg is better than other guys in room).

Looks like Carroll at 197. Plott at 184. Do they redshit Merrill? No matter how it plays out, top half of linup looks pretty strong.

Back