Who Should OSU Hire as Next Basketball Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If money is designated for a buyout then that is how the University has to spend it. And Traber doesn’t know crap.
True, but the problem is finding (and being confident of) donors that wouldn't have donated the money anyway AND never would have donated it moving forward. Regardless of how money is earmarked donors are a finite general resource that you can't tap endlessly. That is why building projects have slowed down so much. NIL is sucking up that money.

I'm not one of the people pushing for Doug. I think we would be more likely to have success with an experienced coach. However, I also don't think we could do much worse under Doug. I simply put it forth as a possible way to get out from under this horrible financial situation. You take a chance, but have an easy out if it doesn't work out. By that time you are in a better financial situation.

Let me put it this way. Given only these two options, would the people here rather take a chance with Doug or let the program wither under Boynton for 2-3 more years? I believe waiting another only takes the buyout from $6.7 million to $5 million. If they won't do it this year there is not a lot of motivation to do it next year.

I'm not one of the people pushing for Doug. I think we would be more likely to have success with an experienced coach. However, I also don't think we could do much worse under Doug. I simply put it forth as a possible way to get out from under this horrible financial situation. You take a chance, but have an easy out if it doesn't work out. By that time you are in a better financial situation.

Let me put it this way. Given only these two options, would the people here rather take a chance with Doug or let the program wither under Boynton for 2-3 more years? I believe waiting another only takes the buyout from $6.7 million to $5 million. If they won't do it this year there is not a lot of motivation to do it next year.
Between those two option the answer is easy. Keep Boynton over hiring Doug and it isn't even close.

If we have to go the cheap route then I prefer Scott Sutton. He has experience, has won games as a head coach, and should be pissed with the state of the program since his father’s name is on the court.

The best way out of the financial bind is to make basketball profitable again. You do that with a proven coach.

Wait till tournament play, see what teams do in the tournament then hire off of that. Getting to the tournament is big as is but actually performing/prepping and winning in the tournament is how I would look

Wait till tournament play, see what teams do in the tournament then hire off of that. Getting to the tournament is big as is but actually performing/prepping and winning in the tournament is how I would look
That’s how the goons wound up with their excuse machine that is not much better than Boyton

Why do that? Why not look at a coach’s ability to get teams to the tournament multiple times in the last few years. Don’t use just one sample point.

I wouldn't hire a coach that only gets to the dance but doesn't produce. Either way coaching hires don't happen after tournament play anyway.

Imma just leave this here...
He got to it later in the video, it's the coaches these kids have at the youth level way more than the schedule. We played a ton of games but any pool play was just treated like a practice. Both baseball and basketball. We'd practice twice during the week, use pool games as more practice and then when the games mattered, that's when we "played." I loved it. Used same set up for all my teams I coached.

You know who had a hard time wrapping their brains around it? The parents.

Imma just leave this here...
I 100% agree w this and will take it a step further. Kids are desensitized to losing. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying be a sore loser or throw a temper tantrum or take a win at all costs. But these kids play so many games that unless your on the elite of the elite and play nationally you lose multiple games a month and it’s no big deal.

There’s no post game analysis to see why you are losing. Is it shot selection or offensive movement? Are we not communicating on defense? What’s causing our turnovers? Plus if kids don’t like their “role” on a team they move on (which he hit on in the video).

Losing and how you lose matters but what matters more is what you do as a team and a staff to win the next one. That doesn’t happen when you play 5-10 games a weekend 3-4 weeks per month.

In the sports business, things are very simple and don't need all that psychoanalysis:

If a coach wins at a P5 level: good.

If a coach can't coach his way out of a phone booth at the P5 level: bad.

It really is that simple. They all coach the same kinds of kids.

Looking at our next potential hire, there should only be one requirement: Have they consistently been a winner of their conference?

Henry Iba
Eddie Sutton
Brad Underwood

Those are the best three coaches our program has had. the only common denominator is that they won their conference consistently as a head coach before showing up in Stillwater.

Travis Ford
Mike Boynton
Sean Sutton

The commonality between these three is that they either hadn't been a head coach before or had only won their conference once. In other words, there wasn't a consistent track record of success.

Whether we go mid-major, P5, or other, winners win. It is that simple. The key to winning is consistency, and those that are consistent consistently win. That needs to be our qualifier going forward.

Less pressure in the SEC than Big 12?
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back