Who Should OSU Hire as Next Basketball Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big 12 is to basketball what SEC is to football, some really good teams.
I actually think it might be more so. At least this year.

...which makes it all the more horrible that we are THE WORST team in this whole damned conference.
200.gif

I see a lot of people suggesting that we wait until after April 1 when the buyout drops. Unfortunately, we can't afford to wait that long....he has to be let go the morning after our last game. The coaching carousel will ramp up in early March and hit its peak in mid to late March. We cannot give all the other schools looking for new coaches a 2- 3 week head start on us. Not to mention that I think the transfer portal opens up after the conference tournaments so we need to have someone (with their staff) in place as quickly as possible to start recruiting those players. And as for our own players, I don't know if getting rid of MB will cause more of them to stay or leave but it's better knowing that as soon as possible.

As for who to hire, that I don't know, I've seen a lot of good names thrown around in this thread and on other sites. I do know what I DON'T want to see though: No million dollar consulting firms and no candidates without head coaching experience (this includes Doug G).

I see a lot of people suggesting that we wait until after April 1 when the buyout drops. Unfortunately, we can't afford to wait that long....he has to be let go the morning after our last game. The coaching carousel will ramp up in early March and hit its peak in mid to late March. We cannot give all the other schools looking for new coaches a 2- 3 week head start on us. Not to mention that I think the transfer portal opens up after the conference tournaments so we need to have someone (with their staff) in place as quickly as possible to start recruiting those players. And as for our own players, I don't know if getting rid of MB will cause more of them to stay or leave but it's better knowing that as soon as possible.

As for who to hire, that I don't know, I've seen a lot of good names thrown around in this thread and on other sites. I do know what I DON'T want to see though: No million dollar consulting firms and no candidates without head coaching experience (this includes Doug G).
I would hope we hire a coach that makes it to the sweet sixteen this year so that person wouldn’t be available until late March at the earliest.

Final Four is April 6 & 8, so Sweet Sixteen is March 28-31 (Easter Weekend). I don’t think we would hire anyone before the Sweet Sixteen unless it was a mid-major coach who lost the opening weekend, or someone out of coaching this year.

Underwood was hired from SFA on 3/21, the day after he lost in the round of 32. Boynton was hired on 3/24, after Underwood left on 3/17.

Transfer portal for BB reopens 3/13 and runs to 5/11.

Final Four is April 6 & 8, so Sweet Sixteen is March 28-31 (Easter Weekend). I don’t think we would hire anyone before the Sweet Sixteen unless it was a mid-major coach who lost the opening weekend, or someone out of coaching this year.

Underwood was hired from SFA on 3/21, the day after he lost in the round of 32. Boynton was hired on 3/24, after Underwood left on 3/17.

Transfer portal for BB reopens 3/13 and runs to 5/11.
Also opens for 30 days after you fire your coach. That's when our entire team leaves.

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain why we couldn't announce his departure after our last game, effective 4/1. Or, hopefully, negotiate a buyout in advance at a price between the 3/21 (ish) price and the 4/1 price. Might be worth it to get our guy, assuming his team is not still playing.

What does Boynton’s contract actually say? Does have to be head coach or can he be assigned other duties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back