OSU vs. Mizzou

MustangPokeFan

Preview of our Big 12 Tournament chances. The boys have been wrestling well. It will be all about matchups but I am encouraged by the number of takedowns against Michigan.

Yes mostly all good stuff Friday, However, even though Mizzou is lower ranked (9) than Michigan was, I dont expect them to be missing 3 or 4 guys like Michigan, and will be a much more difficult test. They are 7-2 on the year with losses to Arizona State (19-17) and Virginia Tech (17-15) both at the bgeinnng of the year. They just smoked OU 33-3 in Friday, but it was closer than the score appeared and they won few really tight matches. We will need a couple of upsets to keep it close. It's on ESPN+ at 2:00 for anyone wishing to watch. Here is my rundown for those that care:

125: Reece Witcraft (15-5) v. (14) Noah Surtin (11-4): Witcraft cramped up a couple of times but looked really good until giving up the pin in OT on Friday. That match against a ranked wrestler could have gone either way and honestly I think this one could too. One of the top 2 or 3 matches to steal a win here. I think Surtin pulls out a close one though (0-3 Mizzou)

133: (2) Daton Fix (17-0) v. (26) Connor Brown (9-5): Brown doesn't get pinned, and has ket it clsoe agsint some other top 15 guys but Fix is a different animal. Fix is an enigma in that he could easily have a massive bonus rate, but doesn't (47%) being content to ride people for 4 minutes instead of getting the points. Im going to call this major decision, but we really need a pin to stay in the dual. (4-3 OSU)

141: (22) Carter Young (10-8) v. (7) Allan Hart (11-3): Another matchup we have a chance in, despite the difference in ranking. Young has looked great the last few duals beating higher ranked guys, and if he can finish takedowns he could win this matchup. I think his problems on bottom will be tough to overcome, however, and he will lose by decision. (4-6 Mizzou)

149: (20) Victor Voinovich (12-5) v. (7) Brock Mauller (11-1): Maulelr has finished 5th and 6th at NCAA's in the past, but was injured last year and took a redshirt. He lost to a top 10 Kyle Parco (3-2), but beat Caleb Henson (7-5) and Colin Realbuto (3-1) (Who Vic lost to 5-4). When Voinovich wrestles to his ability, he's a top 10 guy, but he can be inconsistent and just hasnt made it over the hump. Mauller by decision (4-9 Mizzou)

157: (14) Kaden Gfeller (13-5) v. (8) Jarrett Jacques (13-2): Another matchup that could go either way, but Jacques seems to win the close ones where G. often ends up on the losing end. Hard not to pick Jacques here by decision (4-12 Mizzou)

165: (24) Wyatt Sheets (11-8) v. (1) Keegan O'Toole (11-0): Sheets has no chance and if he doesnt give up bonus points will will be a miracle. Out of O'Toole's 11 wins 7 have come by fall or tech fall. O'Toole has not been challenged much, only facing one top 10 guy so far, but still not terribly ripe for an upset. O'Toole major. (4-16 Mizzou)

174: (6) Dustin Plott (16-1) v. (10) Payton Mocco (15-3): They have faced 2X with Plott coming out on top both times (12-7 a month ago and 4-3 last year). Outside of one brain fart Plott has been excellent this year, and I expect a win, but not bonus points. (7-16 Mizzou)

184: (11) Travis Wittlake (12-3) v. (26) Colton Hawks (12-5): Wittlake beak Hawks 2-0 last month, and expect another win, and a little more scoring. (10-16 Mizzou)

197: (19) Luke Surber (14-5) v. (1) Rocky Elam (6-0): Surber has had a very good year, and can do some things, but Elam is world class, when he wrestles, which isnt often for whatever reason. I think Elam pushed for a major but doesnt quite get there. (10-19 Mizzou)

HWT: (24) Konnor Doucet (13-5) v. (8) Zach Elam (14-1). I think Elam is overrated at 8, and Doucet is coming off his best performance actually getting a takedown against the #1 HWT in the country. This one is going to end up 3-2 one way or the other. Until Doucet fan start winning the close ones against top 10 guys I gotta go with Elam. (10-22 Mizzou).

As you can see, it will take a couple of upsets and some bonus points for OSU to pull this one out. Its definitely doable, but we have to absolutley wrestle balls out. Lets see how it goes!

Starting at 141: Young v. Hart

1: Young immediately on a leg (of course) has a difficult time finishing (of course). Stalemate. Another leg by Young. Another good counter. Stalemate.

2: young picks neutral (interesting). Hart fires off a quick shot. Good defense by Young this time, good scramble. After a minture of scrambong. Young picks up the TD! 2-0. And rides him out! Great period for Young.

3: Young puts on a tough ride, over 1 minute RT effectively making it 3-0. Has a stall warning to worry about. Hart doing everythign he can to get out, Young holding on well. Hart gets the reverse, 2-2, cuts him 3-2 but doesnt have the time to get the TD. Good 4-2 win!

OSU: 3-0

149 Voinovich v. Mauller

1: Vic on a leg, Mauller grabs an ankle, and works his way around to get his own TD. 0-2. Mauller cuts him 1-2.

2: Vic down. Good ride by Brock. finally out just under a minute of RT. Tied 2-2. Not much action to end.

3. Mauller takes down. Vic cuts him quick. 2-3. Mauller not doing much, but no stall warning. Good D by Mauller and hangs on. 2-3.

Tied 3-3

157: Gfeller v. Jacques

1: Not much in the way of action. G gets a stall warning. ends 0-0.

2: Jacques down - out after 20 seconds. 0-1. Jacques on a leg after a nice high crotch. G gets an ankle and gets the stalemate. Another scramable to a stalemate. G. gets an ankle pic, but not enough time to finish :(

3: G. down. He's good on reverses. G out. tied 1-1. Jacques gets a nice takedown 1-3, but as per usual G gets a reverse. Tied 3-3. G holding on for dear life trying to ride him out. Restart at 24 seconds. 45 seconds of RT. Over a minute of RT. ! G wins! HUGE WIN!

OSU 6-3.

165: Sheets v. O'Toole

1: Kegan on a leg early, Sheets fights back but gives it up. 0-2. Sheets out quick, 1-2. Another shot by O'Toole. Good fight by Wyatt but eventually gives it up. 1-4. Rides him out (over a minute)

2: Sheets down. Out early. 2-4. Sheets gets a leg, but O'toole counters and gets his own TD. 2-6. Lets him go 3-6. Ankle pick by O'Toole, to a TD. 2-8.

3: O-Toole down. Could have has the reversal but settles for getting a escape. Gets a TD. 3-11. Has a RT point. Anotehr escape and TD. gets the major 4-14.

Mizzou 6-7.

174: Plott v. Mocco

1: Mocco shoots first, but doesnt finihs. Plott in on a shot, but Mocco cartwheels out to his own takedown. 0-2. Reverse by Plott 2-2, Mocco out quick 2-3.

2: Mocco down, out easy. 2-4. Mocco has the advantage on a shot, but Plott holds on to an ankle to a stalemate. Moccon on another shot, but Plott gets on top but no score.

3: Plott bottom. Out fast. 3-4. Mocco on another shot. Good defense by Plott. Mocco has definitely been the aggressor, but not like Plott has been inactive. Another shot by Mocco. Another stalemate. Shot by Plott. Stalemate. 33 seconds left. Mocco survives. 3-4. OUCH! Really hurts team score.

Mizzou 6-10.

I don’t know much about wrestling but it seems like we are making a lot of mental mistakes for easy points.

184: Wittlake v. Hawks

1: Wittlake in on the first shot, but Hawks ends up scoring in the scramble. 0-2. Wittlake out after 30 seconds. 1-2.

2: Wittlake down and out easy. 2-2. Wittlake has another ankle. Hawks tries to dive through but Wittlake catches him on his back and almost a pin! Hawks rolls over to his belly but not before two swipes for a 6-2 lead. Hawks gets the escape after Wittlake stops wrestling on the edge with 30 seconds. 3-6.

3: Hawks down. Gets out before RT over a minute. 4-6. Hawks cant score.

Mizzou 9-10

Back