Orange Power Tailgate: Central Arkansas

Pokes28

When - Saturday Sept 2 - Lots open at 8 AM - kickoff at 6 PM
Where - South side of Ag Hall

1692988436234.png

Everybody is invited to join us at the Orange Power Tailgate. This is the tailgate that was started by Scott Sturgeon what seems like a lifetime ago. Me (David Harrell) has been running it for somewhere between 13-15 years now.

Visiting fans. Please stop by. You will likely be offered food, drink, and conversation from some of the nicest people you will ever meet. A good rule of thumb is that as long as you aren't a jerk, you'll be treated like gold pretty much all over campus.

First tailgates are always difficult because Labor Day weekend, the heat, etc. So I've made an executive decision so we don't have as much food waste this year out the gate. I'm going to make 36 hamburgers and we'll have some chips and possibly other sides.

We tend to eat about the time people return from the walk before a game.

For anybody that has never come by before. This is a BYOD tailgate. There is a donation bucket (we also have venmo, etc) where every dollar that is donated goes to pay for tailgate food and any extra gets donated to the University to assist with scholarships. Last year was the first time in 12 years that we weren't able to donate at least $1000. That was due to food costs and lower attendance. But its a new year, new energy, new QB, new DC, etc. Should be a good time.

We have 400 sq foot of tent shade, a good TV setup, etc. As of last year, this is no longer a Posse lot. which means it is first come first parked for free.

Also note that when the game falls on a Premier League weekend, as it will on Sept 2, we will have the TV up and running to watch some futbol before we watch some football. That weekend, the matches start at 9 AM, so that is when the TV will be on. Anybody that is a fan of any team is willing to join our small group of zealots.

I also want to add: The tailgate really needs a hype person. Somebody that can take the place of what Mr Orange Power did for us for years which is getting the word out. Since he has stepped away, we have missed his promotion skills. I can put together a heck of a party, but I'm not a hype/marketing guy. I'm a glorified worker bee.

Excited Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

I also want to add: The tailgate really needs a hype person. Somebody that can take the place of what Mr Orange Power did for us for years which is getting the word out. Since he has stepped away, we have missed his promotion skills. I can put together a heck of a party, but I'm not a hype/marketing guy. I'm a glorified worker bee.
Maybe Becky? She is tightly connected to the university and lives in Stillwater.

Last bit of news. Not related to this weekend's tailgate.

Tim Pregler and the Karma Que guys will be cooking for us for Bedlam.

I was not looking forward to the two biggest cooks of the year (homecoming and Bedlam) being back to back, so this will be great. Anybody that hasn't been to this tailgate when Tim comes need to change that this year. The dude puts up a spread that I can't match.

Last bit of news. Not related to this weekend's tailgate.

Tim Pregler and the Karma Que guys will be cooking for us for Bedlam.

I was not looking forward to the two biggest cooks of the year (homecoming and Bedlam) being back to back, so this will be great. Anybody that hasn't been to this tailgate when Tim comes need to change that this year. The dude puts up a spread that I can't match.
Hey big guy, I got a special delivery from my Air Force buddy stationed in Germany, I will save a couple of bottles for you and the Mrs!!!

Hey big guy, I got a special delivery from my Air Force buddy stationed in Germany, I will save a couple of bottles for you and the Mrs!!!
Young man, did you bring enough for the whole class?

Was a good starting tailgate. Ran out of burgers faster than I expected. Positives. no leftovers for the first game.

Next game - Chicken legs/thighs.
The burger was exquisite. Thanks for the grub and Premier League talk.

Why didn’t I see you there?
Not sure. I hung around with Dave and JD for a minute, but I didn’t really check out the tent. We’re over by the greenhouse these days so it’s more of a trip to come over and I had Household 6 to consider.

Not sure. I hung around with Dave and JD for a minute, but I didn’t really check out the tent. We’re over by the greenhouse these days so it’s more of a trip to come over and I had Household 6 to consider.
Yeah, this old fat guy with bad knees stays close to the tent, especially on hot days.

Back