Orange Power Tailgate - South Alabama

Pokes28

When - Saturday Sept 16 - Lots open at 8 AM - kickoff at 6 PM
Where - South side of Ag Hall

1692988436234.png

Everybody is invited to join us at the Orange Power Tailgate. Food for this game will be smoked chicken (legs and thighs), corn soufflé, and green beans. Yes I will have my normal seasoning as well as a cayenne free version for those that can't handle the heat. We have over 50 pounds of chicken, so bring your appetites.

Visiting fans. Please stop by. You will likely be offered food, drink, and conversation from some of the nicest people you will ever meet. A good rule of thumb is that as long as you aren't a jerk, you'll be treated like gold pretty much all over campus.

We tend to eat about the time people return from the walk before a game.

For anybody that has never come by before. This is a BYOD tailgate. There is a donation bucket (we also have venmo, etc) where every dollar that is donated goes to pay for tailgate food and any extra gets donated to the University to assist with scholarships. Last year was the first time in 12 years that we weren't able to donate at least $1000. That was due to food costs and lower attendance. But its a new year, new energy, new QB, new DC, etc. Should be a good time. - Update - we are approximately $150 net positive after the first game. Keep up the donations so we can get our donation level back up.

We have 400 sq foot of tent shade, a good TV setup, etc. As of last year, this is no longer a Posse lot. which means it is first come first parked for free.

Also note that when the game falls on a Premier League weekend, as it will on Sept 16, we will have the TV up and running to watch some futbol before we watch some football. Any Liverpool fans (or haters) that want to come by, we will have the TV up and running by 6:30 AM. We are still working out how to watch Wrexham play at 9:00 AM for anybody that wants to see them.

Which OSU scholarship fund benefits from the donation?
It has varied a bit over the years. The first 6 or 7 years it went to the alumni association for their scholarship fund. But they made it nearly impossible to donate that way. I was literally told that they wouldn't take the money earmarked in that way. Then there was a different group for two years, (can't remember their name), that ended up rolling their fund raising with the Alumni Associations. The last few years I've gone through the Posse. I know that with their recourses, saying "sure you can use it for scholarships" is easy and likely really doesn't matter that much in the big scheme of things. If somebody has another option, I'm open to any existing service group on campus for this. As stated, it isn't a ton of money, but it is enticement for me to keep the food costs low but still put up a good spread to keep people coming. I never take anything for things like tent repair, TVs that are damaged, fuel/maintenance of the generator, food saver bags, ice, etc. For me, its a good way to party with a purpose. I'm just glad that I no longer have to pay gold parking for the tailgate on top of everything else.

It has varied a bit over the years. The first 6 or 7 years it went to the alumni association for their scholarship fund. But they made it nearly impossible to donate that way. I was literally told that they wouldn't take the money earmarked in that way. Then there was a different group for two years, (can't remember their name), that ended up rolling their fund raising with the Alumni Associations. The last few years I've gone through the Posse. I know that with their recourses, saying "sure you can use it for scholarships" is easy and likely really doesn't matter that much in the big scheme of things. If somebody has another option, I'm open to any existing service group on campus for this. As stated, it isn't a ton of money, but it is enticement for me to keep the food costs low but still put up a good spread to keep people coming. I never take anything for things like tent repair, TVs that are damaged, fuel/maintenance of the generator, food saver bags, ice, etc. For me, its a good way to party with a purpose. I'm just glad that I no longer have to pay gold parking for the tailgate on top of everything else.
You do so much. I appreciate the hell out of what you do. We’d have been there today if the wife weren’t expecting.

Back