Conference Realignment - What's next?

I think you're romanticizing things if you think any program that aimed to be competitive didn't have systematic cheating occuring pre-NIL. I don't think it had anything to do with who the coach was or wasn't. The infrastructure for being a competitive program is larger than a coach.

A coach could either choose to be more compliant with the infrastructure or turn more of a blind eye to it, but at a large program they had no power to stop it.

I think you're romanticizing things if you think any program that aimed to be competitive didn't have systematic cheating occuring pre-NIL. I don't think it had anything to do with who the coach was or wasn't. The infrastructure for being a competitive program is larger than a coach.

A coach could either choose to be more compliant with the infrastructure or turn more of a blind eye to it, but at a large program they had no power to stop it.
Their job is to keep it reigned in. One of the great Ironies of it all before NIL, the players all got gifts at the bowl games which if the same gift was given by a friend of the program would put the school on probation.

Like Bryce Young coming out and saying he received $100,000 tip as a door dasher? It’s been going on forever, only certainly programs are/were punished. Watch what happens with KU basketball today.

Like Bryce Young coming out and saying he received $100,000 tip as a door dasher? It’s been going on forever, only certainly programs are/were punished. Watch what happens with KU basketball today.
It’s the difference between hiring professional Big College Athletic Directors and hiring Boone’s accountant as an AD.

Holder was the right move at the time- but he clearly had lethal blind spots.

So, how much longer before news breaks about FSU (and maybe Miami) is leaving ACC? I mean, there's NO WAY they stay now that they were shafted in CFP.

Last edited:
So, how much longer before news breaks about FSU (and maybe Miami) is leaving ACC? I mean, there's NO WAY they stay now that they were shafted in CFP.
I mean how long does it take them to write a half billion dollar check each that won't bounce. There is gonna have to be a long drawn out court battle before anybody leaves the ACC but it's great fun to talk about.

There will come a point when it will be more beneficial for the ACC to take a payoff and let those schools walk rather than fight it. Since the contract expiration is still 12+ years away that point hasn’t been reached yet. But it’s sort of like being a small market baseball team and having a stud player. It’s better to trade them while they’re under contract and get something in return than let them walk at the end of their contract and get nothing. I’m thinking we’re 5-7 years away from that. Also, the SEC and B10 will enjoy their new toys for a few years but the luster will wear off and they will be hungry for more.

If FSU had that kind of cash they wouldn't need to leave the ACC. Miami definitely doesn't have that kind of cash.

Also, part of the reasoning for all but 3 of the ACC schools accepting Stanford, SMU, and Cal was to make the conference dissolution proof.

There will come a point when it will be more beneficial for the ACC to take a payoff and let those schools walk rather than fight it. Since the contract expiration is still 12+ years away that point hasn’t been reached yet. But it’s sort of like being a small market baseball team and having a stud player. It’s better to trade them while they’re under contract and get something in return than let them walk at the end of their contract and get nothing. I’m thinking we’re 5-7 years away from that. Also, the SEC and B10 will enjoy their new toys for a few years but the luster will wear off and they will be hungry for more.

Doesn't matter. The ACC is dead man walking. They know once FSU, Clemson, and whoever leave it's only a matter of time before they get cannibalized Pac 12 style. It probably should have been them to pull a Yormack and do anything to be in 3rd place but still at the table but their stupid long GOR at a disadvantage f****d their options. Best option for us is for Florida to say 1 ACC school only and we get Miami as a flagship school. Worst case we end up with schools like Pitt Louisville and Duke (Big bound because of academics but the commmish has a hard on for basketball so you never know). It will be interesting to see how this plays out but fun for us because we luckboxed a commissioner that unlike the last few saw this coming and was proactive

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't matter. The ACC is dead man walking. They know once FSU, Clemson, and whoever leave it's only a matter of time before they get cannibalized Pac 12 style. It probably should have been them to pull a Yormack and do anything to be in 3rd place but still at the table but their stupid long GOR at a disadvantage fucked their options. Best option for us is for Florida to say 1 ACC school only and we get Miami as a flagship school. Worst case we end up with schools like Pitt Louisville and Duke (Big bound because of academics but the commmish has a hard on for basketball so you never know). It will be interesting to see how this plays out but fun for us because we luckboxed a commissioner that unlike the last few saw this coming and was proactive
I hope Yormark likes his job. He is qualified for many jobs around the world.

If FSU had that kind of cash they wouldn't need to leave the ACC. Miami definitely doesn't have that kind of cash.

Also, part of the reasoning for all but 3 of the ACC schools accepting Stanford, SMU, and Cal was to make the conference dissolution proof.
You might want check Miami’s financial status a little closer. They are net profiting $400,000,000 a year off just their medical complexes. They are loaded

You might want check Miami’s financial status a little closer. They are net profiting $400,000,000 a year off just their medical complexes. They are loaded
That will have nothing to do with leaving the ACC. If the medical branch starts sending $100m to athletics I'll eat crow, but what their medical side is bringing in has nothing to do with their athletics access to cash.

That will have nothing to do with leaving the ACC. If the medical branch starts sending $100m to athletics I'll eat crow, but what their medical side is bringing in has nothing to do with their athletics access to cash.
you be you, strange things happen.

We heard zero about OU & Texas' move beforehand. No way FSU's spending this amount of money without a landing spot.
People do some of the darndest things at times. Why would ESPN move them to the SEC? They own both conferences. The B1G wants AAU schools and rumor has it they have a few schools sick of the expansion poop show right now.

Big 12 move for them? It would increase the conferences TV value and make them more money but they wouldn't like it.

People do some of the darndest things at times. Why would ESPN move them to the SEC? They own both conferences. The B1G wants AAU schools and rumor has it they have a few schools sick of the expansion poop show right now.

Big 12 move for them? It would increase the conferences TV value and make them more money but they wouldn't like it.
I hear ya, but I won't be surprised by anything that happens at this point.

Back