Conference Realignment - What's next?

GratefulPoke

Administrator
Staff member
Patreon Supporter
Its time to get this started.

Even Jon Wilner doesnt see the PAC12 lasting into the 2030s. He also sees the Big 12 as the 3rd of 3 power conferences.

I think a portion of the Big12 and ACC will join forces to create the 3rd CFB power.

Sounds like the ACC might just make a move on their own right now. Talk they are looking to add OR, WA, Stanford, Cal and maybe even ND out there right now. If that happens I bet we add the 4 corners schools and call it a day.

ACC+4 puts them at 18 schools. There is noise about the ACC taking in some PAC teams.

I'm worried that this happens as a Football Only Conference. Then we could be looking at a Football break-away across the nation and a NEW RACE where geography isn't holding back anything. I know this is already happening to a point, but this would unleash the flood gates.

Yesterday, ESPN was showing ACC basketball standings and their graph lopped off the bottom 5-6 teams. There should be a rule that you can't show conference standings unless you show ALL the teams instead of hiding the TRASH TEAMS.

Sounds like the ACC might just make a move on their own right now. Talk they are looking to add OR, WA, Stanford, Cal and maybe even ND out there right now. If that happens I bet we add the 4 corners schools and call it a day.
We’ll only take the 4 corners if Fox/ESPN want us to.

Its time to get this started.

Even Jon Wilner doesnt see the PAC12 lasting into the 2030s. He also sees the Big 12 as the 3rd of 3 power conferences.

Sounds like Wilner has entered the acceptance stage.

👀
Ohio State and Washington cancel planned 2024-25 home and home series
Sounds like this is due to the fact that Ohio State and Michigan are going to be getting home games against UT and OU as part of the negotiations to let them leave the Big 12 early. That allows FOX to recoup some of its lost OU/UT games. Also by that point Ohio State will have USC and UCLA in their conference so probably don't want to make another west coast trip.

This is nothing new from him. Wilner has been vocal about the pending death of the PAC since the USC/UCLA departure announcement. He's been on the "Big 12 will poach the PAC" movement from the jump.

Sounds like this is due to the fact that Ohio State and Michigan are going to be getting home games against UT and OU as part of the negotiations to let them leave the Big 12 early. That allows FOX to recoup some of its lost OU/UT games. Also by that point Ohio State will have USC and UCLA in their conference so probably don't want to make another west coast trip.
OU already had a home/home scheduled with Michigan and they did that in 2014. so that was not a part of any negotiation to exit the big 12.

Yesterday, ESPN was showing ACC basketball standings and their graph lopped off the bottom 5-6 teams. There should be a rule that you can't show conference standings unless you show ALL the teams instead of hiding the TRASH TEAMS.
Up to about a month ago with basketball, I would’ve been ok with them cutting the Big 12 off. 🤷‍♂️

They will be joining a PAC that does not look like it does now though. The media money came in to low and the only question is who jumps ship first and where do they go. There was a good article on this on ESPN yesterday behind their paywall.
Yeah the Pete Thamel article is what you are referring to, correct?

Back