Conference Realignment - What's next?

Hmmmm, I thought Swaim was on his death bed a month ago from some tweets I saw from Larry Reece and a couple of other folks!!! I guess IT WAS A MIRACLE AS THE OLD TELEVANGELISTS USED TO SAY!!!
He was admitted to hospice about a month ago. That just means he is nearing the end. He almost certainly won't survive the rest of the year. If I was confined to a bed on a ventilator for 23 hours a day just waiting to die, I would probably also playing all kinds of realignment games.

Take it for what it’s worth but Swaim is back at it predicting more conference movement.

Has us going to the SEC with FSU, Clemson, K State and Tech. With A&M potentially taking their ball and going home by bolting to B1G to avoid the Longhorns.

Kansas State in the SEC would be justified grounds for a shooting war.

I’d like someone to step in and among the colleges, alums, conferences commissioners, presidents, players, etc. to agree to not allow televised games for a season.

I feel we’re letting television executives and advertisers get drunk on their power and we need to remind them that is OUR sport. Not theirs.

They are buying the privilege to broadcast our sport. But it’s still our freaking sport.
People in hell would like a glass of water too.

People in hell would like a glass of water too.
I’m just saying, broadcast television is a dying medium- it’s basically kept alive by live sports.

The networks are important, but they need to universally be put in check and reminded who the bosses are.

It would also increase the payouts, if every FBS school stood together and showed some backbone, every game at Noon on a Saturday- i

We call the networks broadcast partner, but they are consistently overstepping boundaries and don’t have our best interests considered

I’m just saying, broadcast television is a dying medium- it’s basically kept alive by live sports.

The networks are important, but they need to universally be put in check and reminded who the bosses are.

It would also increase the payouts, if every FBS school stood together and showed some backbone, every game at Noon on a Saturday- i

We call the networks broadcast partner, but they are consistently overstepping boundaries and don’t have our best interests considered
You’re hoping and wishing for something that will NEVER happen.

Which is a serious waste of time in my book. *shrugs*

Please remember the Cowboy Rules of Life:
Faster horses, older whiskey, younger women, MORE MONEY

AD Rules of Life:
You give them your horse, they drink your older whiskey, forget the women MORE MONEY

You're just thinking about university presidents all wrong. Many of them aren't qualified to run a university or really anything of size. They are often retired politicians or business alums or academics who escaped to administration after they got tenure to follow the salary over chasing research obsessions/grants. Many are barely more than executive figureheads who are well connected among the donor base and act more in a consultant role on vision/mission to their schools while other executive positions do all of the administrative heavy lifting.

They don't know anything about television or broadcasting dollars, it is why one of them in Pac 12 believed they were worth $50 million each without LA and the other Pac 12 presidents went with it. Many don't even know much about sports. Listening in to some of the board meetings, they talked about realignment with less information than message board enthusiast.

Additionally, the regents or boards are just appointed people who were connected to the right politicians when a spot came open.

It is not significantly different than when everyone in charge of Europe was based on family & class and not on qualifications or abilities.

You're just thinking about university presidents all wrong. Many of them aren't qualified to run a university or really anything of size. They are often retired politicians or business alums or academics who escaped to administration after they got tenure to follow the salary over chasing research obsessions/grants. Many are barely more than executive figureheads who are well connected among the donor base and act more in a consultant role on vision/mission to their schools while other executive positions do all of the administrative heavy lifting.

They don't know anything about television or broadcasting dollars, it is why one of them in Pac 12 believed they were worth $50 million each without LA and the other Pac 12 presidents went with it. Many don't even know much about sports. Listening in to some of the board meetings, they talked about realignment with less information than message board enthusiast.

Additionally, the regents or boards are just appointed people who were connected to the right politicians when a spot came open.

It is not significantly different than when everyone in charge of Europe was based on family & class and not on qualifications or abilities.
It’s wild that there’s no adults in the room.

Money is important, but a quality product ensures a steady stream of money.

I don’t understand chasing a few marginal dollars and being at the mercy of broadcasters.

As someone who works in entertainment. It seems wild that college football acquiesces so much for the broadcast at the mercy of the live experience.

I don’t understand chasing a few marginal dollars and being at the mercy of broadcasters.

As someone who works in entertainment. It seems wild that college football acquiesces so much for the broadcast at the mercy of the live experience.
That's what you get when you wave a fist full of dollars in a clueless academics face.

If you think about it from a university upper admin perspective, football's role is twofold - marketing exposure for enrollment and motivating/connecting/engaging the donor base.

The product on the field and the live experience are bonuses. It is why we are keeping Mike Boynton for an 8th year.
- the donors are happy with Boynton
- the marketing bump from MBB is mostly based around NCAA tournament success which is hard to chase compared to football where an average team gets millions of viewers for a game.

It might be like being a producer of a TV show. You and your creative team may want to make something super creative. The broadcaster funding you though has bought your show to attract viewers so they can sell ad space. So, your show can be amazingly creative or incredibly formulaic - what is important is that is allows them to move the amount of ad space for the amount of revenue they need to for their own jobs.

This is the second time I've read these distributions of the Dollars. Big10 & SEC - once again killing College football.

Conference Realignment is all about the golden rule.....whoever has the gold (networks) makes the rules. Or is it whomever?
Yeah, I think Universities forget that they have more clout than they realize. Without the schools, there isn’t a product to promote.

You can’t sell Screamin A Smith, cheerleading competitions and lumberjack competitions in prime time.

Back