Colley-Matrix National Champs….

Cowboyshoopspride

Staff member
Patreon Supporter
Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

Don't forget that capital C-u-next-tuesday pinkel at mizzou who ranked us clear down at 12 or some nonsense to help boost up their future conference mate
I loved it when Nick Saban was growling prior to the SEC championship this past December that the CONFERENCE CHAMPION should be the team in the playoffs for the National Championship!!! I guess that STANDARD DIDNT APPLY FOR OLD ALABAMA IN THE CASE OF THE 2011 SEASON!!! 🥴🫣😵‍💫🙄🤨

This was known back in 2011. Only UCF uses it to claim a bs natty. At least the '45 claim came with a crystal trophy issued by the AFCA. We better not be putting 2011 on the wall. We were screwed, big time, especially since I think we would have beaten LSU. But it's in the past.

This was known back in 2011. Only UCF uses it to claim a bs natty. At least the '45 claim came with a crystal trophy issued by the AFCA. We better not be putting 2011 on the wall. We were screwed, big time, especially since I think we would have beaten LSU. But it's in the past.
I have never seen a qualifier that “NCAA football recognizes….”. That’s what got my attention. Honestly I’m not even sure what it means. 😂

I have never seen a qualifier that “NCAA football recognizes….”. That’s what got my attention. Honestly I’m not even sure what it means. 😂
It's the argument that UCF uses to support their massive "2017 National Champions" sign on their stadium. The NCAA does not "recognize" football national championships, they've always been issued by other organizations. The Colley Matrix is used in some rankings calculations, but nobody recognizes it by itself as a national title determining institution. The NCAA does list recognized football national championships on its website, but lists the organization that awarded the title. Notably, our '45 title isn't listed. In case you can't tell, I hate that we have that on the stadium, as everyone considers Army to be the '45 champs, and they apparently did not submit for the AFCA title when they announced that they would go retroactive.

It's the argument that UCF uses to support their massive "2017 National Champions" sign on their stadium. The NCAA does not "recognize" football national championships, they've always been issued by other organizations. The Colley Matrix is used in some rankings calculations, but nobody recognizes it by itself as a national title determining institution. The NCAA does list recognized football national championships on its website, but lists the organization that awarded the title. Notably, our '45 title isn't listed. In case you can't tell, I hate that we have that on the stadium, as everyone considers Army to be the '45 champs, and they apparently did not submit for the AFCA title when they announced that they would go retroactive.

While I don't disagree with you, I also thought it was farcical that a 2-loss Army team was "National Champions" over an undefeated, Sugar Bowl-winning OSU (A&M) team. I believe there was a huge sentimental vote for Army, a team full of returning WW2 vets, as we're many other teams who didn't have "Army" on there chests. Given that ou, Bama, ATM, Auburn, etc., claim Nattys based on rankings from some fairly obscure organizations, I long thought we should claim at least a share of the '45 title. Now it's based on the Colley Matrix, which at least uses some type of statistical analysis, no doubt flawed or biased as are all non-playoff systems. That's why I don't have a problem with the '45 claim on our wall.

That said, I wouldn't even consider putting up a claim for 2011, because there was a playoff "system" in place, even though it was also hugely, hugely flawed and completely biased.

That last sentence is 100% why we should claim it. They announced they were going to retroactively pick national champions. We applied. They picked us. If Army wanted it they should have applied.

While I don't disagree with you, I also thought it was farcical that a 2-loss Army team was "National Champions" over an undefeated, Sugar Bowl-winning OSU (A&M) team. I believe there was a huge sentimental vote for Army, a team full of returning WW2 vets, as we're many other teams who didn't have "Army" on there chests. Given that ou, Bama, ATM, Auburn, etc., claim Nattys based on rankings from some fairly obscure organizations, I long thought we should claim at least a share of the '45 title. Now it's based on the Colley Matrix, which at least uses some type of statistical analysis, no doubt flawed or biased as are all non-playoff systems. That's why I don't have a problem with the '45 claim on our wall.

That said, I wouldn't even consider putting up a claim for 2011, because there was a playoff "system" in place, even though it was also hugely, hugely flawed and completely biased.
What? Army was 9-0 and the AP was the only institution issuing rankings at the time.

What? Army was 9-0 and the AP was the only institution issuing rankings at the time.

Whoa. I was way off, though I like my version better.

According to Wiki (worth every cent you pay for it), Army was the unanimous AP #1, picked 1st by all 119 voters. It does say, however, there were 9 organizations that did rankings, and all named Army #1.

Certainly weakens (or kills) my argument, but there are still a lot of dodgy claims to National Championships out there. Doesn't really bother me to claim one with an undefeated team when some of the blue bloods are claiming disputed titles based on obscure ratings organizations.

Whoa. I was way off, though I like my version better.

According to Wiki (worth every cent you pay for it), Army was the unanimous AP #1, picked 1st by all 119 voters. It does say, however, there were 9 organizations that did rankings, and all named Army #1.

Certainly weakens (or kills) my argument, but there are still a lot of dodgy claims to National Championships out there. Doesn't really bother me to claim one with an undefeated team when some of the blue bloods are claiming disputed titles based on obscure ratings organizations.
I'm fine with it in Heritage Hall, just don't like seeing it on the stadium. When we're on national tv, there will always be people on social media who mention it mock the claim. It shouldn't bother me, but it kinda does.

I'm fine with it in Heritage Hall, just don't like seeing it on the stadium. When we're on national tv, there will always be people on social media who mention it mock the claim. It shouldn't bother me, but it kinda does.
Dang right it shouldn't bother you. IDGAF what people on social media thing or say about anything.

The 2011 Colley Matrix ranking is just as legit as a whole host of sketchy past rankings used through history by the likes of Arkansas, Alabama, A&M, etc. to proclaim national titles.

I say.....(tongue only slightly in cheek)....crown 'em now.

Proud Mr Bean GIF by Working Title

Arguing about something 15 years ago is weird.

We should have been winning conference championships and making a four team playoff every 4-5 years minimum.

We should be in the 12 team playoff at minimum every 2 years.

Players on our roster were toddlers in 2011.

We should move the F on and demand better results. Nostalgia is cool. Achievement is cooler.

Arguing about something 15 years ago is weird.

We should have been winning conference championships and making a four team playoff every 4-5 years minimum.

We should be in the 12 team playoff at minimum every 2 years.

Players on our roster were toddlers in 2011.

We should move the F on and demand better results. Nostalgia is cool. Achievement is cooler.
Yep. A legendary program like ours should dominate.

I mean hell we did 3 way tie that one time. So!!

Btw. I know you are trolling. At least you better be.

Back