Big 12 Tournament Thread

More than convinced Iowa state is the best team in the big XII…credit them
Eh probably a tie. They just out bonus pointed us. I think they have 20ish extra points and we lost by 9. They had quite a few pins which is not super common at this level. If we wrestle that tournament again I wouldn’t expect them to win. At least not by the amount that they did

Eh probably a tie. They just out bonus pointed us. I think they have 20ish extra points and we lost by 9. They had quite a few pins which is not super common at this level. If we wrestle that tournament again I wouldn’t expect them to win. At least not by the amount that they did
We beat them head to head 21-12, not sure how anyone can say they were "better." Only one XII team wrestled all the others head to head and didn't lose. The standard tourney versus dual championship rhetoric makes sense.

Ehh…Iowa state is the better team IMO. They flat out outperformed us from technically and physically. Pinning folks is normal, it happens. They win this tournament whether by 14 or 1. By how many points is irrelevant IMO.

Ehh…Iowa state is the better team IMO. They flat out outperformed us from technically and physically. Pinning folks is normal, it happens. They win this tournament whether by 14 or 1. By how many points is irrelevant IMO.
We went 5-0 head to head against Iowa State. Qualified 10 for nationals to their 9. But sure they are the better team.

We went 5-0 head to head against Iowa State. Qualified 10 for nationals to their 9. But sure they are the better team.
Not saying we're bad...top to bottom they were better....and their 197 should get an at-large on Wednesday...they'll have 10 wrestlers as well. In the end we finished 2nd...we're a better dual team, they're a better tournament team IMO. They proved that this past weekend. They also had 5 guys in the finals compared to our 4 and 2 Big XII champs compared to our one...but hey we're better

Not saying we're bad...top to bottom they were better....and their 197 should get an at-large on Wednesday...they'll have 10 wrestlers as well. In the end we finished 2nd...we're a better dual team, they're a better tournament team IMO. They proved that this past weekend. They also had 5 guys in the finals compared to our 4 and 2 Big XII champs compared to our one...but hey we're better
Sorry, gonna have to discuss here...

There are a few factors that went in to the point differential.
In point potential:
OSU had 5 byes in the tournament- 4 in opening rd and 1 in cons.
Results of 1st rd bouts: TF, TF, Dec, Fall, Loss, Dec
ISU had 3 byes...all in opening rd.
Results of 1st rd bouts: Loss, MD, TF, TF, Fall, Dec, Fall
Who's to say Spratley or Olejnik doesn't get a Fall or TF in their opening match instead of 1 advancement point? Or Williams or Thompson for that matter?

ISUs 174 & 184 get a bye in 1st rd. Both lose in their next bout. However...174 then goes Fall, Fall, MD (beat by B. Thompson for 3rd).
184 then goes Fall, TF (beat by AF guy and then beat by Mizz for 5th).
Also, ISU 149 (seeded #1) makes it to the Semi rd, gets beat by Williams (OSU), then goes MD, TF for 3rd on the backside.

As was said, we beat them head-to-head...but we were sending some of their best to consolations and they were cashing in.

Do we need to improve in the Bonus? Sure...but it's not like they are head and shoulders above us.

Sorry, gonna have to discuss here...

There are a few factors that went in to the point differential.
In point potential:
OSU had 5 byes in the tournament- 4 in opening rd and 1 in cons.
Results of 1st rd bouts: TF, TF, Dec, Fall, Loss, Dec
ISU had 3 byes...all in opening rd.
Results of 1st rd bouts: Loss, MD, TF, TF, Fall, Dec, Fall
Who's to say Spratley or Olejnik doesn't get a Fall or TF in their opening match instead of 1 advancement point? Or Williams or Thompson for that matter?

ISUs 174 & 184 get a bye in 1st rd. Both lose in their next bout. However...174 then goes Fall, Fall, MD (beat by B. Thompson for 3rd).
184 then goes Fall, TF (beat by AF guy and then beat by Mizz for 5th).
Also, ISU 149 (seeded #1) makes it to the Semi rd, gets beat by Williams (OSU), then goes MD, TF for 3rd on the backside.

As was said, we beat them head-to-head...but we were sending some of their best to consolations and they were cashing in.

Do we need to improve in the Bonus? Sure...but it's not like they are head and shoulders above us.
Not into excuses and Never said there were head and shoulders..just said they’re the better team this year. Bonus points has been and will always be important. There’s a reason why Penn State runs wrestling right now. They win with intent of scoring bonus points whether their wrestlers are in the championship or consolation bracket…that’s a sign of a championship team.
I appreciate the breakdown even though I watched it live in person…my point still stands..Iowa state was the better team IMO.

Not into excuses and Never said there were head and shoulders..just said they’re the better team this year. Bonus points has been and will always be important. There’s a reason why Penn State runs wrestling right now. They win with intent of scoring bonus points whether their wrestlers are in the championship or consolation bracket…that’s a sign of a championship team.
I appreciate the breakdown even though I watched it live in person…my point still stands..Iowa state was the better team IMO.
Well, okay then...my apologies. Those aren't excuses...just how the tournament played out. In theory we lost 3-4 points minimum in the 1st rd. But you were there, so no other analysis matters.

Well, okay then...my apologies. Those aren't excuses...just how the tournament played out. In theory we lost 3-4 points minimum in the 1st rd. But you were there, so no other analysis matters.

I understand…just simply said Iowa state was the best team in the Big XII and the results showed it. Doesn’t mean we had a bad year..we’ve had a good year no question about it. Nothing wrong with admitting a team is better than you

Back