Basketball season is here! Cowboy Basketball vs Oklahoma Baptist University Bisons (Exhibition)

Anyone have any takeaways from the exhibition? I know it was just OBU but seems like the freshmen played well and shooting has improved with the young guys.

It will be interesting to see how the two primary point guards (Small and Keller) fit in once they return from their injuries.

In years past I dont think we would have looked this cohesive in exhibition. We will see how things go.
I caught about 10 minutes of the second half. Biggest take away was that the freshman looked more physically developed than I can remember. Garrison, Daily, and McBride in particular were not bean poles.

Dow has a great looking shot and quick release. He caught his passes, squared the shoulders, and kept the ball chest level each time I saw him with the ball. I was surprised at his steal and dunk too. Looked like it took him some effort to throw it down, but he is certainly more athletic than I would have guessed.

Much better passing all around than many/most Boyton teams, but still more one on one dribbling into trouble than I would like to see. Hoping that is more of a freshman issue that will smooth out. Marsh is a load and much more polished offensively than Cisse, but nowhere near as athletic.

Last edited:
I caught about 10 minutes of the second half. Biggest take away was that the freshman looked more physically developed than I can remember. Garrison, Daily, and McBride in particular were not bean poles.

Dow has a great looking shot and quick release. He caught his passes, squared the shoulders, and kept the ball chest level each time I saw him with the ball. I was surprised at his steal and dunk too. Looked like it took him some effort to throw it down, but he is certainly more athletic than I would have guessed.

Much better passing all around than many/most Boyton teams, but still more one on one dribbling into trouble than I would like to see. Hoping that is more of a freshman issue that will smooth out. Marsh is a load and much more polished offensively than Cisse, but nowhere beneath as athletic.
I didn’t make it to GIA and plan to watch the espn+ replay but wonder from your post if marsh can play/guard at the 4 w Garrison at the 5 and Dailey at the 3. I realize this means you have JMW and Thompson splitting time or maybe running the 1 and 2. That would be a big lineup.

I didn’t make it to GIA and plan to watch the espn+ replay but wonder from your post if marsh can play/guard at the 4 w Garrison at the 5 and Dailey at the 3. I realize this means you have JMW and Thompson splitting time or maybe running the 1 and 2. That would be a big lineup.
I’d love to give a definitive “yes”, but only seeing a quarter of one exhibition game….

If I had to guess, from a defensive standpoint, no. I don’t think Marsh is fast enough to cover a mobile PF, however, Garrison might be though I think his skill set is more tailored to be in the paint. Offensively, I think it could work if marsh can step out to at least the elbow to keep the paint open.

Back