Sunday Morning Coaches (Week 1): Kill the Wabbit edition

GratefulPoke

Administrator
Staff member
Patreon Supporter
Now that nearly 24 hours have passed, what are your thoughts on the game? What grades would you give our team?

Offense: A-
Defense: C+
Special Teams: A

Overall, I was pleased with the game. We took SDSU seriously, and it is a good thing we did, because they were a good team. If we played this game last year, I think we take the loss and likely even get blown out. A few random thoughts:
- Bowman was great. Only a couple errant passes and one interceptable ball.
- Gordon was good and made a lot out of the few lanes that were made. I really would have liked to see more Seshi or Howland and save some tread.
- The o line was elite in pass blocking, but we're really sub par run blocking. Credit SDSU's line, who was undersized, but active.
- Our WRs looked really, really good. Excited to see what they do the rest of the year, especially of the drops can be cleaned up.
- I didn't notice our TEs a whole lot. Didn't seem to be responsible for major breakdowns, but also didn't stand out a ton in a positive way.

- Our DTs played pretty well, but didn't collapse the pocket or dominate the LOS. Credit SDSU's o line, which would be a top half line in the Big12 IMO. They were fundamentally sound.
- I really would have liked to see more pressure from our DE's. They came on a bit late, but we are gonna struggle if QBs have that much time consistently. This position is my biggest concern on the team right now.
- Other than a couple overpursuits by Daniels, all 3 played really well. Bailed out our line play often. They also generated the most pressure on Gronowski.
- CBs played pretty well, no real glaring concerns.
- Safeties were a mixed bag. Rucker had a hell of a game and was in the right place consistently and made the tackle. Cam Smith had a pretty rough game in coverage. He got beat often and SDSU noticed and kept picking on him. He is going to need to be a bit more disciplined moving forward. Dylan Smith came in the game late in relief and played well.

- Return game was good, but not great. Had a couple opportunities, but weren't able to break one.
- Outside of one return, the coverage unit played well.
- Kaak was excellent. I don't think we are going to punt a ton this year, but when we do, we will be in good hands.
- I did not expect our kicking game to look like it did. Reports early in fall camp were that we were having problems there, and it looks like that got cleaned up. As others have mentioned, Snyder might have something to do with that.

SDSU's QB is really good, and if their receivers played a touch better, this would have been a close one. They looked better than NDSU did against Colorado, IMO.

Also, thank you SDSU fans for stopping by the site, and if you made it to Stillwater I hope you had a great time. We wish you the best the rest of the season! Get that threepeat!

Offensive line:

Pass protection: A
Run blocking: C+

QB:

Game management: A
Passing: B+

WRs:

Blocking: B
Receiving: A+

Defense:

Corner pass coverage: B-
Safety pass coverage: B
Linebackers: B+
Defensive line: B+
Pass rush: A

Offense:

Line: Probably the best pass blocking game I've seen since 2011. I'm not going to go too far with this, as the SDSU line, while very high energy, is also very undersized in comparison, but that performance was excellent. Run blocking was tough to watch. I'm going to give them some leniency, as SDSU was using very exotic stunts and blitzes to get into the backfield, and the TEs missed some very crucial seal blocks on the back of the zone run plays. However, I still would've liked to see more physicality with our size advantage to move SDSU off the LOS.

QB: Bowman played very well. He had a few misses, but as I tried to say last year, that's just who he is at this point. A 7th year QB isn't likely to make a significant leap in mechanics. However, the line made it easy for him to run the offense and go through his reads, and he did a great job at taking advantage. A couple of converted drops and his stat line is even more impressive.

RB: Ollie was great, as expected. Sesi has burst, and I'm excited to see him get reps. He's a bit too patient right now, not exactly trusting his vision, but I'm hopeful that when he does get that confidence, he will be very explosive. He's good in the pass game, as well. FWIW, Ollie had a couple of runs as well where he was a touch too patient. I think just getting into the flow of the season will correct that.

WR: If it weren't for an all-time experienced o-line, this would be the most experienced group on the field and it showed. They were using their body to shield defenders, making strong catches with their hands, and Presley was all over the field showing how valuable he can be. There were a few drops that were pretty tough to swallow- one was a TD and the other would've put us deep in the RZ. However, I am fairly confident that this will be corrected as the season progresses.

Defense:

Line: I thought the line did really well. Physical at the point of attack against a very veteran and technically proficient SDSU o-line. They strung out plays and allowed the LBs to make plays on the edge. They were able to get near Gronowski and force him off his spot or to make unbalanced throws. Outside of one long run, they were excellent at stopping the run. Really solid.

LBs: I maintain this is the best group of LBs in the nation and they did nothing but solidify that opinion yesterday. Outstanding on the edges, reading the QB, and cleaning up when we had some missed tackles. I could wax eloquently on their performance, but in the name of brevity: outstanding.

DBs: They did well. Got a good pick on Gronowski. They were put in tough positions just due to blitzes we called and Gronowski was really good at reading the pressure and recognizing where the gaps would be. You can't cover the entire field and bring extra guys, so there were going to be some gaps. What I saw, however, was very few completely missed assignments, which is a huge improvement from last year. The defense that Nardo runs is difficult to learn, but if you can master it, it can be smothering. I think we saw the growing pains of trying to learn it last year. I'm hopeful that this year, the defense will take a leap forward. We certainly have the personnel to do it.

ST:

Kicker: Excellent. Posted my thoughts in another thread, but that was a relief after losing Hale.

Punter: 73 yards?!? Are you freaking kidding me? That, right there, is how you get "randomly" selected for drug testing.

Just about all my thoughts. Looking forward to Arkansas. I wish we played this matchup more often, but I'll enjoy it on Saturday. I don't know much about Arkansas, but I'm confident in our team, which is something that I couldn't really say much last year.

Now that nearly 24 hours have passed, what are your thoughts on the game? What grades would you give our team?

Offense: A-
Defense:C+
Special Teams: A

Overall, I was pleased with the game. We took SDSU seriously, and it is a good thing we did, because they were a good team. If we played this game last year, I think we take the loss and likely even get blown out. A few random thoughts:
- Bowman was great. Only a couple errant passes and one interceptable ball.
- Gordon was good and made a lot out of the few lanes that were made. I really would have liked to see more Seshi or Howland and save some tread.
- The o line was elite in pass blocking, but we're really sub par run blocking. Credit SDSU's line, who was undersized, but active.
- Our WRs looked really, really good. Excited to see what they do the rest of the year, especially of the drops can be cleaned up.
- I didn't notice our TEs a whole lot. Didn't seem to be responsible for major breakdowns, but also didn't stand out a ton in a positive way.

- Our DTs played pretty well, but didn't collapse the pocket or dominate the LOS. Credit SDSU's o line, which would be a top half line in the Big12 IMO. They were fundamentally sound.
- I really would have liked to see more pressure from our DE's. They came on a bit late, but we are gonna struggle if QBs have that much time consistently. This position is my biggest concern on the team right now.
- Other than a couple overpursuits by Daniels, all 3 played really well. Bailed out our line play often. They also generated the most pressure on Gronowski.
- CBs played pretty well, no real glaring concerns.
- Safeties were a mixed bag. Rucker had a hell of a game and was in the right place consistently and made the tackle. Cam Smith had a pretty rough game in coverage. He got beat often and SDSU noticed and kept picking on him. He is going to need to be a bit more disciplined moving forward. Dylan Smith came in the game late in relief and played well.

- Return game was good, but not great. Had a couple opportunities, but weren't able to break one.
- Outside of one return, the coverage unit played well.
- Kaak was excellent. I don't think we are going to punt a ton this year, but when we do, we will be in good hands.
- I did not expect our kicking game to look like it did. Reports early in fall camp were that we were having problems there, and it looks like that got cleaned up. As others have mentioned, Snyder might have something to do with that.

SDSU's QB is really good, and if their receivers played a touch better, this would have been a close one. They looked better than NDSU did against Colorado, IMO.

Also, thank you SDSU fans for stopping by the site, and if you made it to Stillwater I hope you had a great time. We wish you the best the rest of the season! Get that threepeat!

Maybe we’ll do better next week against North Arkansas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We're a little past Sunday morning, but my day started early today and I didn't have time for this. So here is Sunday Morning Coaches, a little late.

Overall rating: B+

Uniforms: A+ I love white helmet, orange jersey, and white pants. That is just the look for me.

Offense: B
23 first downs to their 17. 160 yards rushing on 39 carries for an average of 3.8 ypc. They outrushed us averaging 4.4 ypc. However, Ollie rushed for 4.5 ypc and gave us a couple of really big plays in the second half. QB rating 155.1 for Bowman compared to 126.4 for their QB. At one point Bowman had completed like 14 in a row (can't remember the exact number). It seemed to me that Bowman was very efficient with the ball and managed the game well. The offense was... workman like. The play calling was, of course, the vanilla that we expect from Gundy/Dunn in the first game.

Defense: B-
Dave and John commented that their offense looked, I can't remember their exact words so I'll use my own, discombobulated - not quite their usual efficient selves. We held them to 388 yards of total offense and gave up 20 points. They several chunk plays that added to the yardage totals. We held them to 3-13 on third down conversion and we continue to be excellent on 4th down, they were oh-fer. Collin Oliver looked like the best athlete on the field.

Special teams: A
That 52 yard field goal was dead solid perfect.

Coaching: B-
We gave up that long touchdown in the second half and another touchdown. But other than that I thought our defense looked better in the second half. Then there was 27 points out of our offense in the second half. We made the better adjustments, but I really would like to not have allowed them to get to 20 points. They score in the teens and I'm okay with it.

Crowd/atmosphere: A+
Contrast our crowd with the, ahem, other team who played on Friday night and there were a lot of empty seats... our crowd showed up. Good lord I wish I wasn't stuck here in Michigan watching the games on TV. I want to be in the middle of that sea of orange.

Ride with pride! Go Pokes!

What was your coach's eye view?

We are better than last year. The Wabbitts are a pretty decent fb team. We ran the ball with 8 in the box most of the day. I would give us a B-, which is more to do with opening day than anything else

We are better than last year. The Wabbitts are a pretty decent fb team. We ran the ball with 8 in the box most of the day. I would give us a B-, which is more to do with opening day than anything else
Our overall grades are pretty doggone close.

I should add to the offense discussion, I can't remember us giving up a sack, and Bowman was able to complete the 14? in a row because he not only had time to throw, but time to work through the progressions. That amazing catch that Ollie made I'm pretty sure he was the last option in the progression. Bowman still had time to throw and made a decent throw, even though it was low and Ollie had to make a great catch.

I should add to the offense discussion, I can't remember us giving up a sack, and Bowman was able to complete the 14? in a row because he not only had time to throw, but time to work through the progressions. That amazing catch that Ollie made I'm pretty sure he was the last option in the progression. Bowman still had time to throw and made a decent throw, even though it was low and Ollie had to make a great catch.
Our pass blocking is 2011 level good.

Back