Sunday Morning Coaches (week 2): Pork, the other white meat edition

Coaching: F/A-
To put it simply, our half-time adjustments were better than theirs. Again. Gundy and staff do a great job of making changes at half-time. Dave and John made a point on the radio broadcast, this is the 20th time since 2014 that the Pokes have come back from 11+ points down to win.
This what puzzles me. We usually play a good to great second half because of adjustments. A team that makes adjustments on the fly will beat us. We need to do the same. That’s how you win more games.

BPS was amazing. I expected the stands to empty out after halftime after that first half p!ss poor performance. NO ONE left! It was loud and definitely effected the game. I also think there were more SDSU fans last week than Arkansas fans I guess I expected a gooner type invasion.

BPS was amazing. I expected the stands to empty out after halftime after that first half p!ss poor performance. NO ONE left! It was loud and definitely effected the game. I also think there were more SDSU fans last week than Arkansas fans I guess I expected a gooner type invasion.
I saw a lot of red on the stands. Speaking of that, Arky fans can’t make up their minds as to what shade of red to wear. Are they Nebraska red or Aggy maroon.
IMG_2151.jpeg

Ref did blow the illegal procedure call. The lineman called offsides and you can clearly see him call offsides and point to the Hogs as he is running to head Ref. Some other ref must have disagreed and in the ref huddle it was overturned.
Yep, that is what happened:
Stewart’s motion caused Arkansas defensive end Anton Juncaj to jump. His movement led OSU offensive tackle Dalton Cooper to move as well, and that’s when the flag came in.

The head line judge ran in and initially signaled offsides on Arkansas. However, the umpire entered the conversation and could be seen on the TV broadcast discussing Stewart’s motion on Bowman’s clap.
It was ruled to be illegal motion, and thus, a 5-yard penalty on OSU, setting up the dramatic double-overtime finish.

“The explanation to me was, 'You can't do that,'” Gundy said. “But we've done it before. So there's the issue you have with officiating crews.”

2nd best game of a wild weekend according to Bill Connelly of ESPN:

Midway through the fourth quarter of this absolutely madcap affair, I texted a friend and said, "This feels like a game Oklahoma State has won 37 times over the last few years, and this feels like a game Arkansas has lost 37 times over the last few years." Scientific? No, but Mike Gundy's Cowboys are now 18-8 in one-score finishes since 2020 and have won six of their past seven, while Sam Pittman's Razorbacks have lost 10 of their past 12.

The sillier things get, the more comfortable OSU seems to get, and now the Cowboys can check "spot your opponent a 14-point lead, get outgained by 263 yards, have your All-American running back average 2.9 yards per carry, don't score your first offensive touchdown until the fourth quarter, have your veteran quarterback get called for a costly taunting penalty in the final minutes of regulation, allow a last-second field goal, miss a field goal in overtime and still win" off their close game bingo card.

Arkansas quarterback Taylen Green was just about the best (416 passing yards, 89 non-sack rushing yards) and worst player on the field (three sacks, a bad pick, other near-picks and a fumble). Arkansas linebacker Xavian Sorey Jr. played the game of his life (13 tackles, two missile-like tackles for loss) and committed one of the silliest and costliest personal fouls you'll ever see, turning a third-and-9 into a first down in the second overtime. (Ollie Gordon II scored on the next play.) The Razorbacks made most of the game's best and worst plays, and in the end, Gundy's team won a weird one. As (almost) always.

-sent from my iPhone, in Cozumel 😉🤿🍺👐🌴

2nd best game of a wild weekend according to Bill Connelly of ESPN:

Midway through the fourth quarter of this absolutely madcap affair, I texted a friend and said, "This feels like a game Oklahoma State has won 37 times over the last few years, and this feels like a game Arkansas has lost 37 times over the last few years." Scientific? No, but Mike Gundy's Cowboys are now 18-8 in one-score finishes since 2020 and have won six of their past seven, while Sam Pittman's Razorbacks have lost 10 of their past 12.

The sillier things get, the more comfortable OSU seems to get, and now the Cowboys can check "spot your opponent a 14-point lead, get outgained by 263 yards, have your All-American running back average 2.9 yards per carry, don't score your first offensive touchdown until the fourth quarter, have your veteran quarterback get called for a costly taunting penalty in the final minutes of regulation, allow a last-second field goal, miss a field goal in overtime and still win" off their close game bingo card.

Arkansas quarterback Taylen Green was just about the best (416 passing yards, 89 non-sack rushing yards) and worst player on the field (three sacks, a bad pick, other near-picks and a fumble). Arkansas linebacker Xavian Sorey Jr. played the game of his life (13 tackles, two missile-like tackles for loss) and committed one of the silliest and costliest personal fouls you'll ever see, turning a third-and-9 into a first down in the second overtime. (Ollie Gordon II scored on the next play.) The Razorbacks made most of the game's best and worst plays, and in the end, Gundy's team won a weird one. As (almost) always.

-sent from my iPhone, in Cozumel 😉🤿🍺👐🌴
He speaks great truth. When we got pick 6 I knew the crazy was just getting started. Winning these kinds of games quits being luck after the second or third time you pull it off.

He speaks great truth. When we got pick 6 I knew the crazy was just getting started. Winning these kinds of games quits being luck after the second or third time you pull it off.
He only goes back to 2020, but I really feel like we started consistently winning close/1score games in like’16 or ‘17.

There’s the old coaches’ cliche that’more games are lost than won.’ I think we started to see this in the years I mentioned & thought we began to see a new Gundy at that time, & it’s paid off in spades. I guess the best example I can think of is the run we had against Texas. They created new ways to lose against us but it came down to lack attention to detail and crucial mistakes at the worst times.

Bowman……dude. Don’t ever, ever do something like that again. One, you ain’t that good. Two, that REALLY ain’t our culture. Be like Barry.

Press On
It’s the tacobreath coming out, hopefully he got that out of his system. It was still a damn weak call

Yep, that is what happened:
Stewart’s motion caused Arkansas defensive end Anton Juncaj to jump. His movement led OSU offensive tackle Dalton Cooper to move as well, and that’s when the flag came in.

The head line judge ran in and initially signaled offsides on Arkansas. However, the umpire entered the conversation and could be seen on the TV broadcast discussing Stewart’s motion on Bowman’s clap.
It was ruled to be illegal motion, and thus, a 5-yard penalty on OSU, setting up the dramatic double-overtime finish.

“The explanation to me was, 'You can't do that,'” Gundy said. “But we've done it before. So there's the issue you have with officiating crews.”
Here are the actual rules. I fail to see how they can call illegal shift or illegal motion. The end was clearly behind the line of scrimmage and did not move towards the goal line.

b. Man in Motion.
1. One back may be in motion, but that back may not be moving toward their opponent’s goal line
2. The player who goes in motion may not start from the line of scrimmage unless they first become a back and come to a complete stop
3. A player in motion at the snap must have satisfied the one-second rule—i e , that player may not start their motion before any shift has ended (Rule 2-22-1-c)
c. Illegal Shift. At the snap, Team A may not execute an illegal shift (Rule 7-1-2-a) (A R 7-1-3-I-II)

Shift and False Start
ARTICLE 2. a. Shift. After a huddle (Rule 2-14) or shift (Rule 2-22-1) and before the snap, all Team A players must come to an absolute stop and remain stationary in their positions without movement of the feet, body, head or arms for at least one full second before the ball is snapped (A R 7-1-2-I)
b. False Start. Each of the following is a false start by Team A if it occurs prior to the snap after the ball is ready for play and all players are in scrimmage formation:
1. Any movement by one or more players that simulates action at the snap. This includes abruptly shifting a player or players that simulates the start of a play.
2. The snapper moving to another position
3. A restricted lineman (Rule 2-27-4) moving their hand(s) or making any quick movement [Exceptions: 1 It is not a false start if a Team A lineman immediately reacts when threatened by a Team B player in the neutral zone (Rule 7-1-5-a-2) (A R 7-1-3-V) 2 Rule 7-1-3-a-3]
4. An offensive player making any quick, jerky movement before the snap, including but not limited to:
(a) A lineman moving their foot, shoulder, arm, body or head in a quick, jerky motion in any direction
(b) The snapper shifting or moving the ball, moving their thumb or fingers, flexing their elbows, jerking their head, or dipping their shoulders or buttocks
(c) The quarterback making any quick, jerky movement that simulates the beginning of a play
(d) A back simulating receiving the ball by making any quick, jerky movement that simulates the beginning of a play
5. The offensive team never coming to a one-second stop prior to the snap after the ball is ready for play (A R 7-1-2-IV) This is an illegal shift that converts to a false start

Offense: Obvious issues in the run game. A lot of give and take here that we have to be able to take advantage of. SDSU and Ark both devoted 7-8 guys to the box to take away Ollie.
The answer is get Ollie outside the box, which we finally did in the 4th quarter and overtime. I was like, "Thank you Jesus!" He's a whole lot easier to stop when you can load the A gaps because you know that's where he's running.

The biggest weakness of Nardo’s schemes seem to be the flats. We keep leaving holes there. A receiver/back getting the ball there is wide open and miles of space to run. QB scrambles are similar.

If we lose edge containment or don’t have an outside LB/CB who can slide to that zone, we get roasted. I’m not a schemes guy, so I don’t know the solution. I may not even be communicating this right. I just know this is a gripe with 3-3-5 based schemes.
Tight ends on seam routes. We don't cover them.

The answer is get Ollie outside the box, which we finally did in the 4th quarter and overtime. I was like, "Thank you Jesus!" He's a whole lot easier to stop when you can load the A gaps because you know that's where he's running.
I agree. I rewatched the game today. There was a couple times we ran counter with the RPO and the OL had it blocked up nice, Bowman should’ve gave it to Ollie instead of pulling it to throw. I felt better after rewatching. If they clean some things up, they’ll be just fine.

Back