Ryan Walters says there should be no speration of church and state and Christianity should be the central focus of public education

Let’s send Ryan back to England and its state sponsored church!!! Apparently Ryan wants to be the leader of the “Christian “Taliban.

Kids are already free to pray at school. What Walters is surely talking about is that he doesn't like how teachers can't lead the kids in school prayer every day. I don't hear of teachers complaining that they can't. If parents want adults leading their kids in prayer, then they should send their kids to church and Sunday school. If they're lucky, the Ten Commandments will be posted in the Sunday school rooms.

Walters seems to be spending too much time going to out of state far right meetings that have little to nothing to do with education. I hope he is spending his own money on the trips.

Last edited:
That is not at all what that letter said. Walters deserves a lot of criticism, but making up reasons is silly. He simply announced a change to the timeline.
From what I've been told it is a completely new process.

In the past the District nominated teachers of the year for each district. Then those districts would select their Teacher of the year....then all the district teachers of the year (AS CHOSEN BY THEIR PEERS) would then be eligible to be put forward for Teacher of the year State Wide to the Dept of Education. Then the Dept of Education would select from the District TOY winners.

This process is now changed, districts will no longer pick teachers for teacher of the year from their peers and will no longer be selecting their own teacher of the year from their district.. Now, ANY teacher can be nominated and the nominations go directly to the Dept Of Education and THEY will select the District TOY for each district and then have them face off for TOY state wide.

The Dept of Education now picks and choses the candidates at the district level from submissions. The District and Teachers say in TOY was removed.

Last edited:
From what I've been told it is a completely new process.

In the past the District nominated teachers of the year for each district. Then those districts would select their Teacher of the year....then all the district teachers of the year (AS CHOSEN BY THEIR PEERS) would then be eligible to be put forward for Teacher of the year State Wide to the Dept of Education. Then the Dept of Education would select from the District TOY winners.

This process is now changed, districts will no longer pick teachers for teacher of the year from their peers and will no longer be selecting their own teacher of the year from their district.. Now, ANY teacher can be nominated and the nominations go directly to the Dept Of Education and THEY will select the District TOY for each district and then have them face off for TOY state wide.

The Dept of Education now picks and choses the candidates at the district level from submissions. The District and Teachers say in TOY was removed.
Who told you this? They are not only wrong, but the information in the tweet you provided shows why the are incorrect.
1) The person who you pasted their tweet has now deleted her tweet
2) The Ryan Walters letter is about changing the date timeline for TOY submission
3) School districts will continue to select their own TOY.
4) The application link included in the Ryan Walters letter you had in your tweet shows the applicant must be a local district TOY. (It was literally in the tweet you provided)
5) This is from the Oklahoma TOY website: "The local school district determines the local selection process and announces the local Teacher of the Year".
6)
This is from the 2024 Oklahoma TOY application: "At the local district level, one teacher of the year winner per district will be allowed to apply for this prestigious award. Each application must be signed by the school principal and district superintendent"

Last edited:
Who told you this? They are wrong.
1) The person who you pasted their tweet has now changed it
2) The Ryan Walters letter is about changing the date timeline for TOY submission
3) School districts will continue to select their own TOY.
4) The application link included in the Ryan Walters letter you had in your tweet shows the applicant must be a local district TOY. (It was literally in the tweet you provided)
5) This is from the Oklahoma TOY website: "The local school district determines the local selection process and announces the local Teacher of the Year".
6)
This is from the 2024 Oklahoma TOY application: "At the local district level, one teacher of the year winner per district will be allowed to apply for this prestigious award. Each application must be signed by the school principal and district superintendent"
Yeah, I think there had been some miscommunication or something surrounding this on Wend. It has changed and I can confirm they are getting two different messages on this topic right now.

I had a friend and a family member who are both teachers and BOTH reached out to me independently of each other Wend to complain about the new process and they both told me they were being removed from picking their OWN TOY candidates at a district level. I thought that sounded odd, but they both reached out independent.

So I went out to look around and found the Tweet from another person confirming what they had said.

I'm not sure what was put out in a communication about this process but it ruffled alot of feathers. I asked my BIL who is a teacher if his concerns were still valid on this topic and his response was

"Something is going on and we don't know what it is yet we are being told different things"

Something happened with the communication around this topic that sparked several teachers to think their voice would no longer be heard in the TOY selection process and they were not pleased and I have a teacher telling me they are getting conflicting information on it.

Yeah, I think there had been some miscommunication or something surrounding this on Wend. It has changed and I can confirm they are getting two different messages on this topic right now.

I had a friend and a family member who are both teachers and BOTH reached out to me independently of each other Wend to complain about the new process and they both told me they were being removed from picking their OWN TOY candidates at a district level. I thought that sounded odd, but they both reached out independent.

So I went out to look around and found the Tweet from another person confirming what they had said.

I'm not sure what was put out in a communication about this process but it ruffled alot of feathers. I asked my BIL who is a teacher if his concerns were still valid on this topic and his response was

"Something is going on and we don't know what it is yet we are being told different things"

Something happened with the communication around this topic that sparked several teachers to think their voice would no longer be heard in the TOY selection process and they were not pleased and I have a teacher telling me they are getting conflicting information on it.
I would argue it is not “miscommunication” it is “fake news” from extreme idiots like Ron Filipkowski. He, and other trolls like him, either purposely lie to rile-up their low-information followers or are just so dumb and lazy that they don’t even read the letter and link they included on their tweet. (It is humorous that your original linked tweet and Ron Filipkowski’s both include information will specifically details that local school districts continue to select their TOY).

To be clear, the only change was the date for submission and announcement of OK Teacher of Year. Districts continues to independently select their own Teacher of Year.

Signed,
A long-time Public School Foundation board member who serves on their local district TOY selection committee.

I would argue it is not “miscommunication” it is “fake news” from extreme idiots like Ron Filipkowski. He, and other trolls like him, either purposely lie to rile-up their low-information followers or are just so dumb and lazy that they don’t even read the letter and link they included on their tweet. (It is humorous that your original linked tweet and Ron Filipkowski’s both include information will specifically details that local school districts continue to select their TOY).

To be clear, the only change was the date for submission and announcement of OK Teacher of Year. Districts continues to independently select their own Teacher of Year.

Signed,
A long-time Public School Foundation board member who serves on their local district TOY selection committee.
So you would know...why did some teachers get riled up over this announcement then ?

So you would know...why did some teachers get riled up over this announcement then ?
My guess is one of a couple of factors:
1) Walters has said and done a lot of crazy things so easy to believe he would do something that looney.
2) There are a lot of people that believe anything they read —- especially if it aligns with their preconceived biases.
3) People are too lazy to take the time to read what was really included in a communication and instead are fine with a headline from someone else. (highly recommend the book “Smart Brevity”, from the founders of Axios, about more effective communication)
4) Extreme ideologues usually are the largest consumers of fake news and don’t care if the information they are digesting or transmitting is incorrect

Last edited:
Back