OT: Questions about living in OKC

In what area will you be living? Crest is a locally owned grocer with several locations in the metro. A couple of them are freakin' huge like the newer one up in Edmond or the slightly less new one down in Yukon.

My impression is that the north side is nicer and so I hope to find a place there. I want to rent for the first year.

My impression is that the north side is nicer and so I hope to find a place there. I want to rent for the first year.
Depends on what you're looking for. I can give you a rundown of the main areas in the metro if you have a lot of time to pour through all the info, haha.

Depends on what you're looking for. I can give you a rundown of the main areas in the metro if you have a lot of time to pour through all the info, haha.

It's nice to be close to stores, restaurants, parks, AND in a safe area. That's what I'm hoping to find.

It's nice to be close to stores, restaurants, parks, AND in a safe area. That's what I'm hoping to find.
Edmond, Yukon, Mustang, Choctaw, north OKC are all the areas that fit that criteria. There are some nice pockets in the urban core that are statistically "less safe", but offer great walkability, etc.... Some spots in Moore and south OKC could also work.

Edmond, Yukon, Mustang, Choctaw, north OKC are all the areas that fit that criteria. There are some nice pockets in the urban core that are statistically "less safe", but offer great walkability, etc.... Some spots in Moore and south OKC could also work.

Thank you!

Any recommendations for great chicken wings, pizza, tacos, fish, etc.?
Empire slice house is good for pizza but there are plenty of good places besides that one. Tacos San Pedro’s on Se44th and Penn for traditional Mexican or anybhole in the wall Mexican on Sw 29th. Tacoville on Sw 29th and Portland for a more mix of traditional Mexican and texmex faster food. If you want a really high end place NonSuch is a 6 or 10 course tasting menu. Thai House on Nw 23rd is my favorite Thai place. The crispy duck is great. Coney Island on SW 25th and Harvey or Hudson for hot dogs. There’s a ton of good Pho restaurants. I am fond of Wich Pho in Yukon or Edmond but Pho Lien Hoa on 23rd and Western or Pho Coung on 36th and Classen are considered two of the best. Bunch of good local places closer to down town. Tamashi on 8th and Hudson for Ramen that or Goro if you want one with vegan broth.

Empire is New York style pizza made by a New York pizza guy. Chicago style I don’t know. But empire is amazing. Any Mexican restaurant that isn’t in Texas is pretty dad gum good. Find a place that does what you like best that is not chain. Steak at cattlemen’s is a must try

BBQ in Ponca city. It used to be head country but the guy that worked for that family for the entire time owns it now. The restaurant is now called Danny t’s or something like that.

The old lady that had the recipe and her husband were long time family friends.

Any recommendations for great chicken wings, pizza, tacos, fish, etc.?
I've lived in a few different regions in the US, and found that OKC has really good food comparatively.
Pizza
Hall's Pizza Kitchen
Empire Slice House
Upper Crust
The Wedge
many others

Tacos - lots of "street taco" places around here, and also Central American food, not just Tex-Mex.
Taco Nation
1 million others if you can find them. Go to the places where they don't speak English, and its cash only.
honestly, I'm still searching for the best Mexican / Tex-Mex in this area. There are infinite options.

Fish - seafood can be more sparse around here, but not impossible to find. Most of the sit-down restaurants have salmon and other fish on the menu. Charleston's, Cheevers, etc....

Empire slice house is good for pizza but there are plenty of good places besides that one. Tacos San Pedro’s on Se44th and Penn for traditional Mexican or anybhole in the wall Mexican on Sw 29th. Tacoville on Sw 29th and Portland for a more mix of traditional Mexican and texmex faster food. If you want a really high end place NonSuch is a 6 or 10 course tasting menu. Thai House on Nw 23rd is my favorite Thai place. The crispy duck is great. Coney Island on SW 25th and Harvey or Hudson for hot dogs. There’s a ton of good Pho restaurants. I am fond of Wich Pho in Yukon or Edmond but Pho Lien Hoa on 23rd and Western or Pho Coung on 36th and Classen are considered two of the best. Bunch of good local places closer to down town. Tamashi on 8th and Hudson for Ramen that or Goro if you want one with vegan broth.

Wow thank you!

Oh I forgot to mention Brent’s Cajun in Edmond. Best Cajun food definitely in Oklahoma and maybe this side of the Mississippi.
Their Crawfish(or Crayfish if you prefer) bisque is fantastic. They have both roux based or cream based and both are good.

Tamashii is incredible. Definitely a spot that I crave on a chilly winter day!

How is traffic out there? Is it gridlock during the rush hours? It's awful here in central Florida although folks in places like Houston, LA, Philly, etc., might say theirs is worse. Lol!

How is traffic out there? Is it gridlock during the rush hours? It's awful here in central Florida although folks in places like Houston, LA, Philly, etc., might say theirs is worse. Lol!
It’s gotten much worse over the last 5 years or so but still not terrible other than a few areas. Where Hefner parkway and I-44 merge is bad. I-44 and I-40 is bad. And really I 40 and any major highway is bad during rush hour. I 40 west of I 44 can be bad randomly. Airport road and I 44 merger is bad and I 35 and I 240. Other than that not to bad. Some intersections are terrible at almost all times. MacArthur and Reno, Penn and Memorial are the two worst intersections I use the most.

Back