January 6...a day that will live in infamy

Jury awards Rudy Giuliani defamation victims $148 million in trial over Georgia election conspiracy theory​

• Jurors said Rudy Giuliani must pay Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss $148 million following a defamation trial.
  • Giuliani falsely claimed they rigged ballots in Georgia, which Donald Trump lost.
  • The ex-mayor declined to testify in the last minute, presenting no defense.
A federal jury agreed that Rudy Giuliani has wrought devastating damage to the lives of two Georgia election workers, deciding he owed them a whopping $148 million to help repair their lives and deter similar damage in the future.

It is the first jury verdict in a defamation trial over conspiracy theories that Donald Trump, rather than now-President Joe Biden, was the true winner of the 2020 presidential election.

The decision is yet another catastrophic legal setback for Giuliani, a man who was once heralded as one of the United States's most powerful and accomplished lawyers.

An earlier, much larger lawsuit from Dominion Voting Systems against Fox News went through the jury selection process but settled at the eleventh hour, with the right-wing media network agreeing to pay $787.5 million. Several other cases — including ones against farther-right media organizations One America News and Newsmax — have also settled, while others are hurtling toward their own trials.

But it is the trial against Giuliani, held in federal court in Washington, D.C., that perhaps best exemplifies both the personal harms of election conspiracy theories and just how starkly the theories cut against reality.

"This case is unprecedented," plaintiff lawyer Michael Gottlieb said in his closing argument. "Because the lies in this case became part of a sustained campaign — the purpose of which was to overturn the election — which had the collateral effect of these lies that rocketed around the world."

In interviews and on his social media accounts, Giuliani, then a personal attorney for Trump, pushed the false claim that Ruby Freeman and Wandrea "Shaye" Moss had produced "suitcases" full of fake ballots from under a table and included them in the vote count while working as election employees in Atlanta.

He cited a grainy, edited clip of security footage that was posted online by Trump's campaign and that, in reality, did not show any such thing.

Giuliani falsely claimed — even after Georgia election officials said the allegations were false — that the video showed Freeman and Moss pulling "illegal" ballots while Republican election observers weren't looking, that they illegally counted some ballots multiple times, and that they "passing around USB ports as if they're vials of heroin or cocaine."

It was all evidence, Giuliani said, that the 2020 election results were wrong and that Trump, not Joe Biden, was the real winner.

A statewide audit of the election results, in fact, concluded that Biden did indeed win the state's electoral college votes. And an investigation from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Georgia's election board found the claims against Freeman and Moss, who counted ballots in the city's State Farm Arena, "have no merit."

One America News, the far-right network where Giuliani made some of his false remarks, and whose own employees made similar false claims, was initially included as a co-defendant in the lawsuit. The company settled with Freeman and Moss in 2022 and issued a statement admitting the two "did not engage in ballot fraud."

In the trial, Freeman and Moss, her daughter, both testified about the damage Giuliani's falsehoods have wrought on their lives. Both received an onslaught of violently racist and sexist threats from Trump supporters against them and their families. They have spent the past few years looking over their shoulders. On one occasion, Freeman testified, Trump supporters banged on her door as she received a barrage of death threats.

"I was terrorized. I was scared. I was scared people were coming to kill me," Freeman told jurors. "They had my address. They had my phone number, my name."

Jury awards Rudy Giuliani defamation victims $148 million in trial over Georgia election conspiracy theory​

• Jurors said Rudy Giuliani must pay Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss $148 million following a defamation trial.
  • Giuliani falsely claimed they rigged ballots in Georgia, which Donald Trump lost.
  • The ex-mayor declined to testify in the last minute, presenting no defense.
A federal jury agreed that Rudy Giuliani has wrought devastating damage to the lives of two Georgia election workers, deciding he owed them a whopping $148 million to help repair their lives and deter similar damage in the future.

It is the first jury verdict in a defamation trial over conspiracy theories that Donald Trump, rather than now-President Joe Biden, was the true winner of the 2020 presidential election.

The decision is yet another catastrophic legal setback for Giuliani, a man who was once heralded as one of the United States's most powerful and accomplished lawyers.

An earlier, much larger lawsuit from Dominion Voting Systems against Fox News went through the jury selection process but settled at the eleventh hour, with the right-wing media network agreeing to pay $787.5 million. Several other cases — including ones against farther-right media organizations One America News and Newsmax — have also settled, while others are hurtling toward their own trials.

But it is the trial against Giuliani, held in federal court in Washington, D.C., that perhaps best exemplifies both the personal harms of election conspiracy theories and just how starkly the theories cut against reality.

"This case is unprecedented," plaintiff lawyer Michael Gottlieb said in his closing argument. "Because the lies in this case became part of a sustained campaign — the purpose of which was to overturn the election — which had the collateral effect of these lies that rocketed around the world."

In interviews and on his social media accounts, Giuliani, then a personal attorney for Trump, pushed the false claim that Ruby Freeman and Wandrea "Shaye" Moss had produced "suitcases" full of fake ballots from under a table and included them in the vote count while working as election employees in Atlanta.

He cited a grainy, edited clip of security footage that was posted online by Trump's campaign and that, in reality, did not show any such thing.

Giuliani falsely claimed — even after Georgia election officials said the allegations were false — that the video showed Freeman and Moss pulling "illegal" ballots while Republican election observers weren't looking, that they illegally counted some ballots multiple times, and that they "passing around USB ports as if they're vials of heroin or cocaine."

It was all evidence, Giuliani said, that the 2020 election results were wrong and that Trump, not Joe Biden, was the real winner.

A statewide audit of the election results, in fact, concluded that Biden did indeed win the state's electoral college votes. And an investigation from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Georgia's election board found the claims against Freeman and Moss, who counted ballots in the city's State Farm Arena, "have no merit."

One America News, the far-right network where Giuliani made some of his false remarks, and whose own employees made similar false claims, was initially included as a co-defendant in the lawsuit. The company settled with Freeman and Moss in 2022 and issued a statement admitting the two "did not engage in ballot fraud."

In the trial, Freeman and Moss, her daughter, both testified about the damage Giuliani's falsehoods have wrought on their lives. Both received an onslaught of violently racist and sexist threats from Trump supporters against them and their families. They have spent the past few years looking over their shoulders. On one occasion, Freeman testified, Trump supporters banged on her door as she received a barrage of death threats.

"I was terrorized. I was scared. I was scared people were coming to kill me," Freeman told jurors. "They had my address. They had my phone number, my name."
He just can't stop

1000000820.png

I’m pretty sure that we, as a country are becoming too stupid for self governance. I’m afraid the concept of the movie “ Idiocracy” is too true to be funny these days. Maybe people do want to live in an autocracy and just do as you’re told. Apparently it’s just too hard to be an informed constituency. Probably way too hard to admit you’ve been duped, and were wrong to have backed a would be criminal. I am thankful that our parents did not live to see January 6th. At least the radicals waited until most of the soldiers who fought against fascism have died, before trying to reintroduce it. Thanks, it literally would have killed them. I hope our country can turn away from our current destruction. But until WE can agree on what truth and facts are and turn away from lies and conspiracies IMO we’re in big trouble.
Y’all need to develop a taste for Brawndo now, before it’s required drinking.

Last edited:

Lt Gov of GA, who also was a fake elector, dodges criminal charges while others face felonies​

A prominent Georgia Republican, who was one of 16 acting as fake electors for Donald Trump across the state in an effort to overturn the 2020 election, has yet to face any accountability, The New York Times reports.

Lieutenant Governor Burt Jones — who, according to the Times, "may be serious about running for governor in 2026" — was a state senator at the time of the election, advocating "for a special session of the state legislature to overturn" Trump's Georgia loss, "and signed on to a failed lawsuit seeking to do the same."

Additionally, the report notes The Atlanta Journal-Constitution previously noted, "Jones flew to Washington on Jan. 5, 2021, to convince Vice President Mike Pence to delay certifying the Electoral College votes, although Mr. Jones told the news outlet that he ultimately did not."

Three of the 16 fake elector in Georgia, the Times reports, have been "charged with felonies, including violating the state racketeering law," but Jones still has faced no consequences for his actions.

The Times reports in 2022, a judge blocked Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis "from developing a case against Mr. Jones, citing a conflict of interest because she had headlined a fund-raiser for a Democratic who became his rival in the lieutenant governor’s race," which leaves "a state agency called the Prosecuting Attorneys’ Council of Georgia to find a special prosecutor to investigate Mr. Jones."

Republican and ex-District Attorney Peter J. Skandalakis, who leads the agency, told the newspaper this week "that he would unilaterally choose the prosecutor for the Jones case," but has "already ruled out some district attorneys, either because their staffs were too small to take on the extra work or because choosing them might seem overly partisan."

According to the Times, "This week, the district attorney in Augusta, Ga., became the first to publicly declare an interest in the job. Jared T. Williams, a Democrat, said in an interview on Tuesday that he was willing to investigate Mr. Jones’s actions after the 2020 election 'if called upon.'"

Also this week, Democratic District Attorney Tasha M. Mosley of Clayton County told the newspaper "Skandalakis had recently asked if she would be interested in taking the case. Ms. Mosley said she had refused because her office lacked sufficient resources."

She emphasized, I cannot take any more prosecutors off the murder cases we have here. So it would require me to hire outside counsel to handle that. And I don’t have the money."

NEW:

Dramatic new Jan. 6 video shows two GOP representatives speaking with Capitol rioters through the broken windows of the House chamber doors as officers point weapons at the mob attempting to breach the floor.

This evidence was released in response to a request by @nbcnews.

Michigan AG now in possession of direct emails from Trump campaign that shows the Trump campaign was the one running, planning and implementing the Fake electors scheme in Michigan

Trump and Lindsey Graham both CITED this as proof of VOTER FRAUD in PA....and it was all FALSE

James O'Keefe and Project Veritas settle suit over bogus voter fraud claims cited by Trump campaign​

Conservative provocateur James O'Keefe and his former organization Project Veritas have settled a lawsuit filed by a Pennsylvania postmaster after the group spread a Postal Service worker's false claims of voter fraud during the 2020 presidential election.

A lawyer who represented Robert Weisenbach, the Erie postmaster who filed the lawsuit in state court, confirmed that the suit had been settled on undisclosed terms.

“The only comment I’m allowed to make about it is that the case was filed, was litigated, and settled to the satisfaction of the parties,” attorney David Houck told NBC News.

O'Keefe, who was removed as head of Project Veritas in February 2023, issued a brief statement Monday in which he said he was "aware of no evidence or other allegation that election fraud occurred in the Erie Post Office during the 2020 Presidential Election.”

Protect Democracy, a self-described anti-authoritarian group that was involved in the suit on Weisenbach's side, said in a statement in that the case “was resolved in a manner acceptable to all parties.”

Project Veritas did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday.

O'Keefe and Project Veritas had boosted the claims of Richard Hopkins, a Trump supporter who worked as a mail carrier at the time and claimed that he'd heard Weisenbach make statements about illegally backdating mail-in ballots. Hopkins retracted his statement after it was cited by Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., in a 2020 letter to the Justice Department.

In a statement published by O'Keefe and Project Veritas on Monday, Hopkins said that he "only heard a fragment" of a conversation between Weisenbach and another supervisor, but had "reached the conclusion that the conversation was related to nefarious behavior." Hopkins now says he was wrong.

“As a USPS mail carrier at the time, I was on heightened guard considering many allegations of ‘widespread fraud’ plaguing the 2020 Presidential Election,” Hopkins said in the statement. “As I have now learned, I was wrong. Mr. Weisenbach was not involved in any inappropriate behavior concerning the 2020 Presidential Election. The [United States Postal Service Office of the Inspector General] investigated and found that neither Mr. Weisenbach nor any other USPS employee in Erie, Pennsylvania engaged in election fraud or any other wrongdoing related to mail-in ballots."

"I apologize to Mr. Weisenbach, his family, the employees of the Erie Post Office, and anyone that has been negatively impacted by my report," Hopkins continued. "I implore everyone reading this statement to leave the Weisenbach family alone and allow them to return to their normal, peaceful, lives.”

Trump, in a tweet a week after the election, called Hopkins a “brave patriot,” and his claims were cited by the Trump campaign in litigation.

O’Keefe wrote Monday in a statement on X that he had "reported that election fraud had occurred in Erie, Pennsylvania during the 2020 Presidential Election," saying the story "was based on Richard Hopkins’ claim that he had overheard Robert Weisenbach, the Erie Postmaster, direct another USPS supervisor to illegally backdate mail-in ballots."

"Mr. Hopkins has since come to learn that he was wrong — neither Mr. Weisenbach nor any other USPS employee in Erie, Pennsylvania engaged in election fraud or any other wrongdoing related to mail-in ballots," O'Keefe said.

Donald Trump's Lawyer Tells SCOTUS Jan. 6 Was a 'Criminal, Shameful' Riot, not an insurrection​

Former President Donald Trump's attorney, Jonathan Mitchell, admitted that January 6 was a "shameful, criminal" riot when questioned by Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson Thursday morning.

The Colorado Supreme Court ruled last year that Trump's alleged role in the 2021 riot at the U.S. Capitol—when a group of his supporters violently protested the 2020 election results in an alleged effort to block President Joe Biden's Electoral College victory—constituted a violation of Section 3 of the 14th Amendment and that he should therefore not appear on the state's Republican primary ballot.

On Thursday, the United States Supreme Court heard arguments into this case, with Mitchell arguing Colorado does not have the authority to remove Trump from the ballot. During the questioning, Jackson pressed Mitchell about whether January 6 qualified as an insurrection.

"This was a riot. It was not an insurrection. The events were shameful, criminal, violent all of those things but did not qualify as an insurrection as that term is used in Section 3," Mitchell responded.

Donald Trump's Lawyer Tells SCOTUS Jan. 6 Was a 'Criminal, Shameful' Riot, not an insurrection​

Former President Donald Trump's attorney, Jonathan Mitchell, admitted that January 6 was a "shameful, criminal" riot when questioned by Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson Thursday morning.

The Colorado Supreme Court ruled last year that Trump's alleged role in the 2021 riot at the U.S. Capitol—when a group of his supporters violently protested the 2020 election results in an alleged effort to block President Joe Biden's Electoral College victory—constituted a violation of Section 3 of the 14th Amendment and that he should therefore not appear on the state's Republican primary ballot.

On Thursday, the United States Supreme Court heard arguments into this case, with Mitchell arguing Colorado does not have the authority to remove Trump from the ballot. During the questioning, Jackson pressed Mitchell about whether January 6 qualified as an insurrection.

"This was a riot. It was not an insurrection. The events were shameful, criminal, violent all of those things but did not qualify as an insurrection as that term is used in Section 3," Mitchell responded.

Honestly, I have to agree here. I never saw the Capitol riot as anything other than a bunch of internet dumbass tough guys on a Quixotic quest. The Trump campaign's interference in Georgia and Arizona or wherever is another thing.

Honestly, I have to agree here. I never saw the Capitol riot as anything other than a bunch of internet dumbass tough guys on a Quixotic quest. The Trump campaign's interference in Georgia and Arizona or wherever is another thing.
Webster’s:

“an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government”

That “Quixotic quest” (great adjective btw…kudos) was to keep Congress and VP Pence from exercising their civil authority by certifying the results of the Electoral College and ensuring a peaceful transfer of authority to the duly elected President-elect.

That meets the dictionary definition of insurrection.

Furthermore, several defendants have been convicted under the Insurrection Act.

18 USC 2383:

Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

The fact that the insurrection was doomed to fail and was Quixotic does change the fact that it was an insurrection.

They also submitted fake electors in multiple swing states in order to keep Biden out of office. And per White House call logs that day Steve Bannon was one of the people Trump was in contact the morning of Jan 6. Steve Bannon was in contact with the Proud Boys. There's also the small fact that everyone was there that day at Trump's direction. And they marched to the Capitol at Trump's direction. After having been fed month's worth of lies about their election and country being stolen from them. It was all part of the same scheme, and that scheme was to stop the peaceful transfer of power/keep the fairly elected opposition party out of office/attempt a coup/end Democracy/however you want to phrase it.

Back