January 6...a day that will live in infamy

Honestly, I have to agree here. I never saw the Capitol riot as anything other than a bunch of internet dumbass tough guys on a Quixotic quest. The Trump campaign's interference in Georgia and Arizona or wherever is another thing.

Webster’s:

“an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government”

That “Quixotic quest” (great adjective btw…kudos) was to keep Congress and VP Pence from exercising their civil authority by certifying the results of the Electoral College and ensuring a peaceful transfer of authority to the duly elected President-elect.

That meets the dictionary definition of insurrection.

Furthermore, several defendants have been convicted under the Insurrection Act.

18 USC 2383:

Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

The fact that the insurrection was doomed to fail and was Quixotic does change the fact that it was an insurrection.

There are many more legal issues involved in whether or not Trump can being effectively and properly be barred by States from appearing on the ballot other than whether or not January 6th was an insurrection or Trump incited January 6th.

Posting what I did about whether or not January 6th was an insurrection (it clearly was IMO) isn't me arguing or even commenting on whether Trump can legally or should be removed from ballot access.

That is a very complicated and nuanced issue of 1st impression before the Supreme Court right now. I listened to oral arguments before SCOTUS. It was very interesting. It will also be very interesting to read the SCOTUS's opinion.

This is a message board and I know everyone is "supposed" to have and promote a strong opinion on all topics, however, I don't really have one on the barring of Trump from ballots by the states except that it is really complicated and nuanced and history in action.

We're living in "interesting times" right now. Personally, I wish everything around me was more sedate and calm, but it is what it is.

There are many more legal issues involved in whether or not Trump can being effectively and properly be barred by States from appearing on the ballot other than whether or not January 6th was an insurrection or Trump incited January 6th.

Posting what I did about whether or not January 6th was an insurrection (it clearly was IMO) isn't me arguing or even commenting on whether Trump can legally or should be removed from ballot access.

That is a very complicated and nuanced issue of 1st impression before the Supreme Court right now. I listened to oral arguments before SCOTUS. It was very interesting. It will also be very interesting to read the SCOTUS's opinion.

This is a message board and I know everyone is "supposed" to have and promote a strong opinion on all topics, however, I don't really have one on the barring of Trump from ballots by the states except that it is really complicated and nuanced and history in action.

We're living in "interesting times" right now. Personally, I wish everything around me was more sedate and calm, but it is what it is.
A nuanced, measured post on the political board?

Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I highly recommend r/law for any redditors on here. Very interesting legal perspectives on all the Trump court cases.

Back