Interview with Coach Gundy

Osu's problem is that gundy has for the longest time been the best they can do as a coach. so losing him would be to lose what little grip they have on a chase for success. But if he continues down this path then he's no better than a lot of other options that exist. There is a lot of potential for osu to be a bigger player in the sport than they are but gundy seems content with being mid. his mid level effort on the recruiting trail and on the sideline, to his flippant demeanor after an incredibly embarrassing start to the season.

maybe a new coach with a new energy would be good for them. someone who loves to recruit, who plays the NIL & transfer portal game, and someone the donors want to get behind with their $. But maybe a big name isnt in the cards.

There are some decent options out there to consider. elko has been doing a great job at duke. I bet Leipold would be good too and who knows, maybe even chris klieman would do good things too.

Osu's problem is that gundy has for the longest time been the best they can do as a coach. so losing him would be to lose what little grip they have on a chase for success. But if he continues down this path then he's no better than a lot of other options that exist. There is a lot of potential for osu to be a bigger player in the sport than they are but gundy seems content with being mid. his mid level effort on the recruiting trail and on the sideline, to his flippant demeanor after an incredibly embarrassing start to the season.

maybe a new coach with a new energy would be good for them. someone who loves to recruit, who plays the NIL & transfer portal game, and someone the donors want to get behind with their $. But maybe a big name isnt in the cards.

There are some decent options out there to consider. elko has been doing a great job at duke. I bet Leipold would be good too and who knows, maybe even chris klieman would do good things too.
I don't think we could get Leipold - KU is already paying him $5 million a year. I doubt Kileman either, I don't see any in-conference movement. I think Elko is possible, I think Jonathan Smith, Jake Dickert, Jeff Traylor, Brian Hartline, Todd Monken, you have to call Dave Clawson, etc. Honestly, I have to wonder if you don't at least interview Jim Knowles.

You have to decide not to be a poverty program. That said, Gundy isn't going anywhere this season.

I'm just throwing it out there....Would Monken take a head coaching job? I couldn't see what he's making now w/ Baltimore I think something like $4MM a yr. He was making $2MM at UGA. I know he's a bit older but if he brought in a young up and comer OC w/ him, maybe he could take the job w/ the idea that he could turn it over in 5 yrs. I don't know, just throwing out ideas. Maybe he'd rather have an NFL head coaching job instead of coming back to college.

I'm just throwing it out there....Would Monken take a head coaching job? I couldn't see what he's making now w/ Baltimore I think something like $4MM a yr. He was making $2MM at UGA. I know he's a bit older but if he brought in a young up and comer OC w/ him, maybe he could take the job w/ the idea that he could turn it over in 5 yrs. I don't know, just throwing out ideas. Maybe he'd rather have an NFL head coaching job instead of coming back to college.
Pretty sure Monken is not interested in college. He took the Georgia job because he didn't have to recruit and knew it would get him back to the league. He'll be nfl from here on.

Plus, he and Gundy are best buds. No way he follows him.

I don't think we could get Leipold - KU is already paying him $5 million a year. I doubt Kileman either, I don't see any in-conference movement. I think Elko is possible, I think Jonathan Smith, Jake Dickert, Jeff Traylor, Brian Hartline, Todd Monken, you have to call Dave Clawson, etc. Honestly, I have to wonder if you don't at least interview Jim Knowles.

You have to decide not to be a poverty program. That said, Gundy isn't going anywhere this season.

Jamey Chadwell (current HC at Liberty, formerly at Coastal Carolina) is another up and coming coach who would bring energy and excitement to the program. He runs an innovative spread-option attack and his teams are very physical.

I don't think he's been the best we could have. We've only been as good as our OC/DC coordinators, not HC.

It's cute that:
  1. People think Gundy is going to get fired.
  2. If #1 did happen, people think hat OSU would hire a big name coach. I believe the last time that happened was in the early 90's with Eddie Sutton & John Smith

Hear me out...

As others have noted, there's no way we could afford to bring in a top candidate nationally. Not gonna happen. Best bang for buck would be to promote a top HS coach in OK or TX.

They should already be familiar with the region. They will be familiar with that age range. They will be familiar with navigating recruiting, NIL, and transfer policies. Their schemes are advanced enough to translate directly to college (especially when comparing to our pathetic offensive schemes). Stillwater HS runs a more complex offense than we do. As do many high schools.

I think it would be our best chance to find a good coach for the least amount of money.

It's cute that:
  2. If #1 did happen, people think hat OSU would hire a big name coach. I believe the last time that happened was in the early 90's with Eddie Sutton & John Smith
I don't think any of us are under any illusions in that regard--I know I'm not, just wishful thinking/hoping out loud. Gundy's here until he decides not to be, which is too bad for the program, 'cause at this point he's presiding over the its demise.

It's cute that:
Yep. It only happens if Gundy wants it to happen. It's not just the money. He's revered in the Athletic Department by the many various Assistant ADs and Assistant to the Assistant ADs, etc etc etc.

Hear me out...

As others have noted, there's no way we could afford to bring in a top candidate nationally. Not gonna happen. Best bang for buck would be to promote a top HS coach in OK or TX.

They should already be familiar with the region. They will be familiar with that age range. They will be familiar with navigating recruiting, NIL, and transfer policies. Their schemes are advanced enough to translate directly to college (especially when comparing to our pathetic offensive schemes). Stillwater HS runs a more complex offense than we do. As do many high schools.

I think it would be our best chance to find a good coach for the least amount of money.

No offense, but you think the best we could do would be to hire a HS coach? This is big-time football.

Hear me out...

High school? Hiring a winning P5 head coach may be a stretch, but a hot coordinator or an up-and-coming G5 or FCS coach isn't.

High school? Hiring a winning P5 head coach may be a stretch, but a hot coordinator or an up-and-coming G5 or FCS coach isn't.
With our great facilities, close location to recruiting in Texas, and awesome fan base, we could certainly get a terrific coordinator from a P5 school.

No offense, but you think the best we could do would be to hire a HS coach? This is big-time football.
I didn't say its "the best we could do". I said it would be the best bang for buck given the financial position we'll (surely) be in post-Gundy. Also, there's nothing magically better about a G5 or FCS assistant that will necessarily yield superior results to a great HS coach.

Agreed. I think it would be a very attractive job.

Of course it would be. Any B12 school would be a great step for any coach! ( Not you Houston, WV you take a lap too!). No we’re never going to get anyone who’s ever won their P5 conference, but I’d bet we’d be surprised who would send out feelers if the job were open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't say its "the best we could do". I said it would be the best bang for buck given the financial position we'll (surely) be in post-Gundy. Also, there's nothing magically better about a G5 or FCS assistant that will necessarily yield superior results to a great HS coach.
How many bucks are we talking? Let's be honest, we're not getting rid of Gundy any time soon, but for 4 or 5 million we could bring in someone like the aforementioned Jamey Chadwell, who's got a great track record as a G5 HC, and who would likely stay here for several years and rebuild the program. I think we've got to get out of the loser mentality that we can only hire an assistant. This school/program have a lot to offer. For what we're paying Gundy, this could be a destination job for the right candidate.

Back