2024 Portal Season

The Oklahoman article you linked states this:

"One of four walk-ons to join the program to this point, Smith will be a sophomore next season, stepping into a veteran-heavy Cowboy roster thanks to the depth of older additions Lutz made through the transfer portal."

Wouldn't the 4 walk-ons be Caron, Cole, Bobik, and Smith? I haven't seen anything reporting Caron as a scholarship player except your post.

Looks like you’re right about Caron. I can’t find where I heard he’d be on scholarship. Pistols Firing identified him as a walk on three weeks ago. I agree with others that it’s been frustrating not really knowing what’s going on.

Looks like you’re right about Caron. I can’t find where I heard he’d be on scholarship. Pistols Firing identified him as a walk on three weeks ago. I agree with others that it’s been frustrating not really knowing what’s going on.
Just relieved to confirm we still have 2 scholarships left for posts! I think Caron is a decent prospect and may be able to earn some minutes on the floor but I would think it would be a pretty significant reach to bring in a player from that level on scholarship at any high major school. He had decent statistics but I would think that we would aim higher with our remaining scholarships.

Pistols Firing Blog reporting that Kris Parker will be visiting both OSU and OU in the near future.

6'9" guard (who will be a freshman) redshirted in his first year at Alabama would bring some much needed height for OSU.

247 reports 14 offers out if HS including Florida, Illinois, and Villanova.

Last edited:
Great breakdown of our current transfer class by 247:

Khalil Brantley, from La Salle

Expected role
: Starting guard

Brantley has not been an efficient scorer yet through three years of college basketball, but his decision-making has gotten better and better. Even with a jump up to the high-major ranks, it wouldn't be stunning if Brantley puts it all together. Brantley is comfortable operating as a top-two option on the team, but he's a good cutter and never stops moving which makes him a tough cover. Brantley should play on and off the ball for Oklahoma State. He's a solid, but not spectacular, shooter from downtown and the midrange. But the 6-foot-1 guard has struggled to finish at the rim throughout his career and his defensive tape has some issues on it. Brantley got drilled on screens way too easily. His attention to detail defensively has to be on point if he wants to survive in the Big 12.

Arturo Dean, from FIU

Expected role
: Backcourt rotation, potential starter

Steve Lutz has relied on heating you up defensively and playing with a ton of tempo. That's exactly what Dean did at FIU. He had the top steal percentage in all of college basketball. Dean will get right up in your shirt and move his feet. But he's only 5-foot-11 and 163 pounds which could be exploited by some smart offenses if you can get past that first wave of hounding ball-pressure. Dean's lack of size and mediocre jumper make him a tough sell in the Big 12, so he's probably best-suited coming off the bench and bringing high energy.

Brandon Newman, from Western Kentucky

Expected role
: Potential starting guard

Newman is a career 77% free throw shooter, so he's clearly a good shooter. But his 3-point stroke has been hit-or-miss. He drilled 3s as a freshman at Purdue but he hasn't shot over 33% from downtown in each of the past three seasons. Newman does know the system and can provide depth on the wing as a rock-solid, 3-and-D complementary piece. But he's not very comfortable creating offense for himself.

Marchelus Avery, from UCF

Expected role
: Potential starting forward

Avery shot just a smidge under 40% on his catch-and-shoot 3-pointers last year at UCF, and he's clearly a high-major athlete. Avery looks to have the inside track to start at the 4. He's not a big play-creator. Avery relies on others to create advantages for his shots, but he should space the floor, attack long closeouts and give Lutz's defense some size at 6-foot-7 and 210 pounds. He was helpful on the glass last year at UCF, but he fell out of favor in Big 12 play and nearly was out of the rotation for good. The smaller usage rate, the better.

Abou Ousmane, from Xavier

Expected role
: Starting center

Xavier's defense was a complete trainwreck whenever Ousmane was not on the floor. Xavier's defense worsened by over 11 points per 100 possessions without Ousmane, per hoop-explorer and opponents shot just 52% at the rim against Sean Miller's club when Ousmane was on the floor. His defense will keep him relevant for an Oklahoma State club that's pretty thin in the frontcourt. Oklahoma State's offense will likely heavily rely on its perimeter players, but Ousmane can give the Pokes some semblance of a low-post threat.

Davonte Davis, from Arkansas

Expected role

The best version of Davis is a downright killer who wants to slash to the rim, hit 3-pointers and play with fire and tenacity. The worst version of Davis is a player who can't get the ball out of his hands fast enough. Oklahoma State will provide a much-needed change of scenery for the up-and-down, 6-foot-4 guard. Lutz should be able to simplify things for Davis. He can be a hellacious on-ball defender. Do more of that. He can attack off the bounce. Do more of that. Playing with tempo should keep Davis from bogging down against set halfcourt defenses. If Oklahoma State can unlock Good Devo Davis, it is in business. But it's been awhile since we've seen that dude.

Robert Jennings, from Texas Tech

Expected role
: Frontcourt rotation, potential starter

Jennings had to play a lot of minutes as a small-ball 5 for Texas Tech due to some injuries. But the 6-foot-7, 225-pound forward is probably closer to a 4. It might be hard to put Ousmane and Jennings on the floor together because both guys aren't real floor-spacers yet, but Jennings has a path to a significant role for Oklahoma State in his first year with the program. He's a good offensive rebounder who showed he can hang at the Big 12 level because he plays hard and has those physical tools. Adding skill is going to be so key to unlocking his game.

Pat Suemnick, from West Virginia

Expected role

When Jesse Edwards was out, Suemnick stepped into a big role for West Virginia last year. He had a 20-point, six-rebound showing against Kansas' intimidating frontline. He had 16 and 6 against Texas. He's a capable play-finisher as a roller. He has nice touch in the middle of the paint and should be a good release valve for Oklahoma State's guards. The 6-foot-8, 235-pound forward will be in the mix for double-digit minutes every night and could end up starting at the 4.

Great breakdown of our current transfer class by 247:

Khalil Brantley, from La Salle

Expected role

Brantley has not been an efficient scorer yet through three years of college basketball, but his decision-making has gotten better and better. Even with a jump up to the high-major ranks, it wouldn't be stunning if Brantley puts it all together. Brantley is comfortable operating as a top-two option on the team, but he's a good cutter and never stops moving which makes him a tough cover. Brantley should play on and off the ball for Oklahoma State. He's a solid, but not spectacular, shooter from downtown and the midrange. But the 6-foot-1 guard has struggled to finish at the rim throughout his career and his defensive tape has some issues on it. Brantley got drilled on screens way too easily. His attention to detail defensively has to be on point if he wants to survive in the Big 12.

Arturo Dean, from FIU

Expected role
: Backcourt rotation, potential starter

Steve Lutz has relied on heating you up defensively and playing with a ton of tempo. That's exactly what Dean did at FIU. He had the top steal percentage in all of college basketball. Dean will get right up in your shirt and move his feet. But he's only 5-foot-11 and 163 pounds which could be exploited by some smart offenses if you can get past that first wave of hounding ball-pressure. Dean's lack of size and mediocre jumper make him a tough sell in the Big 12, so he's probably best-suited coming off the bench and bringing high energy.

Brandon Newman, from Western Kentucky

Expected role
: Potential starting guard

Newman is a career 77% free throw shooter, so he's clearly a good shooter. But his 3-point stroke has been hit-or-miss. He drilled 3s as a freshman at Purdue but he hasn't shot over 33% from downtown in each of the past three seasons. Newman does know the system and can provide depth on the wing as a rock-solid, 3-and-D complementary piece. But he's not very comfortable creating offense for himself.

Marchelus Avery, from UCF

Expected role
: Potential starting forward

Avery shot just a smidge under 40% on his catch-and-shoot 3-pointers last year at UCF, and he's clearly a high-major athlete. Avery looks to have the inside track to start at the 4. He's not a big play-creator. Avery relies on others to create advantages for his shots, but he should space the floor, attack long closeouts and give Lutz's defense some size at 6-foot-7 and 210 pounds. He was helpful on the glass last year at UCF, but he fell out of favor in Big 12 play and nearly was out of the rotation for good. The smaller usage rate, the better.

Abou Ousmane, from Xavier

Expected role
: Starting center

Xavier's defense was a complete trainwreck whenever Ousmane was not on the floor. Xavier's defense worsened by over 11 points per 100 possessions without Ousmane, per hoop-explorer and opponents shot just 52% at the rim against Sean Miller's club when Ousmane was on the floor. His defense will keep him relevant for an Oklahoma State club that's pretty thin in the frontcourt. Oklahoma State's offense will likely heavily rely on its perimeter players, but Ousmane can give the Pokes some semblance of a low-post threat.

Davonte Davis, from Arkansas

Expected role

The best version of Davis is a downright killer who wants to slash to the rim, hit 3-pointers and play with fire and tenacity. The worst version of Davis is a player who can't get the ball out of his hands fast enough. Oklahoma State will provide a much-needed change of scenery for the up-and-down, 6-foot-4 guard. Lutz should be able to simplify things for Davis. He can be a hellacious on-ball defender. Do more of that. He can attack off the bounce. Do more of that. Playing with tempo should keep Davis from bogging down against set halfcourt defenses. If Oklahoma State can unlock Good Devo Davis, it is in business. But it's been awhile since we've seen that dude.

Robert Jennings, from Texas Tech

Expected role

Jennings had to play a lot of minutes as a small-ball 5 for Texas Tech due to some injuries. But the 6-foot-7, 225-pound forward is probably closer to a 4. It might be hard to put Ousmane and Jennings on the floor together because both guys aren't real floor-spacers yet, but Jennings has a path to a significant role for Oklahoma State in his first year with the program. He's a good offensive rebounder who showed he can hang at the Big 12 level because he plays hard and has those physical tools. Adding skill is going to be so key to unlocking his game.

Pat Suemnick, from West Virginia

Expected role

When Jesse Edwards was out, Suemnick stepped into a big role for West Virginia last year. He had a 20-point, six-rebound showing against Kansas' intimidating frontline. He had 16 and 6 against Texas. He's a capable play-finisher as a roller. He has nice touch in the middle of the paint and should be a good release valve for Oklahoma State's guards. The 6-foot-8, 235-pound forward will be in the mix for double-digit minutes every night and could end up starting at the 4.

Great read, thank you for sharing!

After reading that analysis a few times, there are some very encouraging takeaways. First, this team should be very skilled and stout defensively. I can't wait to see the intensity that they bring on that end of the floor. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team that is in the top quarter of the Big 12 in most per possession defensive stats. Second, I have had some concerns about the offensive ability of this team. The writer repeatedly discussed how the tempo of Lutz's teams should help compensate for that and I believe that should be the case. I am really excited about this group and I think Lutz has done an excellent job bringing in guys to play to the style that he desires to coach to. Boynton brought in a lot of raw talent, but it never seemed to be pointed in any particular direction. It's pretty easy to see what Lutz is wanting to do. There should be a plainly visible on court identity.

Last edited:
Pistols Firing Blog reporting that Kris Parker will be visiting both OSU and OU in the near future.

6'9" guard (who will be a freshman) redshirted in his first year at Alabama would bring some much needed height for OSU.

247 reports 14 offers out if HS including Florida, Illinois, and Villanova.

If anyone is wondering why Parker redshirted his first year at Alabama, it wasn't because he was behind developmentally and stuffed down on the depth chart. He suffered an eye injury before the season that led to his eventual redshirt. On February 23, while eventual Final 4 Alabama was 19-7, coach Nate Oats made the following comments:

"He's coming along. He can step into a game and help us right now, though. He's put on a lot of weight. He's gotten a lot better. He's a much better defender. He's using his athleticism. He's becoming a better shooter — that's the one area where he's really got to work hard on in the offseason, but he has become better. But he's getting better everyday in practice, and he's a great kid."

Encouraging to hear the HC say he would have contributed as a true freshman on a great team.

Last edited:
Do you think our chances of landing Parker went up with OU landing Jeremiah Fears a top 25 guard who will reclassify to '24?

Do you think our chances of landing Parker went up with OU landing Jeremiah Fears a top 25 guard who will reclassify to '24?

Once he sees that disaster that is Lloyd Noble Stadium compared to the stately and graceful Gallagher-Iba Arena

A lot of "potential starters" in that write up. :ROFLMAO: However I wouldn't be surprised if Lutz starts some of them until he gets everyone up to speed. Could defiantly see Newman starting a few games early or if we have a couple bad games (needing to right the ship).

Based on how Lutz has run his teams in the past, we will probably have a 9-10 player rotation. I'm not a fan of a large rotation of players. I would like to see 7-8 players.

At PG, SG, SF
Brantley (starter)
Keller (starter)
Bryce (starter) could flip with Davis
Davis (rotation) could flip with Bryce
Newman (rotation)
Dean (rotation)

At PF/C
Ousmane (starter)
some combination of Avery/Jennings/Suemnick in the starter/rotation.
I see Avery as the other starter, because I think they will want to use Jennings to sub in for Ousmane.

All other players are emergency players unless we get a new commit. If we upgrade somewhere, then for the 1/2/3 positions, Dean is first out unless someone is not able to step in as PG to back-up Brantley. For 4/5 positions, Suemnick is first out.

Just my take based on stats and recruiting evals/reports.

Had some comments today about keeping his standard sky high and forcing guys to reach it every single day. Boynton I know lowered his standards many times with guys failing drug tests, late to meetings, late to practice etc. Guys would walk over him at times which created his downfall. Really liking the way Lutz speaks. Very candid and transparent. Nothing to hide. Work your azz off and you earn playing time. If you don’t you sit. Many opportunities for all the guys with most getting a fresh start which appears to be the theme for this team. Put a bunch of hungry guys together and let dog eat dog

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news on Kris Parker’s visit to ou? Think he comes to us tonight or tomorrow! Could be a huge sign and potential NBA player!

Back