2024 Portal Season

I think a lot of games can be won with discipline alone. Bryce shooting fadeaways out of rhythm with 3secs left on the clock is not winning basketball. Stupid foul after foul when you have no big man depth is not winning basketball. Not hustling back, same story. Clean up that stuff, sprinkle in some experienced talent and I agree 5/6th in conference is a solid goal. Make the tourney and see what happens
Man I would love to see a 5th or 6th place finish but that almost seems impossible w such a loaded conference and no inside depth. My expectation is finish no worse than 10th and above 0.500 overall.

Play disciplined smart basketball and see commitment by the players to the structures on offense and defense.

If we finish higher than 7th in the conference I’d be shocked. The conference definitely has some serious depth and talent. Slits needs to add some dudes and then coach his a$$ off.

Tier 1, no explanation needed:
KU
Houston
Arizona
Baylor

Tier 2:
K State -They we’re a bit down last year, but their boosters REALLY opened up the pocket books and they’ve added a ton
Iowa State - I know others are even higher on them, but I don’t know if I’d put them tier 1 based on rosters alone

Tier 3:
WVU
Cinccy

Tier 4:
Everyone else.

I don’t disagree with expectations. Steve strikes me as a guy that is going to come out swinging with discipline, structure, discipline, and defense we saw brief glimpses during coach Mike’s term, and it allowed him to make several upsets his problem he let his guys get away with everything and no discipline behind the scenes. Knowing we can split with these powers gives me hope for a top six finish. I think these final three pieces dictate how our season goes. Do we find an international star? Pay a portal star? Or find another diamond in the rough veteran looking for a fresh start? I’m encouraged! Wish they would show more clips from practices or interviews

Just an anecdotal comparison, I remember K State didn’t fill out their roster last year kinda the same we way we are, it took them awhile. They added big men like N’Guessan really late last year and it worked out fine. Is it concerning we still haven’t filled out the roster? Maybe a bit. But recruiting is weird these days. I’d rather Lutz take his time and add the right guy, then rather add just another guy.
That's probably a fair comparison. I definitely don't want to get stuck with a guy for 2-3 years just to have a body. In lutz we trust..... for now :ROFLMAO:

Really want some more basketball tidbits and interviews and get to know the players. Would love some hilights. Can’t stand the player to player interviews with chuckling and one word answers. Kinda corny and HS-like. We have a big hire and know nothing about anyone

Received a new commit today. 6'8" F from WVU, Pat Suemnick. 4.1 PPG, 2.6 RPG in 14 MPG last season. One season of eligibility left.

Had a 5 game stretch last season that included a 12 point game at Houston, a 16 point game vs Texas, and a 20 point game vs. Kansas. Could be some potential there. Will be interesting to see if he can carve out a role.

Last edited:
Received a new commit today. 6'8" F from WVU, Pat Suemnick. 4.1 PPG, 2.6 RPG in 14 MPG last season. One season of eligibility left.

Had a 5 game stretch last season that included a 12 point game at Houston, a 16 point game vs Texas, and a 20 point game vs. Kansas. Could be some potential there. Will be interesting to see if he can carve out a role.

A lot of good praise from WVU fans too

How do you play so many years for several teams and avg 2-4ppg? Just amazes me you can last on a big 12 team with such little production with a HOF coach.

I like the 8 game stretch in January. Avgd over 20 minutes per game, shot a high FG % and didn’t take a 3.

Might not be all conference but he has length and he played considerable minutes in the big12. We needed length and at this stage in the process it’s a plus that it comes from someone who has played big12 basketball.

Roster is set! I wish we had more size down low, but Lutz has built the best roster he can for this year, and left room for a ton of recruiting next year. Below is the list of all forwards for next season.

Bobik - 6-7 Freshman (Walk-on/Legacy)
Smith - 6-7 Sophomore (Juco Transfer)
Jennings - 6-8 Junior (TTU Transfer)
Suemnick - 6-7 Grad Student
Ousmane - 6-9 5th yr senior
Caron - 6-8 Grad Student
Avery - 6-8 5th yr senior

Roster is set! I wish we had more size down low, but Lutz has built the best roster he can for this year, and left room for a ton of recruiting next year. Below is the list of all forwards for next season.

Bobik - 6-7 Freshman (Walk-on/Legacy)
Smith - 6-7 Sophomore (Juco Transfer)
Jennings - 6-8 Junior (TTU Transfer)
Suemnick - 6-7 Grad Student
Ousmane - 6-9 5th yr senior
Caron - 6-8 Grad Student
Avery - 6-8 5th yr senior
I was under the impression that we still had 2 scholarships to give.

Only 11 scholarship players :

Avery
Brantley
Davis
Dean
Dow
Jennings
Keller
Newman
Ousmane
Suemnick
Thompson

The rest would be walk-ons:

Bobik
Caron
Cole
Smith

If that is the case, we still have 2 scholarships to add more size.

Avery
Brantley
Davis
Dean
Dow
Jennings
Keller
Newman
Ousmane
Suemnick
Thompson

Bobik
Caron
Cole
Smith

With NIL money are scholarships relevant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Avery
Brantley
Davis
Dean
Dow
Jennings
Keller
Newman
Ousmane
Suemnick
Thompson

Bobik
Caron
Cole
Smith

Smith is a walk-on, Caron will be on scholarship. We have one scholarship remaining.

Smith is a walk-on, Caron will be on scholarship. We have one scholarship remaining.
Good catch. I missed Smith was a walk on. I almost didn't include him because he's listed as a wing player, but went ahead because he's on our roster as a SF and one of the taller guys on the roster. It's good to have some of that size, but I definitely don't expect him to be banging with the bigs consistently.

Kind of beating a dead horse, but who or what is your source that Smith is a walk-on? Coach? Smith? News in print, like a newspaper article? I just haven't seen any source.

It’s been reported in multiple sources. Here’s one.

The Oklahoman article you linked states this:

"One of four walk-ons to join the program to this point, Smith will be a sophomore next season, stepping into a veteran-heavy Cowboy roster thanks to the depth of older additions Lutz made through the transfer portal."

Wouldn't the 4 walk-ons be Caron, Cole, Bobik, and Smith? I haven't seen anything reporting Caron as a scholarship player except your post.

Back