Who Should OSU Hire as Next Basketball Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I preferred Schertz over Lutz, but I'm good with the Lutz decision. I liked him better than most of the other possibilities. Produced 3 NCAA tourneys in 3 seasons as a Head Coach and was an assistant coach at a couple of good programs.

The only thing that gives me pause is that he plays with a deep bench. I don't know if it is out of necessity or by design, when you bring in a ton of portal guys and haven't had a chance to develop guys within your program.

Don McHenry looks like the only underclassman that would be worth a transfer.

The Office Yes GIF

And in half-court sets they like to attack the rim. Or, the polar opposite of what we've seen from OSU since 2008.

My guess is that ADCW really wanted in interview Schertz for the job before making a decision, which is why we've heard nothing. The possible rumors we were hearing about Alford, Spinkle, etc. likely were that those guys were interviewed. If we're hearing Lutz, my guess would be that he/his team has put pressure on ADCW to make a decision on Lutz before Schertz plays this weekend. Essentially, Lutz wants to be the guy or not. He doesn't want to be 2nd choice. This is all pure speculation, but seems logical instead of the sky is falling scenario that many are throwing out there.
I'm also curious if he was interviewed by Louisville and when they went with Kelsey his interest in us grew stronger? Pat Kelsey has been a HC longer but isn't exactly a home run for a place like Louisville. I just hope we can announce today or tomorrow so I can stop wasting so much time on this board, haha.

I'm also curious if he was interviewed by Louisville and when they went with Kelsey his interest in us grew stronger? Pat Kelsey has been a HC longer but isn't exactly a home run for a place like Louisville. I just hope we can announce today or tomorrow so I can stop wasting so much time on this board, haha.
I agree. I thought Kelsey was very interesting, but I'd be fairly ticked if that was the candidate as a Louisville fan. They've had plenty of success, and a recent Natty.

If Steve is hired, OSU would be his third HC'ing job since the 2021-2022 season. It appears the 2021-2022 season was Steve's first tenure as a HC. Basically, he has three years of experience as a HC. What is up with hiring a HC who had nome and very minimal experience as a HC?

This will be another disaster, but I'll support the basketball program. If Steve is hired, I truly hope he's able to resuscitate a dead basketball program. I just... man, we need a (regardless of division previously coached) HC who's a proven program builder. Instead, our possible new HC once again has minimal HC experience.

Hopefully I'm wrong... but this will prove to be another disaster. Nobody wanted the job, so I guess he's the best we could get. What a bummer

If Steve is hired, OSU would be his third HC'ing job since the 2021-2022 season. It appears the 2021-2022 season was Steve's first tenure as a HC. Basically, he has three years of experience as a HC. What is up with hiring a HC who had nome and very minimal experience as a HC?

This will be another disaster, but I'll support the basketball program. If Steve is hired, I truly hope he's able to resuscitate a dead basketball program. I just... man, we need a (regardless of division previously coached) HC who's a proven program builder. Instead, our possible new HC once again has minimal HC experience.

Hopefully I'm wrong... but this will prove to be another disaster. Nobody wanted the job, so I guess he's the best we could get. What a bummer
Just stop. A big ole full stop. Not a roll through a stop sign, but a full stop, look both both ways, look again, put it in park, type of stop.

You've been wrong about everything else you've posted, so that bodes well for Lutz...

He has been a coach for nearly 30 years. He pretty much ran the defense for Painter. Coaching I am not worried about.

Recruiting is where he needs to prove it.

I think we have to understand who we are. We are not a great gig at this time.

What's with people reacting negatively reacting to my posts? Jesus. My 6-year old twin daughters and their friends are vastly more mature than some people on this forum. When they hear something they don't agree with, they don't throw a hissy fit.

I'll say it again. This hire will prove to be a disaster. You may want not to admit it, because we all want this to work out. Boynton had no experience, and it was a disaster. At least he was a good recruiter, even when be was with Underwood at Stephen F. Austin. The new HC has three freaking years of HC'ing experience. There is no way in hell to even guess how good of a HC he is, because continuity doesn't exist to analyze his coaching ability.

Unless the new coach hires great recruiters, the OSU basketball program will be completely irrelevant for countless years ahead. And it's a bummer. It's impossible to know how good of a recruiter Steve is... not enough HC'ing experience.

I truly hope Steve has what it takes to be the light the OSU basketball needs as it sits in the dark abyss. I think it's going to be a disaster. Sorry, but with this hire, Chad is 2.0 software version of Mike Holder.

What's with people reacting negatively reacting to my posts? Jesus. My 6-year old twin daughters and their friends are vastly more mature than some people on this forum. When they hear something they don't agree with, they don't throw a hissy fit.

I'll say it again. This hire will prove to be a disaster. You may want not to admit it, because we all want this to work out. Boynton had no experience, and it was a disaster. At least he was a good recruiter, even when be was with Underwood at Stephen F. Austin. The new HC has three freaking years of HC'ing experience. There is no way in hell to even guess how good of a HC he is, because continuity doesn't exist to analyze his coaching ability.

Unless the new coach hires great recruiters, the OSU basketball program will be completely irrelevant for countless years ahead. And it's a bummer. It's impossible to know how good of a recruiter Steve is... not enough HC'ing experience.

I truly hope Steve has what it takes to be the light the OSU basketball needs as it sits in the dark abyss. I think it's going to be a disaster. Sorry, but with this hire, Chad is 2.0 software version of Mike Holder.
People are reacting negatively because you keep saying with 100% certainty that this hire will be a disaster like you're some kind of expert analyst.

You didn’t stop.

I’ll reply to your recruiting sky is falling weird dude energy. He recruited Jaden Ivey and Zach Edey as an assistant. He recruited 12 portal players in a year to turn around a Corpus team that won single digit games the year before and those 12 guys made the tourney the next year. But yeah, let’s not trust his recruiting. It’s a disaster.

I think this will be a solid hire given the current state of our program.
In the 18 seasons since Eddie retired we have been in the NCAA tourney 7 times (39%) and had a winning conference record only 3 times. We are no longer a contender in our own conference.
On top of that, we are now in the NIL era so being able to recruit high school kids is no longer a requirement. The only way any coach can turn our program around is to figure out a way to maximize our limited NIL dollars and coach the heck out of them. Can Lutz do that? Time will tell but I like his chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure your daughters and their friends are more thoughtful than you, too. You just contradicted yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back