Who Should OSU Hire as Next Basketball Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not be underwhelmed by OSU hiring Lutz. His assistant coaching experience is top notch under Greg McDermott at Creighton and Matt Painter at Purdue. There is little doubt that he would be a solid in game coach which is what we have seemed to be lacking in most hires since Eddie Sutton. 3 years as a head coach, 3 regular season or conference tournament titles, 3 NCAA tourney appearances. The only real downside I see is only 3 years of head coaching experience. But that is somewhat negated by the fact that those 3 years have been so successful and the quality of experience he gained as an assistant. There are far less qualified candidates out there. I would have the expectation that OSU would be very competitive right away under Lutz.
I think the downside you mentioned above is an inherent risk given that we don't have the budget to buy a proven elite coach (who really does?) Even schools with huge budgets that can buy whoever they want can't guarantee elite outcomes. Since we can't afford to buy whoever we want, we have to take more risks than those who can, so I think it makes a ton of sense to seek coaches with potential at the lower levels for financial reasons alone. Its weird that people expect anything different, especially in basketball, and especially given the state of our program.

I don’t believe he’s an OSU fan. The correlation between absolute sh!t takes and the disappearance of midnight toker are two empirical to ignore..…

sally kohn troll GIF by The Opposite of Hate

Ok, y'all. I would've figured that the quote of mine I'm quoting, that was a quote of a previous quote I had made, would've been obvious as posting a couple of silly nonsensical posts.. you know, to help out during these trying times. Not sure how I received over 50 notifications from one freaking post. Relax, people. Take a deep breath. Exhale.

Stop with the ridiculous messages, too. Good lord. Put down the bottle, turn off whatever electrical device you're using to access the Internet, walk outside and bask in some sunshine of happy rays.

Can't believe I actually have to say that my post was obviously in jest.. not to be taken seriously. But, here we are.

If Steve is the best we can get, buckle up. Because I was just joking around about not being able to interview the type of talent needed to get this program up and running. Yet, Steve Lulz is the guy? Swing and a miss, and that I am being serious about. Or am I? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'll let you decide, because I was in disbelief reading replies to my obvious in jest post.. I kinda want to experience that weird sensation once again. I felt weird, yet my nips were worryingly tingling. I can't explain it. Like that one time, when I climbed the rope in gym class. Weird times.
1711639834483.png

Lutz seems like a solid hire. Worked with good coaches and gets his teams to the tournament. It may have taken longer than expected, but I am excited. Assuming it comes to fruition.

Lutz seems like a solid hire. Worked with good coaches and gets his teams to the tournament. It may have taken longer than expected, but I am excited. Assuming it comes to fruition.
Taking longer than expected if it is indeed Lutz I'd guess has to do with Schertz still being in the NIT. Chad probably wanted to interview and decide between both, but with another week at least in Schertz's season, Lutz's crew is saying "sh!t or get off the pot". Lutz is still a great hire so we're making one last ditch reach-out effort to Shertz's agent to give the same kind of ultimatum, and if not given a firm "yes he wants interviewed/offered" answer then we're locking up Lutz, bird in the hand so-to-speak.

Why only cautiously optimistic?
I think that might be the best I can give with the way OSU basketball has been. Especially considering the coaches our program could afford. Maybe even with anyone short of Bill Self.

Very cautiously optimistic, or cautiously very optimistic?
LOL! Very good point. My mistake. I meant "cautiously very optimistic".

I think that might be the best I can give with the way OSU basketball has been. Especially considering the coaches our program could afford. Maybe even with anyone short of Bill Self.

LOL! Very good point. My mistake. I meant "cautiously very optimistic".
I get it, I feel a lot the same. That said, Lutz does excite me. Nobody outside of a blue blood or stupid rich Michigan type was going to get a proved P5 Bill Self like coach anyway, and Lutz's pedigree looks pretty darn good. There's inherent risks with any "up-and-comer", but his history shows a lot of success and/or exposure to success. Bring him on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back