Who Should OSU Hire as Next Basketball Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of smoke tonight on Steve Lutz being the guy. I personally really like the hire if it comes to fruition. We shall see.

I’m good with Lutz. Wanted him or Schertz after the initial dominos.

Over the last hour or so, everyone saying it is Lutz, but things need to be finalized.

I'm good with Lutz. He's been to the NCAA tournament every season he has coached (3).

He turned around a Western Kentucky team that was floundering at 17-16 and got them to 22-12 in the first season and to the Dance. He was 8-8 in Conference USA, so that's not so great.

He's from San Antonio, so he knows the lay of the land.

He likes to play fast. Really fast. According to a scouting report, "the only team this season to average 20 transition possessions a game." In the halfcourt offense, they like to get to the rim. They play solid D, and exceptional D in transition.

Wjhat's wrong with Lutz? Consistently makes the tournament with mid majors and has worked under great coaches.
Seriously, I'll never understand our fanbase. It's a great hire for where we currently sit. Successful mid-major head coach, and long time assistant under two very successful top division coaches. I don't think people understand how hard it is to even be mediocre at TAMUCC, and he won that conference two years in a row.

Seriously, I'll never understand our fanbase. It's a great hire for where we currently sit. Successful mid-major head coach, and long time assistant under two very successful top division coaches. I don't think people understand how hard it is to even be mediocre at TAMUCC, and he won that conference two years in a row.
Another underrated factor about Lutz is his connection to Texas. He grew up in San Antonio and played high school and college ball in Texas. It's important for an OSU coach (really at any sport) to have ties to Texas because it is such a heavy recruiting ground for the school.

I think we hear a Lutz announcement today or tomorrow.

I don’t believe he’s an OSU fan. The correlation between absolute sh!t takes and the disappearance of midnight toker are two empirical to ignore..…

sally kohn troll GIF by The Opposite of Hate

I would not be underwhelmed by OSU hiring Lutz. His assistant coaching experience is top notch under Greg McDermott at Creighton and Matt Painter at Purdue. There is little doubt that he would be a solid in game coach which is what we have seemed to be lacking in most hires since Eddie Sutton. 3 years as a head coach, 3 regular season or conference tournament titles, 3 NCAA tourney appearances. The only real downside I see is only 3 years of head coaching experience. But that is somewhat negated by the fact that those 3 years have been so successful and the quality of experience he gained as an assistant. There are far less qualified candidates out there. I would have the expectation that OSU would be very competitive right away under Lutz.

My guess is that ADCW really wanted in interview Schertz for the job before making a decision, which is why we've heard nothing. The possible rumors we were hearing about Alford, Spinkle, etc. likely were that those guys were interviewed. If we're hearing Lutz, my guess would be that he/his team has put pressure on ADCW to make a decision on Lutz before Schertz plays this weekend. Essentially, Lutz wants to be the guy or not. He doesn't want to be 2nd choice. This is all pure speculation, but seems logical instead of the sky is falling scenario that many are throwing out there.

Chad is now looking at Div 2 for a new HC. The number of candidates who've said no, is staggering. I thought Chad would've already had a new HC ready to sign after firing Boynton. But, yeah.. that was a huge mistake. More than likely OSU basketball will not have a HC when portal opens. In other words, the current state of OSU men's basketball.. yikes. It simply cannot get any worse.

Chad, what were you thinking? How do you fire a HC without a replacement ready to go? I understand that not having an immediate replacement ready to sign immediately after firing a HC... But, good grief. Chad screwed up big time. Nobody is calling him back, and nobody wants the job. Y'all can keep slamming me all you want.. I am merely a messenger stating facts, not opinions.

We will have a Div 2 HC. Not good. At all.
Ok, y'all. I would've figured that the quote of mine I'm quoting, that was a quote of a previous quote I had made, would've been obvious as posting a couple of silly nonsensical posts.. you know, to help out during these trying times. Not sure how I received over 50 notifications from one freaking post. Relax, people. Take a deep breath. Exhale.

Stop with the ridiculous messages, too. Good lord. Put down the bottle, turn off whatever electrical device you're using to access the Internet, walk outside and bask in some sunshine of happy rays.

Can't believe I actually have to say that my post was obviously in jest.. not to be taken seriously. But, here we are.

If Steve is the best we can get, buckle up. Because I was just joking around about not being able to interview the type of talent needed to get this program up and running. Yet, Steve Lulz is the guy? Swing and a miss, and that I am being serious about. Or am I? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'll let you decide, because I was in disbelief reading replies to my obvious in jest post.. I kinda want to experience that weird sensation once again. I felt weird, yet my nips were worryingly tingling. I can't explain it. Like that one time, when I climbed the rope in gym class. Weird times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back