Might be a pattern here....

23-24 Season "Josh needs to figure this thing out"
22-23 Season "Josh needs to figure this thing out"
21-22 Season "Josh needs to figure this thing out"
20-21 Season "Josh needs to figure this thing out"
19-20 Season "Josh needs to figure this thing out"
18-19 Season "Josh needs to figure this thing out"
17-18 Season "Josh needs to figure this thing out"
Not sure whether to laugh or cry. I was so pumped when he came back as skipper but man we’ve been trending down last 2 years, when we should be rocketing the other way. We’re either scoring 15 runs or chasing double digits before 6 innings. Josh has shown to have his clubs peak at the right time, which I’m all for but damn we lose some awful games.

Just too many of these non competitive games. All starts with terrible plate approach.

We often say that our basketball team lacks IQ, but do we have baseball IQ? Do we know when to take a pitch? Do we know when to grind out an AB?

It's all just going up there and hacking away. Sometimes they get hot and have big games, and just as often they look lost. Kind of like living and dying by the three.
There's two disturbing similarities.

1. Big athletic dudes
2. Seemingly little IQ at the actual game

When we can out-athlete people or get hot we roll. If it's a game where we need to play smart and clean, odds are its an L.

Our elite teams of the past hit plenty of home runs, but they hit a TON of base hits, most of them with two outs. Ward had them working the count on every plate appearance and they didn’t swing at bad pitches. We also had some elite pitchers. Heck, Rob Walton was one of them. We don’t do any of those things well on this team and we haven’t for a long time. It’s sad and most won’t admit it but Frank Anderson had more well rounded and competitive teams than what we’re watching now. A 13-2 loss to UCF is embarrassing enough but just wait until we get into the meat of the Big 12. A sub .500 season is a real possibility and that’s just sad for a program like ours used to be. This year feels like last year when we finished 18th in wrestling which was an all-time low. Something has got to change in our entire approach to the game!

Josh recruits to some extent what MLB has become.
1. If you can hit some HRs, then it doesn't matter how many times you strike out
2. If you can pitch 100 mph, then it doesn't matter if you know how to work the plate, mix-up pitches, or throw a change-up or curve ball
He doesn't recruit "baseball" players.

Our elite teams of the past hit plenty of home runs, but they hit a TON of base hits, most of them with two outs. Ward had them working the count on every plate appearance and they didn’t swing at bad pitches. We also had some elite pitchers. Heck, Rob Walton was one of them. We don’t do any of those things well on this team and we haven’t for a long time. It’s sad and most won’t admit it but Frank Anderson had more well rounded and competitive teams than what we’re watching now. A 13-2 loss to UCF is embarrassing enough but just wait until we get into the meat of the Big 12. A sub .500 season is a real possibility and that’s just sad for a program like ours used to be. This year feels like last year when we finished 18th in wrestling which was an all-time low. Something has got to change in our entire approach to the game!

I am as frustrated as anyone with the play of this team to date. But let’s pump the brakes on the sub 500 season talk. To be fair we have multiple freshmen starting and playing significant time due to injuries to seasoned, successful starters. They will come back and be more consistent. Although the freshmen have played well. Let’s see how they’re playing when the seasoned starters return before we expect a sub 500 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am as frustrated as anyone with the play of this team to date. But let’s pump the brakes on the sub 500 season talk. To be fair we have multiple freshmen starting and playing significant time due to injuries to seasoned, successful starters. They will come back and be more consistent. Although the freshmen have played well. Let’s see how they’re playing when the seasoned starters return before we expect a sub 500 season.

Believe me, I don’t want a bad season and I want them to wake up and start playing winning baseball. I’m just commenting on what my eyes are telling me right now. There are way better teams than UCF ahead on the schedule!

Any team that has a pitcher that can throw a good curveball can beat OSU. THE cowboys have shown consistently over the years the curveball is their kryptonite.

giphy.gif

That moment you realize your team sucks!

Who else had the feeling the umps were going to somehow call the guy safe at first when obviously picked off?

It would be par for the course.

Back