OSU vs Iowa

Tennis is a good one
Cross Country is a good one
Not sure about soccer
Golf
Golf and cross country are different animals, because lots of teams play for one host. Tennis is a good one, I know they have good crowds. Soccer has been pretty good at home, not sure if I'd call it a major advantage.

We’re not quite there yet but this is a very young team. We are light years better than last year and still could finish with a Top 5 finish if they learn from this and wrestle aggressively at Nationals. We weren’t going from 18th to 1st in one year but we’ve moved up more than 10 spots. I look for a Top 3 finish next year!

“I wasn’t expecting that, that’s for damn sure,” Smith said after fourth-ranked Iowa’s 22-9 dismantling of the second-ranked Cowboys on Sunday afternoon.

“Got a team that’s been bruised up a little bit in Iowa,” Smith said. “And we hadn’t been bruised up. We have now. Let’s see what we can do from this point forward now. A lot of fight in Iowa. A lot of the matches where it seemed like we could’ve made the difference, they won."

“Just not enough. We gotta have way more intensity. The intensity wasn’t there. The shot ratio wasn’t there. They were taking the shots and we were defending.”

“We’ve got enough competitors on the team, we’ll be fine,” Smith said. “Gotta get up each and every week. You can’t take a week off emotionally or you’re gonna find yourself in a lot of trouble, like we did tonight. Need to gather the troops up and push forward.

“I gotta be careful right now. We just need to grow up a little bit, learn some lessons from it and go kick ass in the Big 12.”

“That crowd was awesome,” Smith said. “I’m disappointed we didn’t give ‘em more. When you have that opportunity — you don’t get it all the time, so when you have that opportunity, you want to make sure you give ‘em something to bring ‘em back.

“This team’s better than that. They didn’t perform well tonight, for one reason or another. Come back and see this team wrestle again. They’ll be better.”

John Smith in Oklahoman

Back