New coach: David Taylor

I think the animosity is not hard to understand.

OSU and PSU do not have any bad blood between them. So hire of DT from PSU, while outside of family and feel bad for Scott, otherwise hard to object.

OSU and Iowa do have bad blood between them. Gilman is from Iowa. Gilman and Smith got into heated exchange at Iowa-OSU match. Gilman knocked Fix out of Olympics.

So there is argument by hiring Gilman shows lack of respect for OSU history.

I think I understand why Gilman got hired. He helps RTC which help with recruiting and development. In fact, I could see argument he is best guy around to help RTC.

But I think OSU has pretty good team in the room, and hope we don't lose it in transfer portal. So that is my concern. If DT can get everyone to stay, and maybe get WH in portal, would make me feel good about hire.
Your theory is probably right. I would prefer to win rather than do the tribal thing.

OSU and PSU do not have any bad blood between them. So hire of DT from PSU, while outside of family and feel bad for Scott, otherwise hard to object.

OSU and Iowa do have bad blood between them. Gilman is from Iowa. Gilman and Smith got into heated exchange at Iowa-OSU match. Gilman knocked Fix out of Olympics.

I think I understand why Gilman got hired. He helps RTC which help with recruiting and development. In fact, I could see argument he is best guy around to help RTC.

But I think OSU has pretty good team in the room, and hope we don't lose it in transfer portal. So that is my concern. If DT can get everyone to stay, and maybe get WH in portal, would make me feel good about hire.
Maybe he'll get a team that will finish better than 10th out of the transfer portal?

I don't like the hire one bit, however you CANNOT boo the coach AT ALL. He applied for the job, and was hired for it. If you want to boo anyone boo ADCW, but no way should anyone boo him, his staff, or his wrestlers.

I don’t understand how any Cowboys fan can’t be doing backflips for this hire…..it’s earth shatteringly awesome! This is literally the only type of seismic change that was going to get us back to where we should be. BTW, Taylor did not “apply” for the job, we sought him out aggressively after he did not make the Olympic team. It took quite a bit of arm twisting (and money) to get him on board. Chad Richison from Paycom just became the Boone Pickens of OSU Wrestling and every Cowboy fan should profusely thank both he and Chad Weiburg who handled this entire process masterfully! There’s going to be a lot of winning and many more titles thanks to the efforts of those two men!

Your theory is probably right. I would prefer to win rather than do the tribal thing.

OSU gets too stuck in the Godfather "family only" mentality because historically it's served us well. But sometimes a shakeup is needed. Look no further than Gajewski for the proof.

200.gif

Gilman was also a college kid when the John Smith thing happened. We all do stupid things in our early 20s. He's almost 30 now. By all accounts he has grown and turned into a great human being. As someone else points out Coach G won a national championship at a school that we have a lot more bad blood with. He's worked out fine. I didn't know much about these new guys until it was announced. But since then I am getting more and more excited about the future of Cowboy wrestling.

I was at the press conference. I believe everyone should be excited about the future. Taylor made it clear that wrestlers need a place to train after graduation. The rtc is going to grow and Daton will benefit. If Taylor didn't think he would get the resources to be the best, he would not take the job.

Yep. I’m in

Yep, I'm all in. I was watching the presser about the time Duke posted last night. I've never watched a full presser before, not even for bball a few weeks ago. But DT reeled me in. I'll be greatly surprised if he/we are not highly successful immediately, like #2-3 in season 1 or 2 and competing with PSU for nattys in 3-4 years.

My biggest takeaway is RA asking what secret sauce he’s gonna take from state college. He said we will create our own magic! Money drives most success in this world and having big time boosters is going to drive our program these next few years. Cannot wait to see what their vision, new facility, RTC momentum and NIL will do for our program!!

Back