New coach: David Taylor

This is a BIG deal and one that will send shockwaves across the college wrestling landscape. As referenced, he is a big reason why PSU has been so successful even if behind the curtain so to speak.

It will be interesting to see the staff he puts together. We know he has the roots in PA and kids grew up idolizing the guy so recruiting/transfer portal will not be an issue.

Last edited:
awkward pulp fiction GIF

Colman Scott right now?

How do the guy in our wrestling room react to this hire? Was there loyalty to Scott? Is there still time for our current wrestlers to hit the portal if they are unhappy?

This was a shock when I first heard it, but after thinking about it for a while, this could be one of the greatest hires in program history, or it could flop. I tend to think that it will be a great hire. As mentioned in the previous post, Penn State was unstoppable and Coleman taking over our program I have no doubt would’ve continued to win lots of duals and contend for the Big 12 but never really threatened for a national title. To put it in context, before the Penn State juggernaut happened, Penn State had a head wrestling coach opening. They had a couple of PSU guys they were considering, but who did they hire? They hired Cael Sanderson, who is a legendary Iowa State wrestler. They understood that he was the hottest thing out there, and they took a chance on him with no real head coaching experience and it’s turned out pretty well for them! I’m fairly certain that this is what Chad is going for or at least hoping for. I tend to think we will be immediately better!

Penn State had a head coach opening back in the early 2000s and there were a couple of PSU guys wanting that job. Instead, they hired the hottest College and Olympic wrestler out there at the time, an Iowa State guy in Cael Sanderson and it turned out pretty well for them. I’m told that David Taylor was a HUGE part of helping to establish that dynasty. I’m hoping we have similar results because we are far more of a legendary powerhouse program than Penn State was when they made that hire!

I am in no way advocating either side, I want to make that abundantly clear. But I did see this morning. Another fan said “wait a second we can’t hire Doug Gotlieb because he has no coaching experience, but we can do this?“

I don’t believe it’s apples to apples but it was interesting. Doug posted a 🤔 to the athletics account too.

Just found it Interesting.

I am in no way advocating either side, I want to make that abundantly clear. But I did see this morning. Another fan said “wait a second we can’t hire Doug Gotlieb because he has no coaching experience, but we can do this?“

I don’t believe it’s apples to apples but it was interesting. Doug posted a 🤔 to the athletics account too.

Just found it Interesting.
Wrestling is by far the sport I know the least about, but I don't think coaching wrestling and coaching basketball are comparing apples to apples. Plus, Taylor is a superstar, and Doug was a good college player who had some major deficiencies.

I think it’s a great hire! I know Coleman personally and he will land on his feet! I can see him and Neil Erisman at LRock landing somewhere big soon! It will be interesting to see how this is handled with him and his family though.

Back