New coach: David Taylor

I was a little surprised to see this until I got more informed.

First, DT was a mentor of Cael Sanderson and is more in touch with his approach to college wrestling than anyone else. He has studied and questioned Sanderson for 8-10 years.

Some well grounded Penn State fans are very concerned with this hire. They should be and because this is the one guy who can be a disruption on Penn States recent run of success. OSUs wrestling history with DT poses a threat to their dynasty because he is revered by many high school kids on the east coast and throughout wrestling communities.

His culture will not be similar to John Smith. The old school approach worked in the past but now kids want to be rested and DT will be able find a good balance of training, rest and learning.

One of the biggest areas he will improve upon is in roads into east coast schools. Him and Sanderson will be a 50/50 on recruiting instead of 80/20 in the past.

The change will give us access to the elite talent needed to transform our program.

Luckily, chad richison was generous and his love for the sport will propel cowboy wrestling. The fact that he was able to guide Weiberg to DT shows how important Oklahoma wrestling success is to him.

Obviously, I am very high on this hire and feel for Coleman Scott. I am very excited about the future and see more championships sooner rather than later.

Wrestling is by far the sport I know the least about, but I don't think coaching wrestling and coaching basketball are comparing apples to apples. Plus, Taylor is a superstar, and Doug was a good college player who had some major deficiencies.
This is the correct view. Wrestling is a sport that requires more motivation and proper balanced training. It doesn’t necessarily require a ton of experience but more so an ability to relate to wrestlers.

Get ready for Taylor to get rid of everyone on staff so gonna fracture the program for awhile
Bored Come On GIF

I didn’t argue.

I’m convinced we could have hired Cael Sanderson, entire PSU team transfers in and we’d still have fans pissed if predicting doom and gloom.

Let it play out.
I meant people inside of osu wrestling program, the team will obviously be fine, but lots of people inside the program are probably upset that one of our own in Coleman Scott was passed over for an outsider and if Taylor brings all his own guys and doesn’t keep anyone that’s already here, people gonna be upset

At the end of the day we want to get back to the national championship. It’s been nearly 2 decades. It’s embarrassing. It’s gross. It’s negligent. It’s a damn shame. This hire pokes the proverbial bear in state college. I love starocci tweeting at OSU wrestling and wanting to do an outdoor dual! That is awesome! We should be on the aggressive marketing and branding. I’ve been to dozens of duals and they have been BORING for years. Yes 1 every 25 we get a good crowd but duals have been honestly lame a long time. We need DJs and laser shows, we need a badass pre dual entertainment we need our UFC guys back in town signing autographs. We need to blow this whole thing into orbit! John has held us back for years and has put us in a hole, this gets us out. Yes it sucks but honestly several staff members need to be gone. If you have any ties to the program you know exactly who I am talking about. And it’s not Tyler or Coleman lol I mean we are the pinnacle of the sports world and it’s time to get back to it. Cannot wait for the big thinking ideas to come soon!!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on if any current OSU wrestlers hit portal? Or how this plays with WH.

And I feel bad for Scott, and hope he lands on his feet.

I don't like the hire one bit, however you CANNOT boo the coach AT ALL. He applied for the job, and was hired for it. If you want to boo anyone boo ADCW, but no way should anyone boo him, his staff, or his wrestlers.

I don't like the hire one bit, however you CANNOT boo the coach AT ALL. He applied for the job, and was hired for it. If you want to boo anyone boo ADCW, but no way should anyone boo him, his staff, or his wrestlers.
Agreed on not booing.

I am really struggling to understand the animosity from some on this move. Personally, I think it's one of the best hires we've ever made and I am not sure any of our previous AD's would have done something like this. Looking forward to seeing this play out.

I think the animosity is not hard to understand.

OSU and PSU do not have any bad blood between them. So hire of DT from PSU, while outside of family and feel bad for Scott, otherwise hard to object.

OSU and Iowa do have bad blood between them. Gilman is from Iowa. Gilman and Smith got into heated exchange at Iowa-OSU match. Gilman knocked Fix out of Olympics.

So there is argument by hiring Gilman shows lack of respect for OSU history.

I think I understand why Gilman got hired. He helps RTC which help with recruiting and development. In fact, I could see argument he is best guy around to help RTC.

But I think OSU has pretty good team in the room, and hope we don't lose it in transfer portal. So that is my concern. If DT can get everyone to stay, and maybe get WH in portal, would make me feel good about hire.

Back