Cowboys trip to Hilton

Take it for what it's worth but Swaim is saying on facebook that Boynton has already been told he has another year. (yeah I know....Swaim)
I mean I wouldn’t be surprised. This is the first year he hasn’t had the NCAA investigation hovering over him. I can see them as a justification to give another year and let the buyout shrink

I am afraid we have missed the window to get our crowd back. College basketball is hard enough to watch due to the slow play and the Thunder are fun to watch. I know what I would rather watch.
Yeah, for sure we missed the window. The Thunder are on track to be better than the Durant/Westbrook days barring major injuries.

we will have a new coach next season...better days are ahead...unless we don't have a new coach next season...lol

They are coachable and Dagnal can flat coach, Boynton should take a lesson or two
Yeah Daigneault (had to look up that spelling) just seemed like a filler hire to save money while the Thunder were rebuilding, but he seems to be turning out to be a pretty awesome hire.

Mike's a good man...not a bad coach...BUT HE HAS GOT TO GO...he hasn't run a decent offense in six years...the only offense was the last ten games of Cade's year...when Avery caught fire...he's run the same shit for six plus years...dribble penetration and nothing else...a little pick a roll this year...and he's put so much fucking pressure on his defense each and every year...his kids play hard...play good defense for the most part...but fuck...when you can't run a decent offense...it exposes shitty defensive periods...and hell...who wants to play defense when you can't fucking score...he's got to go...regardless of contract...in this era of the portal...you're going to lose kids...but you're gonna gain kids...and if fucking KSU...and ISU...can do it overnight...so can OSU...fucking KSU...in the middle of nowhere...there's no excuses...Mike I pulled hard for you for years...but watching your offense...is...fucking offensive

Mike's a good man...not a bad coach...BUT HE HAS GOT TO GO...he hasn't run a decent offense in six years...the only offense was the last ten games of Cade's year...when Avery caught fire...he's run the same shit for six plus years...dribble penetration and nothing else...a little pick a roll this year...and he's put so much fucking pressure on his defense each and every year...his kids play hard...play good defense for the most part...but fuck...when you can't run a decent offense...it exposes shitty defensive periods...and hell...who wants to play defense when you can't fucking score...he's got to go...regardless of contract...in this era of the portal...you're going to lose kids...but you're gonna gain kids...and if fucking KSU...and ISU...can do it overnight...so can OSU...fucking KSU...in the middle of nowhere...there's no excuses...Mike I pulled hard for you for years...but watching your offense...is...fucking offensive
Don't forget TTU. Not even 10 years ago they were to the conference what we are now. They hire Tubby Smith and make the tourney within 2 years. Then hire Beard and boom...elite 8 year two and the title game year 3.

Yet we continue to wallow in and willingly accept mediocrity

I mean I wouldn’t be surprised. This is the first year he hasn’t had the NCAA investigation hovering over him. I can see them as a justification to give another year and let the buyout shrink

This would make sense as to why he brought in so many freshmen. They have a high ceiling, get them experience this year, push for a successful season next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah Daigneault (had to look up that spelling) just seemed like a filler hire to save money while the Thunder were rebuilding, but he seems to be turning out to be a pretty awesome hire.
Exactly. The big thing with Coach Daigneault is he is a student of the game. He's a lot like Coach Spoelstra with the Miami Heat.

Last edited:
Exactly. The big thing with Coach Daigneault is he is a student of the big game. He's a lot like Coach Spoelstra with the Miami Heat.
Yep, Spoelstra is exactly who I think about when I think about the job Daigneault is doing. I remember people didn't think expect much from Spoelstra because he was the coach of the Lebron super team. They just figured the talent on the floor is what ran the show, but Spoelstra proved to be a great coach beyond that.

Yep, Spoelstra is exactly who I think about when I think about the job Daigneault is doing. I remember people didn't think expect much from Spoelstra because he was the coach of the Lebron super team. They just figured the talent on the floor is what ran the show, but Spoelstra proved to be a great coach beyond that.
100%! Also, Spoelstra wasn’t afraid to tell LeBron and co. the what for when needed. And he’s still that way. I see Daigneault doing the same thing, he lets them know that he calls the shots and if you’re not playing well, he will sit you down.

There has been no stronger supporter of HCMB than me coming into this season, but even I think the time has come (after the season). Typically a buyout is negotiated down to a palatable lump sum, often in the 50% range of the overall contract (as a gross generalization). I've had season tickets since the year before Cade (1 BC?), but I've only attended one game this season. And that was when I bought ten $1 tickets, brought a gaggle of nephews for their Xmas present. They loved it - got to sit in the student section, see themselves on the video board and made it on the TV broadcast. But, despite a noncon win the basketball was quite ugly, and I haven't really been tempted to go back.

I think pretty much everybody realizes the handwriting is on the wall, even HCMB. He’s been less enthusiastic this year and his tone is less optimistic than he’s been in past seasons. The only argument being made at this point is financial from a buyout perspective, but the basketball program is bleeding so much in attendance $$$ that even that argument is not going to stand.
This. 100%

We have 20 home games. IF we had a good program, it would be within reason that the average attendance would be an extra 5k per game. That is an additional 100k in attendance.

Tickets, Concessions, and Merch has to total about $30-$40 per person. $3M to $4M per season.

Whatever the actual increase in attendance would be and the average $ spent per person, it is more than the $2M in buy-out we save by waiting ANOTHER YEAR OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

I think some people would call keeping Boynton as Opportunity Cost. I'm an engineer so forgive me if that is the wrong term.

This. 100%

We have 20 home games. IF we had a good program, it would be within reason that the average attendance would be an extra 5k per game. That is an additional 100k in attendance.

Tickets, Concessions, and Merch has to total about $30-$40 per person. $3M to $4M per season.

Whatever the actual increase in attendance would be and the average $ spent per person, it is more than the $2M in buy-out we save by waiting ANOTHER YEAR OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

I think some people would call keeping Boynton as Opportunity Cost. I'm an engineer so forgive me if that is the wrong term.
I dont know the exact business term but in my mind it's always been something like "bird in the hand", or known figures vs. projected figures. We very possibly could generate more than it costs us to get a new coach if it leads to more wins and attendance, but none of that is a guarantee. On the flip side, we are guaranteed to see an $xx reduction in the buyout by waiting another year. So you go with the known thing.

I'm with you 100%. I fully believe we're losing more by being a non-tourney low-attendance bottom feeder than it would cost to pay the buyout and hire a proven coach. I get those type of decisions are tough to quantify and make, but that's why the people in charge of that are carefully selected to handle that level of responsibility and are accordingly highly compensated.

Back