2024 Offseason Thread

Sure. However I cannot name a time we have ever finished 8-5 and unranked only to start the next season Ranked in the Top 10, conference favorites, with a 9.5 over/under. Our preseason projections always seem to fall at or below our previous seasons success rate.
Since '09 we've been preseason top 15 6 times, 3 times top 10.

Sure, but we never made a jump from #45 post season to #8 the following preseason like Utah is this year.
Utah also won their conference 2 out of the last 3 years, we didn't.

Every offseason, ESPN analyst Bill Connelly measures the returning production percentage of each FBS team. In his latest list, the University of Utah ranked within the top 20 teams in the country regarding returning production.

Entering 2024, Connelly pinned Utah as the 16th-ranked team (out of 134 teams) for retaining 72% of their overall statistical production from the 2023 season.

Utah also won their conference 2 out of the last 3 years, we didn't.

Every offseason, ESPN analyst Bill Connelly measures the returning production percentage of each FBS team. In his latest list, the University of Utah ranked within the top 20 teams in the country regarding returning production.

Entering 2024, Connelly pinned Utah as the 16th-ranked team (out of 134 teams) for retaining 72% of their overall statistical production from the 2023 season.
And we are number 4 in that ranking, coming off a 10 win season...

And we are number 4 in that ranking, coming off a 10 win season...
Yes, I read that too.

Both teams return a ton of production, they're ranked 7 spots higher. Right or wrong, Cam Rising is seen as a better QB than Bowman.

I think we're undervalued too, but last I checked Utah didn't have a 33-7 loss at home to S. Alabama last year-easily the worst non-con loss of last season.

Yes, I read that too.

Both teams return a ton of production, they're ranked 7 spots higher. Right or wrong, Cam Rising is seen as a better QB than Bowman.

I think we're undervalued too, but last I checked Utah didn't have a 33-7 loss at home to S. Alabama last year-easily the worst non-con loss of last season.
So OSU losing an early game before we a set QB or RB in a game last year hurts us, but them missing their QB last season means they get no hit for their on-field results. (The UCF loss would be a better example of why to knock us).

Just hate the double speak. They are ranked high because of all their returning production.... we have more and had a better season last year but we don't see that benefit. Not that any of this matters. It's just stupid reasoning

So OSU losing an early game before we a set QB or RB in a game last year hurts us, but them missing their QB last season means they get no hit for their on-field results. (The UCF loss would be a better example of why to knock us).

Just hate the double speak. They are ranked high because of all their returning production.... we have more and had a better season last year but we don't see that benefit. Not that any of this matters. It's just stupid reasoning
1715961349873.png

Where's the double speak coming from? This is what they did with 2 backup QB's-one a true freshman. They were finding their QB too and only lost to ranked teams on the road in a year the PAC12 had ridiculously good QB play. I would absolutely be tickled Orange if we got that result from a freshman QB, but we have a HC with a track record of not being able to find ways for young QB's see success. It is what it is.

For '24 they have Rising back, who's had a better career than Bowman and is also in his 7th year. People simply think their ceiling is higher and actually winning their championship games gives people the impression that they'll rise to the moment.

They're ranked ahead of us in a poll in May, that's all it is.

View attachment 4728

Where's the double speak coming from? This is what they did with 2 backup QB's-one a true freshman. They were finding their QB too and only lost to ranked teams on the road in a year the PAC12 had ridiculously good QB play. I would absolutely be tickled Orange if we got that result from a freshman QB, but we have a HC with a track record of not being able to find ways for young QB's see success. It is what it is.

For '24 they have Rising back, who's had a better career than Bowman and is also in his 7th year. People simply think their ceiling is higher and actually winning their championship games gives people the impression that they'll rise to the moment.

They're ranked ahead of us in a poll in May, that's all it is.
Comparison of the two teams from last season!

Utah wins last season with opponents records in parenthesis:
Florida (5-7)
Baylor (3-9)
Weber State (6-5) FCS
UCLA (8-5)
California (6-7)
USC (8-5)
Arizona State (3-9)
Colorado(4-8)

Their losses were to
Oregon State (8-5)
Oregon (12-2)
Washington (14-1)
Arizona (10-3)
Northwestern (8-5) Bowl game (they were awful in that game with only 211 yards total offense worse than us against Wisconsin in 2022)

They defeated two FBS teams with winning records and one FCS team! This is just for FYI purposes.

OSU wins last season with opponents records in parenthesis:
Central Arkansas (7-4) FCS
Arizona State (3-9)
Kansas State (9-4)
West Virginia (9-4)
Kansas (9-4)
Oklahoma (10-3)
Cincinnati (3-9)
Houston (5-7)
BYU (5-7)
Texas A & M (7-6) Bowl game

The losses were to
South Alabama (7-6)
Iowa State (7-6)
UCF (6-7)
Texas (12-2)

OSU defeated five FBS teams with winning records and one FCS team! Again, just for FYI purposes.

Back