First death row inmate executed by nitrogen gas suffered ‘horrific’ death

To get back at a murderer, this is a great way to do it. Execution by torture.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/01/26/kenneth-smith-death-row-nitrogen-gas-20177387/
From the AP

Ala. Attorney General: Team who carried out nitrogen gas execution deserve thanks and credit

Alabama State Attorney General Steve Marshall says justice was done and the team who carried out the first-of-its-kind nitrogen gas execution "deserve a great deal of thanks and credit for being willing to be the one to step up

I've read the media eye witness accounts as to what occurred during the execution. They described a pretty brutal looking scene...but isn't it SUPPOSED to be? While the graphic descriptions were written by the journalist to be shocking...I would not see how the events that unfolded and the time line would be any different than that of watching someone get the Electric Chair. They sounded like pretty similar bodily reactions and time frame to me as an electrocution.

Death by chemical injection is much "cleaner" less violent than this since you are putting someone to sleep then doing it, but those are modern things and this didn't sound that much different in the process and expectations of the reaction of the Body that the US has been using for 100's of years to execute criminals by removing their access to Oxygen

Last edited:
Probably a wise choice for him to choose nitrogen as an execution method. That seems like a far less brutal/"horrific" way to go than being stabbed & beaten to death.
The AP story I read that described the planning & execution of the execution seemed kinda sketchy to me though; it seems like there's plenty of room to refine their method.

The quickest and probably least painful method would be dropping them in a volcano or lava flow. There’s lots of benefits here, you can do 2 or 3000 at a time, state revenue is always important so stream it, no need for caskets.

The quickest and probably least painful method would be dropping them in a volcano or lava flow. There’s lots of benefits here, you can do 2 or 3000 at a time, state revenue is always important so stream it, no need for caskets.
I like it. Seems like you’ve given this some thought.

I laughed hard when I thought you were going to say 2-3 at a time and it was 2-3…thousand.

Back