Ute Hub admin here

James Earl Jones Reaction GIF

How You Doin Kiss GIF

I swear this fan base doesn't have even a basic understanding of what the 3-3-5 does well and what it is weak against.

First, their star tight end is more of a receiving threat than he is blocking threat. Kuithe is listed as 236 pounds. For reference, Rashad Owens is listed at 230. How does playing a 4 man front help to cover up tight ends in the passing game? Hint: it doesn't. The 3-3-5 actually allows us to keep a more athletic defender on the field to defend against the TE. Bentley and Ryan are their main blocking TEs and pose little threat in the passing game. In fact, no other TE on their roster has more than 2 catches outside of Kuithe.

Second, if they have a blocking TE or two on the field, some adjustments can be made personnel wise or scheme wise. If they have a blocking TE out there, that's one less route runner, and with Safeties as good as Rucker and Daniels are, you can play more cover 1 and put another man in the box. Our line can also slant off the ball and allow for our LBs and Safety to exploit the gaps that the slant creates. We can also change personnel, if needed. The point is that we have flexibility, which is what the 3-3-5 excels at providing.

Third, TCU v. Georgia was not a schematic problem. That was Georgia being one of the best teams ever to step on a collegiate football field and having an overwhelming talent advantage. Also, if the 3-3-5 was a problem against TEs, how does TCU beat Michigan who routinely played 3 TEs, which included one that would be drafted in the 2nd round that spring?

Please, read up about the 3-3-5 and what it does well and were it is weak. Here's a place to start, but it's certainly not the only resource.
You make some good points. Lots of teams have used the 3-3-5 and have had success against the run and pass. It comes down to personnel and alignment to unique formations, which we often seem to have guys in the wrong place.

The issue with covering a TE is 2 things: 1) can the guy you've got covering the TE physically defend him? 2) does he also have run responsibility? If he does, then a smart OC will put that player in conflict with RPO's and play action fakes. Either the TE will run free or the run game will be opened up.

There's also a need to jam the TE and not give him a free release, but when you do that, you're not getting a pass rush, so it has to be a quick redirect to get him off his path.

Utah's physicality and power run game are a major concern against Nardo who often waits too long to fix misalignments to run fits. We'll see how he plays it in the 1Q, will be interesting.

Thank you for the write up. What do you make of the following development?

Just a note that Utah's QB was in practice today throwing so he's likely back for our game. Thamel noted that Rising has been wearing a glove on his throwing hand during practice.“He had a dislocated finger on his throwing hand, and my understanding, there were some stitches near that finger,” he said on College Football Live.“Those injuries are obviously healing, so will he or won’t he have a glove on his throwing hand in Stillwater is one of the big questions we’ll be watching in pregame warmups.”

By the sounds of it, it sounds like y'all are going to try to play him while he is still injured. Do you feel that is preferable to playing Wilson?

Last year for nearly every game we were told he was going to play and he missed the whole season. We don't get clear information from the coaching staff or players on injuries so the only info we get is from supposed "insiders." My gut tells me he's fine and he'll play. I worry he'll be able to grip the ball well enough so he may have some accuracy issues.

Last year for nearly every game we were told he was going to play and he missed the whole season. We don't get clear information from the coaching staff or players on injuries so the only info we get is from supposed "insiders." My gut tells me he's fine and he'll play. I worry he'll be able to grip the ball well enough so he may have some accuracy issues.
That is fair. The more I read about Whittingham the more I realize he is like Gundy. He is also super opague with injury news.

You make some good points. Lots of teams have used the 3-3-5 and have had success against the run and pass. It comes down to personnel and alignment to unique formations, which we often seem to have guys in the wrong place.

The issue with covering a TE is 2 things: 1) can the guy you've got covering the TE physically defend him? 2) does he also have run responsibility? If he does, then a smart OC will put that player in conflict with RPO's and play action fakes. Either the TE will run free or the run game will be opened up.

There's also a need to jam the TE and not give him a free release, but when you do that, you're not getting a pass rush, so it has to be a quick redirect to get him off his path.

Utah's physicality and power run game are a major concern against Nardo who often waits too long to fix misalignments to run fits. We'll see how he plays it in the 1Q, will be interesting.
Agreed- we still have some players who get caught out of position or who were never in the right position to begin with. I will give a bit of a pass in that regard, as it's a fairly complex system to learn, but I would hope that in year 2, it would be a bit better than it has been thus far.

The important thing is that the formation gives us flexibility to play what and how it makes sense to depending on game state or the opponent. It also requires a player like Kendal Daniels who is big, fast, and athletic enough to do what's being asked, which could be covering a TE or RB or WR. Fortunately, he can do that for us this. It will be interesting to see how we replace him, though.

I also think our fan base is a bit overly critical on Nardo for adjustments. Instead of trying to adjust to an offenses set of scripted plays, we just try to do what we do best, then when the offense gets out of script and we see how they're approaching the game via play calling or personnel, that's when Nardo makes his adjustments. I actually think it's a fairly logical approach. Our hope is that as our players get more comfortable with the scheme and understand their responsibilities better, our "what we do best" phase won't give up as many yards/points. We'll see if that bears fruit.

Truthfully, there's no perfect scheme. I think the idea behind going to the 3-3-5 wasn't to find the best defensive formation possible, but rather one that addressed what the majority of teams in our conference want to do offensively, as well as being a formation that utilized personnel that we could recruit and develop more easily.

Back