US continues to go backward...

A $6.3 billion giveaway to millionaires here, a $6.3 billion giveaway to millionaires there, and soon you are talking about real money.
Again, give some examples of what you call loopholes. So what besides carried interest are you referring to?

Far more easy to just make repeated false claims that they all "earned it" as if they did it all on their own without the massive government largess that made them fabulously wealthy.
Ah, the old “you did not build that” claim. I am sure a lot of entrepreneurs will be interested to hear they didn’t earn their own business growth.

Also way better to scold the single mom for food stamps. She certainly did not earn them.
Huh?

Again, give some examples of what you call loopholes. So what besides carried interest are you referring to?

Ah, the old “you did not build that” claim. I am sure a lot of entrepreneurs will be interested to hear they didn’t earn their own business growth.

Huh?
1. $6.3 billion was your figure for carried interest.
Here are a few examples of loopholes. But, let's be honest. These people have billions and pay high-level accountants and tax attorneys to come up with plans/shell corps etc to avoid taxation. If you think two regular guys on a sports message board are going to debate the ins-and-outs of all of the possible loopholes you are too full of our abilities. If you think they do not exist, you are an idiot:
partnership shifting bias
offshoring (see Panama papers)
Salary avoidance/borrowing against stock
Inflated business expenses

2. Pathetic cop-out. Answer this. we are budgeting trillion-dollar government deficits. Are you trying to make the claim that the additional money being spent by government never goes to citizens? If not, where does it go? If so, how can you say that the debt did not help the people that gained the most wealth during the time of government deficits? Quit with the bullshit talking points and make an actual argument. Convince me if you can. If you can't, stick with copying republican talking points from more than a decade ago like any weak minded parrot could do

3. Conservatives don't want to help the poor but have no problem making excuses for helping the rich. Would you cut food stamps since budget is your biggest concern or would you maintain the program?

Last edited:
another one where I was not sure where to put this...good cuz he resigned, bad cuz it went on...

Alaska federal judge resigns after investigators say he created a hostile workplace npr

A federal judge in Alaska resigned this week after investigators concluded he created a hostile work environment by sending crude messages to employees, engaging in sexual contact with a former law clerk and lying to colleagues about that relationship.

Joshua Kindred, who was appointed by former President Donald Trump and served just four years on the bench, did not provide a reason for leaving the lifetime-tenured job in a resignation letter.

But his move came after the Judicial Council of the 9th Circuit found he had repeatedly lied and violated canons that require judges to maintain high standards of conduct and “act at all times in a manner that promotes public confidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary.”

Investigators interviewed 21 witnesses, including nearly all of his current and former law clerks, as well as 700 pages of text messages. Their report cited a text where the judge told law clerks, “who gives a f*** about ethics, we need to get you paid.” In another, he mused about punching multiple Supreme Court justices and bringing Patron, heroin and whip-its to a party in his chambers.

“Judge Kindred’s conduct demonstrates that, for the most part, he was entirely unaware of his problematic behavior, which resulted in at least three law clerks suffering in silence at various points in time,” the Judicial Council wrote in a 30-page order and certification. “The Council is not confident that Judge Kindred fully understands the gravity of his conduct even at this juncture.”

The judiciary is now considering next steps, including whether to refer Kindred to Congress for possible impeachment. As a practical matter, that could bar him from holding future federal elected office or taking other jobs with the federal government.

In a written response to investigators, the judge said he “failed to exercise appropriate boundaries and crossed lines I should not have crossed, particularly as it relates to the overarching trend of me treating employees as friends and allowing my personal and professional struggles to become topics of conversation.”

Advocates for law clerks emphasized the stark power differential between clerks, usually new law school graduates, and the judges whose recommendations can make or break their careers.

Olivia Warren, a North Carolina criminal defense lawyer with Thomas, Ferguson & Beskind who blew the whistle on a different federal judge years ago, said the system does not do enough to protect clerks.

“I think that this is another day of shame, shame, shame on the judiciary,” Warren said. “To the extent that the judiciary says that they’re reporting mechanisms and the changes they’ve made are working, there is nothing in this report that suggests that law clerks actually reported.”

In fact, it appears the initial tip may have come to the chief judge from someone other than one of Kindred’s law clerks. The report said the clerks “suffered in silence” and expressed deep reluctance to cooperate with investigators. It’s not clear whether the judge continued to supervise his clerks during the lengthy investigation, or whether the judiciary made any moves to help them.

“While I’m heartened that the federal judiciary took this issue seriously in this instance, I’m appalled that this type of misconduct was allowed to go on for so long,” said Aliza Shatzman, who started the Legal Accountability Project to share information about problematic judges after her own bad experience as a law clerk.

Millions of people who experience harassment on the job enjoy workplace protections, whether they report to private companies, nonprofit groups or even the U.S. Congress. But that's not the case for some 30,000 people who work for the federal judiciary. That branch of government is largely exempt from the civil rights law that protects workers and job applicants from discrimination.

Rep. Norma Torres, D-Calif., has been pressing the judiciary to do more to protect workers. Torres said Judge Kindred took comfort in a climate that rewards silence and fear.

“The Judiciary must embrace transparency, always release these decisions and publicize data on their protocols to prevent workplace misconduct,” Torres said in a written statement. “In Congress, I will continue to use every tool at my disposal, including the power of the purse, to protect judicial employees and bring transparency to the Judiciary.”

1. $6.3 billion was your figure for carried interest.
Here are a few examples of loopholes. But, let's be honest. These people have billions and pay high-level accountants and tax attorneys to come up with plans/shell corps etc to avoid taxation. If you think two regular guys on a sports message board are going to debate the ins-and-outs of all of the possible loopholes you are too full of our abilities. If you think they do not exist, you are an idiot:
partnership shifting bias
offshoring (see Panama papers)
Salary avoidance/borrowing against stock
Inflated business expenses

2. Pathetic cop-out. Answer this. we are budgeting trillion-dollar government deficits. Are you trying to make the claim that the additional money being spent by government never goes to citizens? If not, where does it go? If so, how can you say that the debt did not help the people that gained the most wealth during the time of government deficits? Quit with the bullshit talking points and make an actual argument. Convince me if you can. If you can't, stick with copying republican talking points from more than a decade ago like any weak minded parrot could do

3. Conservatives don't want to help the poor but have no problem making excuses for helping the rich. Would you cut food stamps since budget is your biggest concern or would you maintain the program?
Labor Economist Says If Elon Musk Paid For Social Security On His Salary For An Entire Year, It Would Save 1/20 Of the entire Social Security Deficit

Labor Economist Says If Elon Musk Paid For Social Security On His Salary For An Entire Year, It Would Save 1/20 Of the entire Social Security Deficit

Why would billionaires apply for Social Security when eligible? It seems to me they would be insulted to get checks amounting to a few thousand a month by the government.

I don't get the because SS won't be around I won't do my own retirement savings. To me that more reason to save on your own. I don't count on SS in my retirement planning, if I did I might cut back on saving out if pocket.

more fear mongering​

Lauren Boebert Blames COVID Vaccine for Joe Biden's Health​

Rep. Lauren Boebert, R-Colo., on Thursday weighed in on the discussion surrounding Joe Biden’s mental fitness for office by posting a series of photos of the president being vaccinated against COVID-19 and implying the immunizations could be to blame for what she called a “rapid physical and cognitive decline”—despite no medical evidence the shots cause such symptoms.

KEY FACTS​

Boebert on Thursday morning tweeted “I wonder what could have caused Joe Biden’s rapid physical and cognitive decline?” alongside four photos of the president being vaccinated for COVID-19 over the course of almost two years.

The photos, taken between January 2021 and October 2022, show the president receiving the first two doses of the vaccine and two booster shots.

Boebert’s post was made despite a lack of medical evidence showing the coronavirus vaccines cause any kind of long term mental or physical decline in patients who receive them, and contribute to a dangerous misinformation campaign that experts estimate caused millions of people to go unvaccinated—leading to hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths.

Biden, who has been under fire from opponents and allies alike since he appeared confused and unable to keep up in a presidential debate on June 27, has in the past been accused by Boebert and others of having dementia—a general term for loss of memory, language and other cognitive abilities—despite the White House earlier this month denying Biden has "any form of dementia."

There is no evidence to suggest that cognitive decline or symptoms are caused by Covid vaccines—no studies exist to indicate an increased risk of neurological disorders or memory loss from the COVID-19 vaccine and and there is no evidence the coronavirus vaccine causes or worsens dementia, according to the Alzheimer's Society.

A recent study published in the The New England Journal of Medicine found that while cognitive and memory impairment have been reported by those who have been infected with COVID-19 or who are suffering from long Covid, those who were vaccinated experienced less cognitive symptoms than those who were not.

AT&T says hacker stole data on ‘nearly all’ of its wireless customers

A hacker accessed and downloaded call and text-message data from nearly all AT&T Wireless customers, the company disclosed in a securities filing Friday.

The breach covers calls and texts made from May 1 to Oct. 31, 2022, as well as this past January. The stolen data include numbers customers called or texted and their duration, but doesn’t contain the content of those communications, AT&T said. The company said it doesn’t think the records are available online.

“AT&T has taken additional cybersecurity measures in response to this incident including closing off the point of unlawful access,” the company said.

AT&T has nearly 90 million wireless subscribers, and the hack also affects information from reseller brands that use the AT&T network.

The breach was discovered in late April and reported to the Department of Justice, which AT&T said has apprehended at least one person. The information was taken from a third-party cloud workspace, the company said.

AT&T and Justice Department officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Names and personal information such as Social Security numbers or credit card numbers weren’t compromised, but the carrier warned that cellphone numbers can easily be connected to names through online tools.

Back