Offensive playcalling

I understand gundy/Dunn get together and put the most Vanilla game plan possible in the beginning of the season.

that said, I cant help but miss the days of Todd monken and Dana Holgerson.

Hell, I even miss the days of gundy calling plays under les miles.

I just don’t understand why we can’t develop plays to our strengths. I remember bedlam with Pettigrew and he would just beast mode it almost every other play.

I hope we see more of the tight ends and we should be throwing the ball down field to stribling and Presley. Those guys are studs.

I am tired of dunns sideline pass and wasted plays but maybe it’s just me

I understand gundy/Dunn get together and put the most Vanilla game plan possible in the beginning of the season.

that said, I cant help but miss the days of Todd monken and Dana Holgerson.

Hell, I even miss the days of gundy calling plays under les miles.

I just don’t understand why we can’t develop plays to our strengths. I remember bedlam with Pettigrew and he would just beast mode it almost every other play.

I hope we see more of the tight ends and we should be throwing the ball down field to stribling and Presley. Those guys are studs.

I am tired of dunns sideline pass and wasted plays but maybe it’s just me
Gundy has a system that nets the max amount of wins for the least amount of effort and risk, and gives us zero chance to ever be elite again. Do not expect anything different until he's gone.

Gundy has a system that nets the max amount of wins for the least amount of effort and risk, and gives us zero chance to ever be elite again. Do not expect anything different until he's gone.
If he gets his boy in the starting qb role expect to see him ramp it up. Coaches always do when it’s their son in a position and it rarely turns out well for anyone.

Although you may be right, but if you get your wish one day, don’t assume we will get some amazing coach that would also dedicate most of his life to this university. I watch other major schools who have hired “elite coaches” and watched them continue to fail (I.e. Nebraska, Florida, Texas). Maybe we would get lucky but I have a feeling if we got someone here that was moderately successful, the next power school to open would be there waiting. Just my opinion.

however you/we feel about Gundy's coaching style/ability, he bleeds orange...when/if we get another HC at OSU, it will be a stepping stone for whoever gets it...and in the 'for what it's worth department', most college football fans are upset with their coach more times than not...I feel for the most part, Gundy gets the most out of his '3 stars' than most would/do...

however you/we feel about Gundy's coaching style/ability, he bleeds orange...when/if we get another HC at OSU, it will be a stepping stone for whoever gets it...and in the 'for what it's worth department', most college football fans are upset with their coach more times than not...I feel for the most part, Gundy gets the most out of his '3 stars' than most would/do...
Then get better players and coordinators

Although you may be right, but if you get your wish one day, don’t assume we will get some amazing coach that would also dedicate most of his life to this university. I watch other major schools who have hired “elite coaches” and watched them continue to fail (I.e. Nebraska, Florida, Texas). Maybe we would get lucky but I have a feeling if we got someone here that was moderately successful, the next power school to open would be there waiting. Just my opinion.
I haven't assumed anything about our next coach. I'm just stating that the current approach is what it is, and isn't going to improve under the current leadership. There's apparently no interest or incentive to even attempt anything different.

Back to the point of this thread, regarding offensive play calling, I am not entirely convinced our OC/QB can count defenders. Our quarterbacks certainly don’t appear to have the authority to change the play.

How many times do you see them look to the sideline pre-snap and it’s like we just go ahead and run the play that was already called regardless of how the defense is set up. What’s the point?

There were run plays on Saturday that the Dallas Cowboys could not have successfully executed against Central Arkansas. Even if we blocked it perfectly, UCA had all of the numbers advantage, we looked to the sideline to check with coaches, and then go ahead and run right at their advantage anyway.

I saw a multiple team to do this all weekend not just us. I also saw multiple teams exploit what the defense was giving them and make defenses look stupid. Like we used to do……

If he gets his boy in the starting qb role expect to see him ramp it up. Coaches always do when it’s their son in a position and it rarely turns out well for anyone.
That's what happened Saturday when Lil Gundy went in. Running game started working and throws opened up against a tired defense.

However, I will give Lil Gundy credit for a couple of nice throws.

That's what happened Saturday when Lil Gundy went in. Running game started working and throws opened up against a tired defense.

However, I will give Lil Gundy credit for a couple of nice throws.
He did hit some passes, you are correct

No, the offense you saw Saturday is the same offense you'll see in the last game of the season. That is our offense.
I understand the offense was the same but the plays called under the offense were vanilla.

I think Dunn needs to leave pronto either way because his offense is like 4 plays and 2 of those plays will NEVER produce positive yards

Back