Offensive playcalling

The more I’ve thought about our RB situation the more I hope Gundy and staff are being cautious and they know Ollie needs more touches and will eventually get him there in conference play. As mush as I’ve complained about his lack of touches I realize they might know more than I do.

Last 2 ballgames have been over 120 degrees on the field against winnable teams. No need wearing his tread slick the first 3-4 games as long as he’s fresh and healthy for 20+ touches against KState.
HCMG has said that's exactly what we're doing. Having a strong, healthy #0 for KSU and at the end of the year is worth infinitely more than style points right now. I think you'll see him and Collins slowly start getting the bulk of the work starting in Ames.

HCMG has said that's exactly what we're doing. Having a strong, healthy #0 for KSU and at the end of the year is worth infinitely more than style points right now. I think you'll see him and Collins slowly start getting the bulk of the work starting in Ames.
Feels like 45 guys do a good job breaking it down on this week's podcast. Basically saving Ollie and a bunch of concepts for later in the year. Its either that or we really have no identity.

Gundy may be playing chess. 2021 except we're managing Ollie's load so we don't run him into the ground like we did Warren.

Feels like 45 guys do a good job breaking it down on this week's podcast. Basically saving Ollie and a bunch of concepts for later in the year. Its either that or we really have no identity.

Gundy may be playing chess. 2021 except we're managing Ollie's load so we don't run him into the ground like we did Warren.
We have no identity.

The Feels Like 45 Pod touched on this quite a bit. Here is a quick cliffs notes from the pod:
- OSU Max interviewed DJ McKinney and he called the out of conference schedule a "preseason" twice in the interview when asking about if/when other looks and packages would be used. Essentially, we are sandbagging bigtime with the playbook, and what has been shown so far backs that up.
- O line play was very mixed. They are perplexed by Brooks who will look like our best OL on one play, and completely whiff on the next. He really needs to find consistency.
- They feel like many of us do and that Birmingham is playing out of position. They talked a bit about moving Cooper or even Wilson, who is more of a technical OL to LT, but went over concerns with both. They think Cooper's hold means the coaches see some issues and don't feel comfortable putting him out there.
- Ollie Gordon has it and is our best RB by a decent margin. They think we are saving his carries for conference play.
- They felt Rangel played the best, but didn't discount Bowman. They feel that GG is the weakest QB and would be exposed during conference play or if he had to throw a lot.
- Much better overall game from the TE's and Fullbacks
- Super basic route concepts used all game. Actually got separation on slants which bodes well.
- Only blitzed once all game (defined by sending 5 or more guys) but still generated good pressure with 3 and 4 man fronts.
- Colin Oliver had a great game and they feel his impact will be felt more in the coming weeks as the playbook starts being opened.
- The DL got great push because according to our coaches our team practiced 4th down plays more than anyone in the offseason.
- Noticeable drop off from Kirkland to Clay. Kirkland played 40% of the snaps and made a noticable impact.

- USA had the 5th best run defense last year and look pretty stout this year. Their pass D is atrocious though. They feel the plays that were called for Bowman last week would shred their defense.
- Return a lot from their 10 win team last year, but their best WR just got hurt, who was 1/2 of their deep threats.
- Feels like another 27-13 type win and that conservative playcalling will continue.

But is that on purpose? Chess not checkers.
Dude, you are giving Dunn and Gundy way too much credit. It's possible that they're being judicious with running back carries and that would be smart. However, the lack of identity on offense has little to do with whether or not Gordon or Nixon or whoever is playing running back. Look at the last 4 years, can you honestly say the offense has had a consistent identity or philosophy? No. Dunn is the worst offensive coordinator at a Power 5 school, except for Brian Ferentz, who has kept his job. We all know why Ferentz has a job. Why does Dunn? It's not chess or checkers or even Candyland our offense and Gundy are playing.

Dude, you are giving Dunn and Gundy way too much credit. It's possible that they're being judicious with running back carries and that would be smart. However, the lack of identity on offense has little to do with whether or not Gordon or Nixon or whoever is playing running back. Look at the last 4 years, can you honestly say the offense has had a consistent identity or philosophy? No. Dunn is the worst offensive coordinator at a Power 5 school, except for Brian Ferentz, who has kept his job. We all know why Ferentz has a job. Why does Dunn? It's not chess or checkers or even Candyland our offense and Gundy are playing.

Agreed. We have no identity other than being boring and predictable--absolutely no creativity. We just line up and go. Gundy sucked as an OC, and he's got his finger prints all over this offense. Neither he nor Dunn know what they're doing and it shows. It is what it is, and we've got to live with it, because it ain't changing.

Kind of hard to open up the playbook when you have 3 QBs splitting time. I’m surprised they can execute the basic plays

Pick a QB!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The "funny" thing is, Collins may be the best RB, but won't see many snaps because seniority and whatnot.

They had is in the top 10 in the country both of the last two years. We were thumping the eventual national runner-up on their own field until Spencer's shoulder shot wore off. (Obviously we went off the rails after that)

I say that to say, Dunn has had extreme bad luck with injuries the last few years and terrible o-lines. There's no way to find an identity in those situations. This QB thing is making us have 3 identities this year. I'm an optimist and believe that by conference play we'll pick a guy and start opening it up.

We are running the same 10 plays over an over with 3 QBs and still winning games. I fully expect one more week of it.

Let's check back after KState and see who was right. I really recommend you listen to the Feels like 45 podcast. They do an excellent in-depth review each week.

They had is in the top 10 in the country both of the last two years. We were thumping the eventual national runner-up on their own field until Spencer's shoulder shot wore off. (Obviously we went off the rails after that)

I say that to say, Dunn has had extreme bad luck with injuries the last few years and terrible o-lines. There's no way to find an identity in those situations. This QB thing is making us have 3 identities this year. I'm an optimist and believe that by conference play we'll pick a guy and start opening it up.

We are running the same 10 plays over an over with 3 QBs and still winning games. I fully expect one more week of it.

Let's check back after KState and see who was right. I really recommend you listen to the Feels like 45 podcast. They do an excellent in-depth review each week.
The offense did not have OSU in the top 10 the last 2 seasons; that's nonsense. In Dunn's 3 years (previous) as OC, the offense has finished in 2022, 46th in 2021, and 51st in 2020. Last year was an absolute trainwreck. It was the defense that made the 2021 team good. Who is responsible for the oline play? Wouldn't that be the line coach and ultimately the OC and then HC? Every team has injuries. The "bad luck" is not recruiting enough depth and preparing them to step in. Good teams do that.

The Cowboys are barely winning games (only 2 so far) against mediocre competition.

If this team is able to be bowl eligible (and I wouldn't bet on it), it won't be because of stellar offensive play. The offense will not finish in the top 50.

The offense did not have OSU in the top 10 the last 2 seasons; that's nonsense. In Dunn's 3 years (previous) as OC, the offense has finished in 2022, 46th in 2021, and 51st in 2020. Last year was an absolute trainwreck. It was the defense that made the 2021 team good. Who is responsible for the oline play? Wouldn't that be the line coach and ultimately the OC and then HC? Every team has injuries. The "bad luck" is not recruiting enough depth and preparing them to step in. Good teams do that.

The Cowboys are barely winning games (only 2 so far) against mediocre competition.

If this team is able to be bowl eligible (and I wouldn't bet on it), it won't be because of stellar offensive play. The offense will not finish in the top 50.
We shall see.

Back