NCAA Selection Show

Northern Colorado finished 27-24 this year, 14-9 in the Big Sky, and won their league tournament to qualify (double elimination).

Their best win appears to be over Nebraska 5-3 (although they lost the other two)

Their best hitter is Amailee Morales .336 13HR 60RBI, but they hit only .265 as a team. Do you risk throwing Kyra?

(I'd throw Ivy since she struggled vs BYU and may need to find her groove again)

Their best pitcher is Erin Caviness 17-8 2.32 era. She has pitched 162 innings and only walked 27, with 177Ks. It appears that most of her success has been against lesser competition.

On paper it's an easy W, but they have a few players that could give us trouble, it all depends on which Cowgirl team shows up.

Last edited:
Northern Colorado finished 27-24 this year, 14-9 in the Big Sky, and won their league tournament to qualify (double elimination).

Their best win appears to be over Nebraska 5-3 (although they lost the other two)

Their best hitter is Amailee Morales .336 13HR 60RBI, but they hit only .265 as a team. Do you risk throwing Kyra?

(I'd throw Ivy since she struggled vs BYU and may need to find her groove again)

Their best pitcher is Erin Caviness 17-8 2.32 era. She has pitched 162 innings and only walked 27, with 177Ks. It appears that most of her success has been against lesser competition.

On paper it's an easy W, but they have a few players that could give us trouble, it all depends on which Cowgirl team shows up.
It’s tough. Ideally Aycock could get you through this game. This Kilfoyl for game 2. Ivy game 3 with the ability to bring back Kilfoyl if there is a game 4. But Kilfoyl didn’t start a single game against OU so who knows what is going to happen there.

Kentucky went 30-22 and 8-16 in league play. I don't doubt that they have the ability to be in the field of 64, but you shouldn't win only 33% of your league games and make it, IMO. They took 2 of 3 from Bama and Georgia but were swept by Florida and LSU. They ended up #28 in the RPI, which is what got them in.

They hit .279 as a team, but have two players with 13 HRs (Coffel and Lorsung) as well as Rylea Smith who hits .371.

Schoonover is their ace (18-9, 2.76) an has more than twice as many innings as anyone else. I'd think they have to throw her against Michigan. Maybe she can go back to back, we'll see. Next best pitcher is Landgon, 5-5. 4.22 ERA. As a team UK has a 3.83 ERA.

Michigan went 37-15 and 17-5 in Big 10 play. They only played 4 games versus quadrant 1 teams, winning twice against Florida and getting shut out by both UCLA (10-0) and TAMU (6-0). They probably would have been an at large even had they not won the Big 10 tournament. Their RPI is 37, but their SOS is #63 (OSU's is 29).

They have two pitchers Derkowski, Lauren 2.16 ERA 19-8 in 194.2 IP and Hoehn, Erin 3.44 14-5 in 95.2 IP. Team ERA is 2.70.

Offensively they are led by Maddie Erickson (.345 11 HR 45RBI) and and Keke Tholl (.275 15 HR 42RBI). They hit .277 as a team.

Last edited:
Back