Interesting Look @ our Program over 20 Years

Poke2010

I might have gotten some of the QB's wrong, but close enough. Really I wanted to take a look at how we've scored or let other teams score in the past, what the trends were, and what effect that had on our overall record. I know this is a crude analysis, and many people look at points per play, points per drive, punt %, 3&out %, etc. However, I think this gives a very good overview of the "eyeball test" that we see as casual fans when we watch the game.

A few thoughts:
1) Maybe Yurcich and young weren't as bad as we thought.
2) Glenn Spencer had a mixed bag of results
3) Knowles was good
4) Dunn isn't great
5) We were way better than we deserve last year. Of the five 10 win seasons we've had, we averaged a scoring diff. of +10.02. Last year was 1...
6) An elite Season for OSU (10+ wins) has an average Off PPG of 39.5 and Def PPG of 26.6
7) Top 5 averages Off PPG - 44.88, Def PPG - 22.86 (Did not include this year, as it's too early in the season)

1727193563008.png

Yurcich scored points, couldn’t maintain drives. There’s a reason he left OSU to be a qb coach. There’s a reason, he got axed at Penn State -

It’s also about working in the framework of a team. Not scoring points is obviously bad, but he didn’t maintain drives and had red zone trouble.

That being said he is miles ahead of Dunn.

Yurcich scored points, couldn’t maintain drives. There’s a reason he left OSU to be a qb coach. There’s a reason, he got axed at Penn State -

It’s also about working in the framework of a team. Not scoring points is obviously bad, but he didn’t maintain drives and had red zone trouble.

That being said he is miles ahead of Dunn.
I agree he was not elite by any means. I do think our judgement might have been clouded being so close to the success of Monken/Holgorsen and the high octane nature of those offenses. He single-handedly made me hate the WR screen as a play call. It's just wild to me that it's been nearly a decade since we've had anything resembling high-level QB play. I'm sure some of that is a talent issue, but definitely part of it has to be play calling and player development.

It hurts to know we've wasted some of our better defenses (DMason excluded) with below average offensive output. Just makes you wonder what if.

Yurcich’s entire offensive playbook was 30 yard back shoulder throws. He benefited greatly from a great QB/WR combo. He was not a great OC.

The OC is a problem. No doubt about it. However, the problem goes way beyond the OC. The offensive line a disaster in run blocking. The QB is nothing more than a game manager. Our RB has lost his confidence and can’t consistently see/hit holes when they do open, however infrequently. Truthfully, I don’t know what I would do if I were the OC. In season, nothing will fix this. If I were the HC, I’d go out in the offseason and try to find someone who already knew, or who could learn quickly, the Shanahan/West Coast offense and install that here. Whatever the solution, it can’t be trying to run whatever Dunn is doing for a 6th year.

It was a low point.
I'd make the argument that this is the low point. Yurch has the advantage in PPG and Dunn the advantage in win%. Either way, It's been over a decade since we were competitive with the best teams in the country. I think Gundy's new line of blaming NIL is lazy and intellectually dishonest.

I'd make the argument that this is the low point. Yurch has the advantage in PPG and Dunn the advantage in win%. Either way, It's been over a decade since we were competitive with the best teams in the country. I think Gundy's new line of blaming NIL is lazy and intellectually dishonest.
We were literally a yard away from a CFP spot 3 years ago.😔

Because of the defense. It's the only time we've given up less than 20 PPG. Offense wasn't Iowa bad, but wasn't great. I would use that exact yard, and that entire series as evidence that our offense was not good.
Lol, whatever dude.

How’d that Fiesta Bowl go?

You said we hadn’t been competitive for a decade. I just showed you how wrong you are, then you give us the’well, but…’ crap.

🤡

The offense under Dunn has suffered no doubt.

But the rest of that is simply inaccurate and emotional.

If the thread is going to devolve we can just lock it up.

Because of the defense. It's the only time we've given up less than 20 PPG. Offense wasn't Iowa bad, but wasn't great. I would use that exact yard, and that entire series as evidence that our offense was not good.
No Jaylin Warren and two CRTICAL INJURIES IN THE OFFENSIVE LINE IN THAT GAME!!! Doesn’t excuse the turnovers from Spencer Sanders!!! 🤔

Lol, whatever dude.

How’d that Fiesta Bowl go?

You said we hadn’t been competitive for a decade. I just showed you how wrong you are, then you give us the’well, but…’ crap.

🤡
You're right. Our offense is elite, and I'm glad Dunn is the one calling plays for us this weekend further proved how right you were.

I was speaking offensively , which was was ranked 44th in the country for PPG that year, so clearly not competitive with the best teams in the country. We had an elite defense that carried us that season.

Does Dana like to hunt and fish? Because if not...he ain't gettin' a call.
1727719795258.jpeg
Flirty Flirting GIF

Back