ESPN - Gordon

Hope Ollie can take this as a lesson similar to one of our past excellent WRs whose NFL career was ruined due to alcohol.

Ollie is young but he needs to learn that his career and legacy is worth more than a night of partying.

So stupid. It seems like many of our football superstars (Dez, Blackmon, now Ollie) can't get out of their own way. Glad no one was hurt.

I think (hope) the difference is that Blackmon didn't really love football. He never changed because alcohol/weed were more important to him. Like texass' Ricky Williams, Blackmon was a generational talent because he was an athletic freak, not because he loved the game. Both also shunned the limelight, which Ollie embraces. I hope 1) Ollie was just being as stupid as many of us were in college, and 2) he aspires to be a great player and takes steps to avoid further issues.

Ollie just lost himself millions of dollars in draft potential with that move. He might need to stay another year in college to gain it back.
Maybe. Maybe not. If he has the measurables and puts up good numbers again this season (assuming he plays), then several NFL teams will look past it. Unfortunately (fortunately?), a misstep like this can be completely covered up if you're good enough.

re: Joe Mixon, et al

I think (hope) the difference is that Blackmon didn't really love football. He never changed because alcohol/weed were more important to him. Like texass' Ricky Williams, Blackmon was a generational talent because he was an athletic freak, not because he loved the game. Both also shunned the limelight, which Ollie embraces. I hope 1) Ollie was just being as stupid as many of us were in college, and 2) he aspires to be a great player and takes steps to avoid further issues.
I think you're right on that. I'm actually surprised that this story hasn't blown up more than it has. Ollie has a big personality and loves to play football but he also has some maturing to do.

GR_L6kraMAc_YFp

The Million$ that these school have it amazes me they don’t have a staff member available 24/7 to drive them home. He’s very lucky he didn’t kill someone or himself. Cannot stand seeing the “we all did dumb things in college”. Drinking and driving SHOULD be inexcusable

Oh please...I don't ever try to justify dui, but think about what he's saying. How many stadiums across the country at all levels & all sports routinely have tailgating and/or serve alcohol at the venue...in large parking lots/campuses? How many of those folks hit the road with limit coach is speaking of here?
Also, there is the medical side. OG is more muscle than fat (like most of said fans) and muscle absorbs the alcohol... sometimes...to a point that raises the tolerance of an individual.
Just stop.

Back