Conference Realignment - What's next?

GT has absolutely no draw whatsoever. They have no in-state following, and their student body has a very high percentage of non-resident and foreign students.

Brent Key will get the football team off of the doormat and perhaps even get them respectable, but the rest of that athletics program is in abysmal shape.

I'd say that I would be in favor of adding GT so that I'd get OSU local every so often, but I know I wouldn't likely venture to the North Avenue Trade School's campus. It's in the middle of a cesspool.

If this happened, in addition to FSU/Clemson, I'd much rather go after North Carolina and Miami.
I don't buy Miami as a lock as a value add. Too much of a variable, direct NFL competition, temperamental fan base (most are fans, not alums - less connection), no significant success in 20 years, no onsite stadium.

Honestly, I'd rather just add three schools (Florida St, Clemson and UNC) that I know are locks. Symmetry and even numbers aren't that important if it decreases Pro-Rata shares.

GT has absolutely no draw whatsoever. They have no in-state following, and their student body has a very high percentage of non-resident and foreign students.

Brent Key will get the football team off of the doormat and perhaps even get them respectable, but the rest of that athletics program is in abysmal shape.

I'd say that I would be in favor of adding GT so that I'd get OSU local every so often, but I know I wouldn't likely venture to the North Avenue Trade School's campus. It's in the middle of a cesspool.

You're correct about GT being a bad draw. Far third banana behind Falcons and UGA, possible behind Clemson, Bama and Auburn too.

The stadium and campus are fine, you're being dramatic and weird. I live in SC and catch occasionally their games - On the edge of South Central. NEVER had a problem. There's people of color there, It's not Mad Max.

You don't have to have true parity to make the product successful but you do need to have the illusion of parity to keep fans of teams like ours interested. That's what college football has always been until now. Honestly I'd rather the Big 12 break away from the SEC and BIG10 and form our own league with it's own championship.
we have our own championship.
we played in it last season.

You're correct about GT being a bad draw. Far third banana behind Falcons and UGA, possible behind Clemson, Bama and Auburn too.

The stadium and campus are fine, you're being dramatic and weird. I live in SC and catch occasionally their games - On the edge of South Central. NEVER had a problem. There's people of color there, It's not Mad Max.

I live an hour from it and an immediate family member went to GA State. I go to that area enough professionally. Recently, I had vehicle trouble in that area and had an encounter with the urban campers. I have no desire to go there recreationally.

Speaking of GA State and GT, they have an upcoming two-game series. GA State could get a huge in-state boost by winning those games. They have been making bowl games already and just hired a phenomenal recruiter. If he's good on the field as a head coach, he could make it really interesting.

Speaking of GA State and GT, they have an upcoming two-game series. GA State could get a huge in-state boost by winning those games. They have been making bowl games already and just hired a phenomenal recruiter. If he's good on the field as a head coach, he could make it really interesting.

Lord jeezus please don't tell me you graduated from there, too.

😉

So, Georgia St to the Big 12?

LOL.

Isn't the Big12 already too big and unwieldy?

I don't think either would add anything because neither brings the "Atlanta market".

GA State has huge enrollment numbers, but they are somewhat of a mirage. It's a giant commuter school that absorbed a junior college with campuses all over the metro area. It's only been within the last 15-years or so that they've tried to create a true campus identity. What little following they have is inner-city ATL.

They played their first football game in 2010 or thereabouts.

LOL.

Isn't the Big12 already too big and unwieldy?

I don't think either would add anything because neither brings the "Atlanta market".

GA State has huge enrollment numbers, but they are somewhat of a mirage. It's a giant commuter school that absorbed a junior college with campuses all over the metro area. It's only been within the last 15-years or so that they've tried to create a true campus identity. What little following they have is inner-city ATL.

They played their first football game in 2010 or thereabouts.
Isn’t that what they said about UCF a few years ago?

I don't think UCF should be in the Big 12, but I understand the timing of the whole thing and why they got the invite when they did.

I agree with this. We did what we had to do to survive, but as higher value teams start becoming available, I think we’re going to have some buyers remorse on some of these programs currently on the Big 12.

That said - Yormark does seem aggressive enough to be the first to kick some schools to the curb…

I agree with this. We did what we had to do to survive, but as higher value teams start becoming available, I think we’re going to have some buyers remorse on some of these programs currently on the Big 12.

That said - Yormark does seem aggressive enough to be the first to kick some schools to the curb…
Here is an interesting site that relates to attendance. UCF isn’t as bad as I thought.

Here is an interesting site that relates to attendance. UCF isn’t as bad as I thought.

Attendance isn't the issue. Eyes watching on TV is deciding all of this.

UCF has a fairly active local following. They don't have a national TV draw.

Back