Who Should OSU Hire as Next Basketball Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thad Matta is an interesting candidate. He retired at Ohio State due to health issues as the all-time winningest coach there. He could be successful here if he's healthy and still has the fire to coach. I would be more excited about him than Alford.
Very interesting indeed. He absolutely dominated for the early part of his career and for most of his tenure at Ohio state, but flamed out hard in his last few years there and now in his first two at butler. I think that serves as a sobering reminder that the margin between really good and mediocre is razor thin.

1711033236410.png

Kyle Smith, Medved, and Lutz haven't done a lot. Danny Sprinkle and Darian DeVries have had good success. I'm still hoping for McCollum.

19 years is still mind-blowing to me. I remember excitedly posting on OrangePower.com during that last run thinking we had this amazing next class of players coming in. Then it went stale for as long as having a baby and then they grow old enough to be a freshman or start of sophomore year in college.
you all are making me feel old

Tourney games to watch in regard to our coaching search:
NCAA Tournament GameCoachDay/TimeTVArena
14 Akron vs. 3 CreightonJohn Groce - AkronMar. 21/12:30 p.m.TNTPPG Paints Arena - Pittsburgh
10 Colorado State vs. 7 TexasNico Medved - Colorado StateMar. 21/5:50 p.m.TNTSpectrum Center - Charlotte
10 Drake vs. 7 Washington StateDarian DeVries - DrakeMar. 21/9:05 p.m.Tru TVCHI Health Center - Omaha
12 UAB vs. 5 San Diego StateAndy Kennedy - UABMar. 22/11:45 a.m.TNTSpokane Veterans Coliseum
13 Charleston vs. 4 AlabamaPat Kelsey - CharlestonMar. 22/6:35 p.m.Tru TVSpokane Veterans Coliseum
12 Grand Canyon vs. 5 St. Mary’sBryce Drew - GCUMar. 22/9:05 p.m.Tru TVSpokane Veterans Coliseum

DeVries is my first choice, Wade is my second.

Agree with these two, not really sure in which order. I'd put Wade #1 if i knew we could get 10 years out of him before he moved on/up. McCollum has really piqued my interest, but definitely not in my top 2. Top 5 for sure, though.

A name I don't recall seeing mentioned but might be good...what about Fred Hoiberg?

Proven at ISU. And especially if this week he can get nebrasky their first ever tourney win, I'd say he merits a look.

A name I don't recall seeing mentioned but might be good...what about Fred Hoiberg?

Proven at ISU. And especially if this week he can get nebrasky their first ever tourney win, I'd say he merits a look.
After several frustrating years (and being forced to take a pay cut) Hoiberg is finally getting Nebraska back to being decent. I doubt he'd want to leave now to do another complete rebuild.

Hoiberg just signed a new contract yesterday that pays him $4.25M per year, so I doubt he would leave Nebraska now.

Why do we not like the idea of McDermott again?

Save the "he won't come here" replies. No one but him, his wife and agent know that. I want to know disqualifies him as a coaching option for so many of our fans.

Why do we not like the idea of McDermott again?

Save the "he won't come here" replies. No one but him, his wife and agent know that. I want to know disqualifies him as a coaching option for so many of our fans.
Who says they wouldn't want him? I think most don't consider him because of the reason you do not want to hear.

For me I would prefer a younger coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back