Who Should OSU Hire as Next Basketball Head Coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Head coach experience does show how someone can run a program, but ultimately it does not matter whether we hire an assistant or head coach. Need someone that can recruit, have a sound coaching philosophy, and understands adjustments and game planning for opponent.

Boynton could recruit, but his game plans and styles against opponents did not advantage his teams.

Btw, there are A LOT of HS coaches that are just as good or even superior running a program and game planning than current college coaches. Not saying he should be top choice, but Brian Montonati should merit discussion.
I also get the feeling Boynton was just to much of a friend to the players. I don't think he really motivated them. That is just a feeling though and I don't have a ton of information to go on.

Imagine how beautiful this would be if it was out guys…..85,86,87,88.

Sad Jim Carrey GIF by Laff

I don't care who it is but he better understand that you have to play extremely tough physically and mentally like Houston does. Just held TCU to 15 points in first half. Everything TCU is trying is not only contested but just flat out hard for them, just like we used to do. Love how that team plays. If we're not going to be that tough, we better have a system that can flat out score buckets. UH is up 31-15 at half and Sampson was very unhappy about how they had performed.

Shuffled feet thats a travel. Travel. Travel. Good shot. Travel.

I kid. I'm not a huge fan of games that become 3 point contests, but having a roster full of shooters like that would be a blessing.
All I saw was more makes in a 10 second video that we might have had all year. Swish, swish, swish, swish not clang, doink, air, clang, glass breaking somewhere.......

No. A HS HC should never be in the discussion for Big 12 HC job. Assistant coach? Sure but never a head coach.
To be clear, I am not advocating for Montonati. Nor any specific HS coach. And I certainly agree that an AD hiring one would be a shocker.
But why not a HS coach? Reason is it doesn’t happen is simply because ADs are afraid of risky hires.

1) Not doubt there are HS coaches that run a program and understand basketball much better than some B12 coaches. Can think of 2 in eastern OK now.
2) College athletics has changed dramatically over last couple of years. Transfer portal, NIL. Relationships with players has moved way up in the priority of skill set needed.

The reason I brought up a HS coach was 1) Montonati has strong OSU connections; 2) UConn’s Danny Hurley went straight to college from coaching at a prep school in New Jersey - he just won a national title; 3) who I see as one of the top college coaches is Bucky McMillan of Samford. He would be a great hire and who I would push as a candidate.

Bucky McMillian has turned the Samford program around in just 4 years. In 21 previous seasons, Samford won 20 games just twice. Bucky’s teams have more than 20 wins now in 3 straight seasons.

Btw, Bucky McMillian was hired straight from the HS coaching ranks.

To be clear, I am not advocating for Montonati. Nor any specific HS coach. And I certainly agree that an AD hiring one would be a shocker.
But why not a HS coach? Reason is it doesn’t happen is simply because ADs are afraid of risky hires.

1) Not doubt there are HS coaches that run a program and understand basketball much better than some B12 coaches. Can think of 2 in eastern OK now.
2) College athletics has changed dramatically over last couple of years. Transfer portal, NIL. Relationships with players has moved way up in the priority of skill set needed.

The reason I brought up a HS coach was 1) Montonati has strong OSU connections; 2) UConn’s Danny Hurley went straight to college from coaching at a prep school in New Jersey - he just won a national title; 3) who I see as one of the top college coaches is Bucky McMillan of Samford. He would be a great hire and who I would push as a candidate.

Bucky McMillian has turned the Samford program around in just 4 years. In 21 previous seasons, Samford won 20 games just twice. Bucky’s teams have more than 20 wins now in 3 straight seasons.

speaking of Bucky

I don't care who it is but he better understand that you have to play extremely tough physically and mentally like Houston does. Just held TCU to 15 points in first half. Everything TCU is trying is not only contested but just flat out hard for them, just like we used to do. Love how that team plays. If we're not going to be that tough, we better have a system that can flat out score buckets. UH is up 31-15 at half and Sampson was very unhappy about how they had performed.
One thing to watch for w his teams and what I want in a coach. It’s not the theory it’s the mindset.

Watch when they are shooting free throws. It is an all out battle. 2 bigs on the blocks not conceding a damn thing. Pushing. Fighting. Moving to the rim.

Apply that concept to every possession. Every shot. Every pass. Every screen. Make the other team hate playing.

One thing to watch for w his teams and what I want in a coach. It’s not the theory it’s the mindset.

Watch when they are shooting free throws. It is an all out battle. 2 bigs on the blocks not conceding a damn thing. Pushing. Fighting. Moving to the rim.

Apply that concept to every possession. Every shot. Every pass. Every screen. Make the other team hate playing.
They do not take possessions off and they don't pout when something doesn't go perfectly. They just go make the next play.

As to 2 and 3 both coaches went to small conference schools first. A HS coach should never be discussed for power conference HC job. If an AD of a power conference ever even considered hiring a HS HC for the HC position they should be fired.

As to 2 and 3 both coaches went to small conference schools first. A HS coach should never be discussed for power conference HC job. If an AD of a power conference ever even considered hiring a HS HC for the HC position they should be fired.
If we were going to do that and we didn't hire the Monte Verde coach, then yes that AD should be fired. Dude has already proven he can recruit the best players, get the most out of them, plays full court pressure and scores 90 a game. The team that had CC on it as a senior would have beaten our rears head to head. :ROFLMAO:

Will Wade at McNeece State. Worked under Shaka Smart and Shaka loves him. First year at MSU won their conference and is going to NCAA for the first time since 2002. Lake Charles loves him. 17-1 in conference.
Heck, would smart be interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back