Ryan Walters calls for Ten Commandments in every classroom, promotion of 'Western culture'

Once a teacher has their feet on the ground, I believe they should join the union. You never know what might happen and you’ll need representation. Wife and I were both members for 70 years combined. Had need of them several times.
I'll bite under the desire to help guide my daughter. What situations have required union representation?

I ask this honestly and with history of my wife and mom never needing anything from the union (they have similar combined years - all in Oklahoma public schools).

I'll bite under the desire to help guide my daughter. What situations have required union representation?

I ask this honestly and with history of my wife and mom never needing anything from the union (they have similar combined years - all in Oklahoma public schools).
Principal picked unqualified person for a position. Guidelines clearly pointed to my wife filling the paid position. Filed a complaint, and with representation she won. I was on the professional negotiations team(a hot target). Bosses wife got upset at me, she and boss went after me in a faculty meeting(unprofessional, embarrassing, and unnecessary). Secretary told me boss wanted to see me at 6:30 the next morning. When I arrived the next morning with the president of our chapter, the boss says “this was not going to be a reprimand.” I said “ I know, I got mine in front of the whole faculty yesterday “. By the end of our brief meeting, and because I had representation, he kind of apologized! His wife never did.

Last edited:
People who aren’t members like to pretend that the dues are just too high, but if they get into trouble they join immediately and expect the union to fight to the death for them😎

Several situations:
1. Your daughter will be on a temporary contract, that contract can cover four semesters, when she comes back on her third year it should not be temporary. The professional organization can help if this doesn’t occur which happens more than you would imagine.
2. If a Reduction In Force occurs the professional organization will provide consultation and representation
3. The professional organization will help a young teacher in representing the teacher in a due process action.
4. The liability insurance aids in protecting the employee interests if a legal issue arises.
5. The professional organizations do protect due process rights of their members.

If the legal services are required once it would pay for three to four years of dues. There are groups besides OEA

Several situations:
1. Your daughter will be on a temporary contract, that contract can cover four semesters, when she comes back on her third year it should not be temporary. The professional organization can help if this doesn’t occur which happens more than you would imagine.
2. If a Reduction In Force occurs the professional organization will provide consultation and representation
3. The professional organization will help a young teacher in representing the teacher in a due process action.
4. The liability insurance aids in protecting the employee interests if a legal issue arises.
5. The professional organizations do protect due process rights of their members.

If the legal services are required once it would pay for three to four years of dues. There are groups besides OEA
Appreciate yours and Pokey’s thoughts. I have some differing views on value of teacher union membership for educators, but recognize value may differ depending upon school district and administration.

I believe my daughter is attending a union sponsored lunch tomorrow for new teachers. I haven’t asked her if she decided to join or not, but guessing by experience from her mom, and her comments last night about not wanting to lower her 457b, that she is leaning against joining.

Please understand this does not mean I approve or endorse the political views o
Appreciate yours and Pokey’s thoughts. I have some differing views on value of teacher union membership for educators, but recognize value may differ depending upon school district and administration.

I believe my daughter is attending a union sponsored lunch tomorrow for new teachers. I haven’t asked her if she decided to join or not, but guessing by experience from her mom, and her comments last night about not wanting to lower her 457b, that she is leaning against joining.
i wish her well in her career. I enjoyed my time as a teacher and it really is a calling.

Principal picked unqualified person for a position. Guidelines clearly pointed to my wife filling the paid position. Filed a complaint, and with representation she won. I was on the professional negotiations team(a hot target). Bosses wife got upset at me, she and boss went after me in a faculty meeting(unprofessional, embarrassing, and unnecessary). Secretary told me boss wanted to see me at 6:30 the next morning. When I arrived the next morning with the president of our chapter, the boss says “this was not going to be a reprimand.” I said “ I know, I got mine in front of the whole faculty yesterday “. By the end of our brief meeting, and because I had representation, he kind of apologized! His wife never did.

So your wife got the union involved so she could be put in a position her superiors didn’t want her in for some reason? How much would it suck for everyone involved to go into work every day knowing that information? You’d think that would flavor every professional interaction between them. In your situation, why was your boss’s wife in the faculty meeting? Is she on staff and if so why would she be allowed to work directly under her husband? Are there no nepotism rules in this school district, or is that some union protected thing? My wife and I were both Directors at the same state agency,(TX) When she was offered a promotion where she’d be my boss the options were I could either transfer to another division within the agency, leave the agency, or she could turn down the position. Not trying to call you out, but why involve a union rep in a meeting with your boss until some improper disciplinary action was either taken against you or threatened? Is that what you were expecting to happen that morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So your wife got the union involved so she could be put in a position her superiors didn’t want her in for some reason? How much would it suck for everyone involved to go into work every day knowing that information? You’d think that would flavor every professional interaction between them. In your situation, why was your boss’s wife in the faculty meeting? Is she on staff and if so why would she be allowed to work directly under her husband? Are there no nepotism rules in this school district, or is that some union protected thing? My wife and I were both Directors at the same state agency,(TX) When she was offered a promotion where she’d be my boss the options were I could either transfer to another division within the agency, leave the agency, or she could turn down the position. Not trying to call you out, but why involve a union rep in a meeting with your boss until some improper disciplinary action was either taken against you or threatened? Is that what you were expecting to happen that morning?

There is nothing going on like you imagine. I briefly brought up two incidents when representation was appreciated. They were years apart. We proudly served our schools. I recommend a new teacher join the union as protection against people who jump to conclusions.

If it was a small town she was probably a teacher at the school he was the principal at. My first year teaching was in a super small town and like 60% of the faculty were related one way or another. Just the reality. There isn’t another division to transfer to.

Nepotism can only occur if an employee is related in the 2nd degree to the persons that actually hire people. The only group of people that can hire employees in a school district is the school board. If there are two or more principals in the district they normally evaluate the other principal’s spouse.

What is disappointing is Tulsa Public Schools desperately needs new leadership. Both with their Superintendent and several on their school board. It is a circus and their discord is harming students.

Walters is the absolute wrong person to push this issue. His stupidity is making TPS’s Dr. Gist look sympathetic.
Dr. Gist just resigned.

Back