Ryan Walters calls for Ten Commandments in every classroom, promotion of 'Western culture'

I've worked in public education my entire career. I've dealt with classrooms without books. Schools without paper for students. Schools without printers. Each classroom lacking chairs & desk and making students rotate who sits on the floor through the year. I've seen teachers be forced to pay for their own math curriculum because the school had no funding for it. I've seen teachers pay for internet access to basic educational resources. One school had no funding for a biology teacher or lab equipment and just had the kids sit in the classroom with the door locked until the bell rang.

But Ryan Walters and most conservative politicians want me to believe the problem is Ten Commandment posters and where 3 students in a school piss. I've never seen such a bold, cynical hatred for humanity and society from our leadership.

I've worked in public education my entire career. I've dealt with classrooms without books. Schools without paper for students. Schools without printers. Each classroom lacking chairs & desk and making students rotate who sits on the floor through the year. I've seen teachers be forced to pay for their own math curriculum because the school had no funding for it. I've seen teachers pay for internet access to basic educational resources. One school had no funding for a biology teacher or lab equipment and just had the kids sit in the classroom with the door locked until the bell rang.

But Ryan Walters and most conservative politicians want me to believe the problem is Ten Commandment posters and where 3 students in a school piss. I've never seen such a bold, cynical hatred for humanity and society from our leadership.
His Republican primary opponent was a strong candidate, but Walters won by pointing out some culture items that bothered many voters. Problem was those culture items were extremely rare and very small compared to other issues.

And now he keeps focusing on them rather than work to fix a multitude of problems with our education system. There is not a short list of more pressing issues, but it appears he doesn’t care.

The only item I slightly disagree is hitting Walters on funding. Teachers are getting raises this year. Plus, He actually did propose and execute a plan to increase additional teacher funding. I do need to educate myself more on it.. there are obviously some strings attached because several large school districts have announced they are not signing up for the funds.

His Republican primary opponent was a strong candidate, but Walters won by pointing out some culture items that bothered many voters. Problem was those culture items were extremely rare and very small compared to other issues.

And now he keeps focusing on them rather than work to fix a multitude of problems with our education system. There is not a short list of more pressing issues, but it appears he doesn’t care.

The only item I slightly disagree is hitting Walters on funding. Teachers are getting raises this year. Plus, He actually did propose and execute a plan to increase additional teacher funding. I do need to educate myself more on it.. there are obviously some strings attached because several large school districts have announced they are not signing up for the funds.
If you talking about John Cox I would agree. April Grace was covering up boy’s basketball coach’s new coaching manual ‘How to pickup up barely legal male students at summer pride’

Okla. Schools Boss Ryan Walters Goes Around the Bend With New Conspiracy Theory​

A Chinese-made Graco car seat is visible behind Oklahoma Superintendent for Public Instruction Ryan Walters as he sits in his vehicle, going full-out nuts in a video he would then post on X (formerly Twitter.)

“Good afternoon, Oklahomans, I’ve been looking more and more into what’s going on at Tulsa Public Schools, and it’s just been unbelievable to find out that they’re one of the only schools in the country taking money from the Chinese government,” he says in the Aug. 3 post first reported by Tulsa World and the Oklahoman.

Walters looks and sounds like a right-wing zealot as he alleges that the Tulsa Public Schools is accepting money intended to sabotage America.

“You have communist China that is giving money to Tulsa public schools in order to try to undermine our United States government, our country,” Walters continues. “It’s unbelievable.”

One reason it may be unbelievable is the fact that it does not appear to be true. The Tulsa Public Schools did have one high school teacher, Lin Tao, of Booker T. Washington High School, attend a professional development program at the International Leadership of Texas. The Texas entity partners with Confucius Classroom, which is linked to the Chinese Ministry of Education. But Tulsa Public Schools pays Tao’s salary. Not so much as a yuan comes from China.

“Tulsa Public Schools does not receive money from the Chinese government, as Oklahoma State Superintendent Walters has alleged without evidence,” the Tulsa Public Schools said in a statement to The Daily Beast on Monday.

When reached by the Daily Beast, Lin Tao sounded a lot less like somebody who is party to undermining America than a teacher who is what every kid in America should have.

“All I want to do is give the best to my students,” she said.

Tao sounded wary and ended the interview after that. She had good reason to be careful. Back in August of 2022, Walters called for a Norman high school English teacher named Summer Boismier to lose her teaching license for providing students with a QR code that linked to banned books via the Brooklyn Public Library. The teacher had already resigned, saying she did not think she could accommodate Oklahoma's new anti-woke edicts.

And in recent days, Walters has been talking about stripping the entire Tulsa School system of its accreditation, at least ostensibly due to poor academic performance, but also because it perpetuates “radical left ideology.”

Walters has in the past described teachers unions as “terrorist organizations.” but he is the one who is scaring teachers across Oklahoma. Jamie Lee, a U.S. government and history teacher in the Tulsa suburb of Bixby, told The Daily Beast that she and her colleagues are required by state law to cover the Tulsa Race Massacre and the Holocaust, but are also required to do so without talking about race or making the subject matter controversial. And they know that their ultimate judge is Walters, who caused a stir last month by insisting that the Tulsa Race Massacre was not about race.

“And so then it’s just a constant fear of someone misinterpreting what you’re talking about or someone just not liking what you’re saying,” she said. “You’re constantly fearful of ‘What if a parent who doesn’t like what I'm saying gets a hold of my lesson plan, takes it to the State [Education] Department and complains about me and I just lose my job overnight.’”

When it comes to China, Walters’ information apparently originates from such right-wing outfits as Parents Defending Education, which released a report late last month titled “Little Red Classroom: China’s Infiltration of American K-12 Schools.” The report includes Tulsa among seven school districts supposedly with “Chinese government backed programming,” adding to the paranoia by noting they are “near 20 U.S. military bases.”

The Parents Defending Education report prompted a July 30 Daily Mail story headlined “Now China is Funding America’s Public Schools.” The article included a map of the “School District with ‘Little Little Red Classrooms' Still in Operation.” They prominently include Tulsa Public Schools.

congrats oklahoma conservatives for voting this loon into his position of power..."I'm voting red (or blue; just red in this case) no matter how bat $&#! crazy my candidate appears!"

congrats oklahoma conservatives for voting this loon into his position of power..."I'm voting red (or blue; just red in this case) no matter how bat $&#! crazy my candidate appears!"
Don’t blame I was pushing the only licensed supt in the race that didn’t have a coach picking up students on grinder

What is disappointing is Tulsa Public Schools desperately needs new leadership. Both with their Superintendent and several on their school board. It is a circus and their discord is harming students.

Walters is the absolute wrong person to push this issue. His stupidity is making TPS’s Dr. Gist look sympathetic.

A 12 cent poster in classrooms doesn’t bother me if that’s what Oklahoman’s are looking for, but this guy looks to be a complete tool and shouldn’t be allowed in polite society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okla. Schools Boss Ryan Walters Goes Around the Bend With New Conspiracy Theory​

A Chinese-made Graco car seat is visible behind Oklahoma Superintendent for Public Instruction Ryan Walters as he sits in his vehicle, going full-out nuts in a video he would then post on X (formerly Twitter.)

“Good afternoon, Oklahomans, I’ve been looking more and more into what’s going on at Tulsa Public Schools, and it’s just been unbelievable to find out that they’re one of the only schools in the country taking money from the Chinese government,” he says in the Aug. 3 post first reported by Tulsa World and the Oklahoman.

Walters looks and sounds like a right-wing zealot as he alleges that the Tulsa Public Schools is accepting money intended to sabotage America.

“You have communist China that is giving money to Tulsa public schools in order to try to undermine our United States government, our country,” Walters continues. “It’s unbelievable.”

One reason it may be unbelievable is the fact that it does not appear to be true. The Tulsa Public Schools did have one high school teacher, Lin Tao, of Booker T. Washington High School, attend a professional development program at the International Leadership of Texas. The Texas entity partners with Confucius Classroom, which is linked to the Chinese Ministry of Education. But Tulsa Public Schools pays Tao’s salary. Not so much as a yuan comes from China.

“Tulsa Public Schools does not receive money from the Chinese government, as Oklahoma State Superintendent Walters has alleged without evidence,” the Tulsa Public Schools said in a statement to The Daily Beast on Monday.

When reached by the Daily Beast, Lin Tao sounded a lot less like somebody who is party to undermining America than a teacher who is what every kid in America should have.

“All I want to do is give the best to my students,” she said.

Tao sounded wary and ended the interview after that. She had good reason to be careful. Back in August of 2022, Walters called for a Norman high school English teacher named Summer Boismier to lose her teaching license for providing students with a QR code that linked to banned books via the Brooklyn Public Library. The teacher had already resigned, saying she did not think she could accommodate Oklahoma's new anti-woke edicts.

And in recent days, Walters has been talking about stripping the entire Tulsa School system of its accreditation, at least ostensibly due to poor academic performance, but also because it perpetuates “radical left ideology.”

Walters has in the past described teachers unions as “terrorist organizations.” but he is the one who is scaring teachers across Oklahoma. Jamie Lee, a U.S. government and history teacher in the Tulsa suburb of Bixby, told The Daily Beast that she and her colleagues are required by state law to cover the Tulsa Race Massacre and the Holocaust, but are also required to do so without talking about race or making the subject matter controversial. And they know that their ultimate judge is Walters, who caused a stir last month by insisting that the Tulsa Race Massacre was not about race.

“And so then it’s just a constant fear of someone misinterpreting what you’re talking about or someone just not liking what you’re saying,” she said. “You’re constantly fearful of ‘What if a parent who doesn’t like what I'm saying gets a hold of my lesson plan, takes it to the State [Education] Department and complains about me and I just lose my job overnight.’”

When it comes to China, Walters’ information apparently originates from such right-wing outfits as Parents Defending Education, which released a report late last month titled “Little Red Classroom: China’s Infiltration of American K-12 Schools.” The report includes Tulsa among seven school districts supposedly with “Chinese government backed programming,” adding to the paranoia by noting they are “near 20 U.S. military bases.”

The Parents Defending Education report prompted a July 30 Daily Mail story headlined “Now China is Funding America’s Public Schools.” The article included a map of the “School District with ‘Little Little Red Classrooms' Still in Operation.” They prominently include Tulsa Public Schools.

This is the crap that driving me out of education. I'm going back to school in September to facilitate a career change. The amount of brain drain going on in education right now is unreal. I have a master's degree and 10+ years of experience and I just crawled over 55k a year. It's not worth it anymore. Not when we are under attack from State.

This is the crap that driving me out of education. I'm going back to school in September to facilitate a career change. The amount of brain drain going on in education right now is unreal. I have a master's degree and 10+ years of experience and I just crawled over 55k a year. It's not worth it anymore. Not when we are under attack from State.
i've heard this from soo many teachers in the last 6 months. It is heartbreaking. You all deserver better. By far. It is unacceptable how your state is treating you guys and your Union.

When Walters called the Teachers Union a Terrorist Organization I thought it would Kill the profession of teaching in the state...and I think it just may.

And for al you folks not paying attention. Ryan Walters is doing this INTENTIONALLY . he is trying to do everything in his power to undermine the public confidence (even lying about TPS being paid by China) in public education in Oklahoama.

He wants to weaken independence in Public Education and pull the administration of PE under State Control and implement a Public Education system based in apparently the Catholic Christian Faith. I only say Catholic as that is the first one he is trying to get set up to be paid for with Public Money.

Hope we are all Catholics here, because the State Board of Ed is going to try to make your kids Prescribe to those teachings in their Public Education process if it keeps going on this trajectory .

i've heard this from soo many teachers in the last 6 months. It is heartbreaking. You all deserver better. By far. It is unacceptable how your state is treating you guys and your Union.
If you were starting as a teacher this year, would you join the union? If so, why? What value does the union provide for a good teacher?

Actually a conversation yesterday, about teacher union membership, with my daughter who is starting her first year teaching this week.

If you were starting as a teacher this year, would you join the union? If so, why? What value does the union provide for a good teacher?

Actually a conversation yesterday, about teacher union membership, with my daughter who is starting her first year teaching this week.
With how little you have to do for the state department to pull your license these days, joining a union is mandatory imo. Just for the ability to acquire representation

With how little you have to do for the state department to pull your license these days, joining a union is mandatory imo. Just for the ability to acquire representation
Fair enough.
My daughter asked my thoughts, but I attempted to answer in a way to steer her to come to a decision by herself. I pointed out that her mother (my wife) has been an educator for 30 years and other than first year on job was not in union, my mom a 40+yr educator was never in a union, but my sister has been in the union her entire career.

We discussed that pay scale is set by tenure and I have not seen any additional benefit my sister received. She did the math about union costs and then steered conversation into previously discussed plans into placing 25% in a 457b and trade-offs into cutting into that percentage to fund union fees or keep her savings at that level.

Let me clear that up. The liability insurance offered by the professional organizations is the drawing card to ‘union’ membership. There is the school of thought that the school district has insurance that will cover me. That is faulty logic, the school district’s insurance covers the board and the interest of the board which may not be the same interest of the teacher.

I don’t care if you are a teacher, principal or superintendent it is not in your best interest to count on your district to have your business interest at the heart of their concern. Is the representation of professional groups fantastic? No, but at least it is someone you have engaged and not your employer.

I deal with lots of train wrecks at the district level, normally things that are really bad. Don’t ever count on the district’s counsel of record to always protect you as an individual and never count on the district’s insurance to put you as an individual into their calculus.

Once a teacher has their feet on the ground, I believe they should join the union. You never know what might happen and you’ll need representation. Wife and I were both members for 70 years combined. Had need of them several times.

And for al you folks not paying attention. Ryan Walters is doing this INTENTIONALLY . he is trying to do everything in his power to undermine the public confidence (even lying about TPS being paid by China) in public education in Oklahoama.

He wants to weaken independence in Public Education and pull the administration of PE under State Control and implement a Public Education system based in apparently the Catholic Christian Faith. I only say Catholic as that is the first one he is trying to get set up to be paid for with Public Money.

Hope we are all Catholics here, because the State Board of Ed is going to try to make your kids Prescribe to those teachings in their Public Education process if it keeps going on this trajectory .

f4888d3b4edce0ef248699fbcddb5139.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back